DOA2 XiaoPang / redundant files and more ?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nuggetreggae
shadow

Re: DOA2 XiaoPang / redundant files and more ?

Post by nuggetreggae »

i will do it! I have the experience! PM Me!

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post by SMiTH »

nuggetreggae wrote:i will do it! I have the experience! PM Me!
hell yea.
i bet if you made a .gdi of it you could fit all of the doa2 mods that dirge of ram has made.
i forget the max size for gdi. but, i think it can go way over the 1 gb or w/e limits, same for .cdi
ian and megavolt posting about the max size for cdi and gdi.
this way you could make the mod for gdemu users and allow all of the mods in one gdi or cdi etc.
message ian or megavolt and they could tell you what the max file size for cdi and gdi is.
i forget alot of this stuff as years go by.
also all you have to do is ask anyone here and they will let you know.
people here are really good at providing info.

nuggetreggae
shadow

Post by nuggetreggae »

a good idea but i examined them all a while ago and they all have custom soundtracks coming in at 200+mb a go, and we have enough storage nowadays that we dont have to downsample stuff. I think there will be a number of "cosy" compilations, maybe 2 on a CDI or 3 on a GDI. I have seen big CDI files but am not sure yet how they are made. I dont think DJ, as that complains bitterly above 99 mins as far as i can see. I also dont think GDI can go above the maximum 984MB. Personally I dont like CDIs as they are wasteful. Why store 2352 bytes for every 2k of data when on a gdi you can store 2k of data in 2k of disk real estate. I collect CDIs because that's where the cracking happened. I need to get my head down and learn to code on this mysterious processor. I'm quite fluent in Z80 but this thing has a whole lot more bits. Happy new year anyway everyone, lets hope 2024 is a good one!

Xiaopang
noob

Post by Xiaopang »

Cool to see that some people are still interested in my stuff. Here's what I remember from my DOA2 collection:

- there's no compression at place
- only redundant files have been removed
- no files were hacked/edited unless the nfo says so. Goal of my rips was always to provide a vanilla experience (kinda tough to do with such an individual compilation, but that was the goal). Engine.bin is merely a copy protection. Nuggetraggae already figured out how I went about this.
- crc errors could be the result of me having protected the iso against manipulation and file extraction, but I'm not sure if this applies to this release.
- I didn't use mkisofs dedup feature as it wasn't reliable enough. I used symlinks instead.

I used this command line:

mkisofs -follow-links -cache-inodes -J -C 0,11702 -V DOA_2_MASTER_COLLECTION_XIAOPANG -l --hide-joliet-list hide.txt --hide-joliet JP_LIMIT --hide-joliet JP_NORM --hide-joliet JP_PROMO --hide-joliet PAL --hide-joliet US --hide-joliet FONT.pvr --hide-joliet jple.cfg --hide-joliet jpmovie.cfg --hide-joliet jpnorm.cfg --hide-joliet jppromo.cfg --hide-joliet p1.PVR --hide-joliet p3.PVR --hide-joliet pal.cfg --hide-joliet us.cfg -o data.iso -sort sort.txt dream

I might hover around here for a day before I drop out, so feel free to ask any questions.