Best Game Ever, The

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Best Game Ever, The

Post#1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:18 am

This is a very special release for me. My first ever video game. :mrgreen:

...Not the first one I've played, but rather the first one I made. To give a good comparison, programming a video game, without any previous knowledge in C (or C++? Same difference.), is probably comparable to writing a letter in Japanese without being able to understand a single kanji.

It's long, it's frustrating, yet rewarding. Thus, my game is very basic. You have to reach the goal. :mrgreen:

Err, in case you wonder: OF COURSE I could've used super hi-res art, smooth running animation (instead of the awkward running animation I've used in the game :lol: ), sure, I could've totally included different missions, enemies, or even the ability to jump.
But no, this game is supposed to be a parody of the modern gaming industry, and as such, I found it important to keep it basic... Or maybe I just couldn't do better, that's up to you to decide.

For those daring to try it out, here are teh links. REMEMBER: No homebrew collection is complete without this game anymore :mrgreen:

Image Format: CDI
Compression Format: RAR
Size: 37,9MB

Code: Select all

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXNJMSHF

DO NOT BURN THIS TO A DISC. SURE, IT WORKS, BUT IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT. USE NULLDC.

There are still problems with this game:

- It's not been optimized by me for 700MB discs. Loading times aren't that much of a problem though :mrgreen:
-Awkward running animation. It's more a lack of artistic vision and less a problem of coding. YES, I only use one leg to walk, that's perfectly legit.
- I've used a generic IP.BIN. But now I've realized why my IP didn't work LOL: It said GD instead of CD in the Media Type section. :mrgreen:

It was pretty cool to be like a god and create a video game, maybe I'm gonna keep on trying to actually make a game worth playing :P

And yes, the game IS called "The Best Game Ever". Because now I can say I made The Best Game Ever and it's not a lie :lol:
For Great Justice!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Best Game Ever, The

Post#2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 am

for some reason it didnt work on nullDC.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:04 am

Well, I'll wait before I play this one being I will be burning a disc as opposed to using nullDC.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Indiket
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:Well, I'll wait before I play this one being I will be burning a disc as opposed to using nullDC.

Are you "REALLY" sure to do this Bob? Really Really sure? I just have to say: LOL!

- Gary_b, it works on NullDC (use Chankast plugin). Also on Makaron :)
- Captain Dreamcast, after playing that game... nothing will be the same. Woah! Amazing, superb, must-have, next-gen... I won't attach any screenshot :)

So... as requesting the official protocol of the true hardcore gamer, I must ask you permision to (ejem) publish your greatfull game on (ejem) Dreamcast.es

I also have to ask you about your obligation of convert your great game into GPL. If not, my lawyers (or BlueCrab) will chase you and you will burn in hell (forever!) ^^.

Edit: As usual with videogame industry, I detected a nasty bug with the Start button (¬¬'). I'm waiting for a DLC fixing that :) (and would it be free?).

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:30 am

Sorry, I do not run emulators, I like using the Dreamcast more than my PC. Online was a problem until very recently now that Green Man has got me online via Ubuntu on my XP machine. We all have our different ways of playing games.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Indiket
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:32 am

Bob, nothing wrong with that. It's only that... well, like modern games, you can finish "The Best Game Ever" in .... 10 seconds? That's why I was making joke :d

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#7 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Indiket wrote:
Captain Dreamcast, after playing that game... nothing will be the same. Woah! Amazing, superb, must-have, next-gen... I won't attach any screenshot :)

After 11 years of development, I was able to make the game show the Dreamcast powers to the max. :mrgreen:

Indiket wrote:So... as requesting the official protocol of the true hardcore gamer, I must ask you permision to (ejem) publish your greatfull game on (ejem) Dreamcast.es

Sure, after all, it is a rare collector's item and a MUST-HAVE for everyone who wants to have every Dreamcast game :lol:
Indiket wrote:I also have to ask you about your obligation of convert your great game into GPL. If not, my lawyers (or BlueCrab) will chase you and you will burn in hell (forever!) ^^.

Okay, I'll do it one of these days. I can handle lawyers, but BlueCrab chasing me... He'd use his uber-programming skills to pwn me. ;)
Indiket wrote:Edit: As usual with videogame industry, I detected a nasty bug with the Start button (¬¬'). I'm waiting for a DLC fixing that :) (and would it be free?).

Thanks for telling me :)
There's also a small error with the CDDA, but hardly noticable.
Like all great games, mine crashes short before the ending and makes you buy expensive DLC and patches to finish the game :mrgreen:
For Great Justice!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#8 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 pm

i picked up a virus off of megaupload. i just got done reformatting my drive. has anyone else had trouble with megaupload.com giving them a virus? i downloaded many things from them with out viruses in the past. crazy shit :x

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#9 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Gary_b wrote:i picked up a virus off of megaupload. i just got done reformatting my drive. has anyone else had trouble with megaupload.com giving them a virus? i downloaded many things from them with out viruses in the past. crazy shit :x

Wait, wait, wait, did you get the virus from MU or from my uploaded file? O_O

Because I've checked the rar and the cdi with Kaspersky and it couldn't find anything.
For Great Justice!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#10 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:05 pm

when i hit download i noticed a bunch of small pop up windows. they disappeared fast, so i didn't think much of it. your file was still in the download phase so it wasn't from your game. it was from megaupload. after i tested your game i tried to go to a few web sites. one was here and then i went to youtube, all of the sudden my pc was infested with pop ups and unwanted software trying to run