Dreamcast games are coming back online. Games 'plural'

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

r34per
Anarki

Re: Dreamcast games are coming back online. Games 'plural'

Post#21 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Dingo wrote:
r34per wrote:yea for real. kinda wanna c the dreamcast live atleast another year

I'm not planning on putting mine away... new on-line games or not.
Every time I do, I just end up getting it back out again in short order. I've learned my lesson over the past decade, so now it is a permanent fixture. I own a bunch of classic consoles, but I'd sell them all before I'd part with even one of my DC's. Because of it's nature, and the size of the once vibrant home-brew scene, there is no shortage of interesting code for a hobbyist to mess around with to keep it going in the future.

Just consider this: The Atari 7800... Who has one? (Ok... I do.) Who had one? Of those few, who cares to use one anymore? Yet, in 2011 the 7800 scene is seeing the release of an expansion peripheral to the console that expands ram, functions as a high-score cart, and adds sound chips and a Pokey IC to the system. Atari 7800 has no on-line capability, nor anyone trying to add it.

If a complete bomb of a system like that can attract enough attention 2 decades after it's demise to lead to a new peice of hardware being designed, tested, implemented, and mass-produced, then things look very bright for the DC at this point to survive and see new innovations for many years to come. And this is not at all limited to (or even focused on) developments in on-line gaming. I won't dispute that the addition of more on-line games could bring more attention back to the scene, but on the same note, there is a lot more going on right now driving the scene than attempts to bring back on-line play.

i think i worded that wrong lol. i totally agree with you too. i love my dreamcast and can't bear the thought of ever selling it or any of my games for it. i'd sell my 360 first before my dreamcast. and the dreamcast homebrew scene is slowly growing still today so it does seem that there will be plenty of activity. also not to mention the dreamcast has the most emulators than any other console(i think the psp either has more or pretty close to the same) and not to mention dreamshell is still active(i think) and tons of hl mods have been ported to it as well as pc games still being ported to it and homebrew games still being made for it so there's still plenty of life in that little white box
wait and bleed

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Post#22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is on the same topic. But I've been hoping that someone would some day reenable the online features of Shenmue especially the mini game rankings system. Is that possible at all?

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#23 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Hunk_4TH wrote:I'm not sure if this is on the same topic. But I've been hoping that someone would some day reenable the online features of Shenmue especially the mini game rankings system. Is that possible at all?
i would say no but, not many do know what Nikon has in store. we have to wait and see what they are doing.

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Post#24 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Gary_b wrote:
Hunk_4TH wrote:I'm not sure if this is on the same topic. But I've been hoping that someone would some day reenable the online features of Shenmue especially the mini game rankings system. Is that possible at all?
i would say no but, not many do know what Nikon has in store. we have to wait and see what they are doing.

Ah ok thanks for thw info~ Just figured this would be a nice thing to get back online since most of us didn't get a chance to experience it.

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#25 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:31 pm

r34per wrote:
Dingo wrote:
r34per wrote:yea for real. kinda wanna c the dreamcast live atleast another year

I'm not planning on putting mine away... new on-line games or not.
Every time I do, I just end up getting it back out again in short order. I've learned my lesson over the past decade, so now it is a permanent fixture. I own a bunch of classic consoles, but I'd sell them all before I'd part with even one of my DC's. Because of it's nature, and the size of the once vibrant home-brew scene, there is no shortage of interesting code for a hobbyist to mess around with to keep it going in the future.

Just consider this: The Atari 7800... Who has one? (Ok... I do.) Who had one? Of those few, who cares to use one anymore? Yet, in 2011 the 7800 scene is seeing the release of an expansion peripheral to the console that expands ram, functions as a high-score cart, and adds sound chips and a Pokey IC to the system. Atari 7800 has no on-line capability, nor anyone trying to add it.

If a complete bomb of a system like that can attract enough attention 2 decades after it's demise to lead to a new peice of hardware being designed, tested, implemented, and mass-produced, then things look very bright for the DC at this point to survive and see new innovations for many years to come. And this is not at all limited to (or even focused on) developments in on-line gaming. I won't dispute that the addition of more on-line games could bring more attention back to the scene, but on the same note, there is a lot more going on right now driving the scene than attempts to bring back on-line play.

i think i worded that wrong lol. i totally agree with you too. i love my dreamcast and can't bear the thought of ever selling it or any of my games for it. i'd sell my 360 first before my dreamcast. and the dreamcast homebrew scene is slowly growing still today so it does seem that there will be plenty of activity. also not to mention the dreamcast has the most emulators than any other console(i think the psp either has more or pretty close to the same) and not to mention dreamshell is still active(i think) and tons of hl mods have been ported to it as well as pc games still being ported to it and homebrew games still being made for it so there's still plenty of life in that little white box

The Wii has more. This is coming from a guy that uses Wii homebrew.
Connection! Hooray!!!

Dihnekis
Quad Damage

Post#26 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 am

Dark Chi Warrior wrote:This sounds cool, hope it all works out. It could be cool to play some Dreamcast online again.

*Edit* After thinking about this for about a week I really doubt they will be able to get any Dreamcast games online that are not already online with homebrew servers. Some say that these homebrew servers are illegal anyway as they violate the DMCA. I'm not sure if this is true or not since the DMCA is written in legal instead of english. In all truthfulness my Dreamcast will probably never be online again. The BBA costs more then it's worth and doing a PC-DC server does not sound like a lot of fun to setup plus my PC does not have a modem.

My main online games back in the day were Unreal Tournament and Phantasy Star Online. I also played a little Alien Front Online and Quake III Arena. I miss playing these games online but the thing with online gaming is that sooner or later the official servers will be gone forever. I still play these games and enjoy them but I will admit that Alien Front Online single player mode is kinda weak. I still have my memories of playing these games online with all my friends from the now long dead but not forgotten Dreamcast Fanclub website (DCFC) and that will just have to be enough for me. 8-)

You can get a cheap USB modem on ebay that works great. look into zoom models, i forget which one but someone posted it on the forum here.

diogo_alex
rebel

Post#27 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm

How is this project working out?

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#28 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:05 pm

diogo_alex wrote:How is this project working out?

I'm wondering the same thing

dude2207
lithium

Post#29 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm

im intrested in how they'll bypass PS2's DNAS.

petter3k
Developer

Post#30 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 pm

News?
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.