The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Hah, I just realized that I left this thread on a rather grim outlook. :mrgreen:

Thus I'm very glad to announce some better things right now: The speed issues are fixed, I have removed the last hardcoded portions of the engine, a simple menu to select fighters has been added, the Artificial Intelligence is partially implemented, the GUI looks a lot better now, four new mystery characters had their animations ripped to be usable with the D-Engine and finally, I am currently preparing the first preview trailer.

Quite a lot of things, so some new screenshots are overdue. :D

Thanks to an awesome idea by TeamXlink, I have also set up a sourceforge page. (alternately you can click the small WWW below my post ;) ) Nothing interesting there right now, only a small part of code related to the hit detection converter. Oh, and the old screenshots. :)

TuxTheWise wrote:Dude, I didn't know you were into homebrew scene!

The D-Engine was a very secret project of mine, I was unwilling to announce it until I was 120% sure it was gonna happen. That's why I couldn't even tell you about it. :?

In fact, the only reason why I started with making DC releases was because I thought it would somehow help me to get started with game development for the Dreamcast. These days, I can hardly follow that line of logic, but hey- it worked, right? But don't worry Tux, even though your vicious archenemy, the nefarious DEPR0GRAMMER, has been kinda inactive ever since he hacked PSN, something tells me he will make an evil return soon. :twisted:

GAWD DAMMIT, another novel-length post. Impulse, can you please implement a character limit for my posts? :mrgreen:
For Great Justice!

mout
shadow

Post#22 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Video please ? :D

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Haha, I had a dream I saw a gameplay video lmao, damn, I must want this game too much lmao.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#24 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Haha, I had a dream I saw a gameplay video lmao, damn, I must want this game too much lmao.

Well it is the DREAMcast and it is Captain DREAMcast ;)

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#25 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Haha, I had a dream I saw a gameplay video lmao, damn, I must want this game too much lmao.

Now Anthony, I hope you don't mind if I break into your dreams Inception-style to steal the gameplay trailer! :lol:

Pop-references aside, the wait is almost over. The planned release date is... August 5, 2011. Considering the new features which are supposed to be added (like fatalities and other cool stuff), it may not be completely done by then, but I'll definitely release a beta-, alpha-, lambda-, whatever- release that day. Something playable! :D
Neohound wrote:Well it is the DREAMcast and it is Captain DREAMcast ;)

Heh, if it wasn't too unbelievably obvious, I should probably call it the Dream-Engine! :lol:

mout wrote:Video please ? :D

Not yet, not yet. :(

Yeah, I keep pushing this trailer around a lot, but only because I want to make sure it rocks. And I don't wanna show off some cheap Windows-Movie-Maker magic, if you know what I mean. ;)

That reminds me, does anyone remember that I wanted to test the D-Engine's limits? Well, I did, and here are the results:

Yeeeeaaaah! Finally some Dreamcast-worthy graphics! Technically, the background's resolution could even be twice as high, but I couldn't find anything better than this Street Fighter Alpha BG. The lifebars are still pretty basic, but miles better than the yellow bricks of doom from before. :)

Expect more cool stuff now that my summer holiday has begun and I can work on the D-Engine seven days a week. :mrgreen:
For Great Justice!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Wow that looks epic! You have made improvements that I like. 1+

Don't forget to update your thread at dcisozone, my little minions are eager to hear what gifts you come bearing. ;)

Keep up the great work bro, it looks better and better each time you show it off.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#27 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:00 am

Hey Captain, I recently named my 7 week old kitten DREAMcat lol

BTW, would I be able to create a game using models or textures from Shenmue ? Or is that a no no. I quite fancy a Ryo vs Lan Di scrap 'Dolmexica style' if possible.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#28 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:29 am

Neohound wrote:Hey Captain, I recently named my 7 week old kitten DREAMcat lol

Haha, that's an epic name dude! ;)

*Points to Anthony's signature*
Let's hope nobody buys from Sony... :mrgreen:

Neohound wrote:BTW, would I be able to create a game using models or textures from Shenmue ?

Uff, pretty difficult up to impossible. The engine is completely in 2D, so there is no way to use the models, and working with the textures to create a usable image for even a single frame would probably take forever...

The only feasible way I can think of right now is using some sort of model+texture viewer and taking a screenshot from just the right angle for every frame. It would still take quite a long time, but the epic Ryo vs. Lan Di fight would be worth it, right? ;)

Neohound wrote:I quite fancy a Ryo vs Lan Di scrap 'Dolmexica style' if possible.

Every Shenmue fan's dream...

This reminds me of something I saw earlier:
(This is BrAzE's avatar from DCiSOZONE, so all credit goes to him.)

This is what I imagine a Dolmexica style Lan Di could look like! :D
For Great Justice!

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#29 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 am

Sony wouldn't have a chance against my kitten. It's fully trained in both the litter tray and the ways of Ninja. Bite on sight.

I suspected the Ryo vs Lan Di idea wasn't that easy to implement. That Lan Di animation reminds me of Ryo's move list character in the Shenmue menu. Could that be captured somehow ?

Anyway, not wanting to take the thread too far off topic........

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#30 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Neohound wrote:That Lan Di animation reminds me of Ryo's move list character in the Shenmue menu. Could that be captured somehow ?

Great idea, the animation would be at just the perfect angle and easy to rip. :D
One possibility would be to replace the background behind the move list character with just green to make ripping and preparing the sprites easier.

If NullDC supports Shenmue, it's possible use a program like TexMod to remove the background texture, throttle down the emulator 'till it only advances one frame every minute and make the screenshots, maybe even with an automated program like Animget. Way easier than the Model+Texture Viewer I had in mind! :mrgreen:

That would cover Ryo, but what about Lan Di? I'm really not familiar with the Shenmue scene, but I heard there have been a few texture mods. Perhaps a tad farfetched, but has there ever been a Play-as-Lan Di mod which replaces the move list character with Lan Di? :?

Neohound wrote:Anyway, not wanting to take the thread too far off topic........

It's not like there's much else to talk about right now. :lol:

To have some updates: There is now a point system and I have tried to add Music for the first time. Speed issues appeared with certain audio formats, so MP3 and OGG are out of the window. :|

In fact, I am currently tingling between the normal CD Audio/.wav or some custom format which would come with a custom encoder. Only time (and this thread) will tell. :P
For Great Justice!