New "DLC" coming to 4X4 Evo

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

New "DLC" coming to 4X4 Evo

Post#1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 am

You read that right. We are going to get new cars and hopefully tracks in 4X4 Evo for our Dreamcast! The game is a Windows CE game, so it is so close to the PC version that we can mod it similar to the way we mod Half-Life on Dreamcast. I only seen car mods in GTA on teh original Xbox, so this is a pretty big advancement to our thriving homebrew and modding community. :mrgreen:

Check this new Jeep mod out.

http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/f109/4x4- ... -mod-3928/

cptPauer, the creator of the mod is taking suggestions, so if there are new cars you would like to see on the Dreamcast, or new music you would like to see included in the game speak now of forever hold your peace.

You can find car mods here.

http://vales.com/gaming/

I also blogged about it if anybody cares to look.

http://rdcproject.blogspot.com/2011/11/ ... 4-evo.html

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Re: New "DLC" coming to 4X4 Evo

Post#2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:59 am

Anthony817 wrote:You read that right. We are going to get new cars and hopefully tracks in 4X4 Evo for our Dreamcast

Yep, it works. My friend Excalibur007 (the XDP guy) did this back about 3-4 years ago by adding cars to the DC version. The DC version is very picky about what you try to use in it. A lot of the times you have to scale back the poly count before some of the trucks work and not crash the DC, all the while cleaning up the textures used on said trucks. One thing he tried to do was add popular tracks to the disk but could not get them to work (if i remember correctly), its even more picky with tracks that use textures from diffrent tracks that the textures wasnt from it would crash the DC when you tried to load them (reguardless if it was downloaded in game). i know he used a few of Kujo's trucks in it, and a few monster trucks.

The trucks is the easy thing to add in comparison to tracks on the CD.

Good luck with getting custom tracks to be played from the disk, Your going to need it.

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:42 am

Sorry about the dbl post (hit PS3 text limit)

The truck that i used a lot was the Ford F-150 SVT Lighting from http://www.shadys4x4world.2ya.com/, I tried to get Excalibur007 to put it into his custom 4x4 evo but he never got around to do it for me. I dunno if vales has all of kujos trucks that use to be on his site (seem to no longer work, http://kujo.jalexp.com/). I always was with Nelly, Excalibur007, wheelsmoke, DTjammer, kujo, bluerose (RIP) and her husband and a few others. I do miss playing this game and all of the people that i have met when i was playing.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 am

I find it amazing this is not more widely known. I'll be sure to pass this info along to the modder. He did try and add Monster Truck Madness 2 tracks that worked on the PC version but he couldn't get them to load on DC. He said he had a few ideas in mind but we will definitely see.

This was my first Dreamcast game I bought in 2000. Played it a lot. The prospect of actually playing with custom content on the DC is pretty amazing to me.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 am

Brilliant news Anthony. Although Madmax has tempered my mood on whether it's workable or not.

I always felt that for a game about 4x4 vehicles it was lacking the best vehicles in the world: LANDROVER & RANGE ROVER :x I wonder if it was a licensing problem rather than an oversight ? Anyway, it would be nice to see the series 1,2,3 and current Landrovers plus maybe the modern Discovery and Range Rover models in there if possible.

It was one of the first games I ever imported and me and my brother played it to death but stupidly we never went online with it. I don't know if the game even works with the BBA.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well in this project.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 am

The BBA only supports 2 games, Quake and PSO.

Anyway, this still works over dialup. I just wish I had a revision A modem to set up a PC-DC server. :(

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:32 am

Anthony817 wrote:The BBA only supports 2 games, Quake and PSO.

Anyway, this still works over dialup. I just wish I had a revision A modem to set up a PC-DC server. :(

Ok, I keep meaning to ask whether my provider can give me dial-up as part of my package. This might be the kick up the butt I need to get it sorted.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#8 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:15 am

=O

Nice work ppl

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#9 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 am

Another vehicle I'd like to see in the game : Lamborghini LM002 8-)

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#10 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:09 am

The one thing i always wanted to see if if the max players could get bumped up to 5 or 6 players. and various bugs fixed like the weird opposite physics when compared to the PC version. like in the DC version you would have a hard time climbing a hill because the rear of the truck would act like the front (rear wheels would act like your driving up the hill in reverse and would come off the ground), and the front would act like the rear which killed momentum. body roll looked weird (leaning into the turn like a bike) center of gravity seemed way off (like it was under the truck then where it should be), if anyone has played the PC version and tried the same track on the DC version they know what i am talking about.

looking into and fixing bugs in the DC version is a tall order, but could be doable, and might not be.

I know that adding trucks can be done (i forget if there is a limit or if you have to remove a normal truck to add a custom truck), Tracks might not be. This is where a SD adapter would help.