Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neohound
Gold Lion

Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

Post#1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Quite simply I'm asking you all which Dreamcast game is the best looking. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and each person will have a different point of view. I accept that it's very subjective but am interested in all perspectives.

Mine would be:

Rez - There must have been a time when Kandinsky (an influential artist whose work inspired Tetsuya Mizuguchi to make Rez) went from painting ordinary compositions to realising a more abstract aesthetic was needed to express himself. I played ordinary looking games before Rez and all of a sudden WHAM ! I'd never look at games the same way again.

JSR - OK, cell shading has been done many times since this game but JSR still looks fresh, bold, cool and colourful. A cartoon come to life, it's well gorgeous

Shenmue - Yes, the game tried to be 'realistic' but it never really worked out that way. No, it was far too beautiful to be real !! Even though you felt like you were in a living, breathing world, It still looked like a Sega videogame through and through. It's ART, I won't listen to anyone who says otherwise ! lol

Last Blade 2 - Whoever dreamt up the backgrounds and characters then translated them into some of the most breathtakingly gorgeous pixels to ever grace a videogame, well they deserve a place with the gaming gods. Achingly beautiful and eminently playable too.

Cosmic Smash - The look of this game combines elements of colour, lines, shapes and light which together paint a very purdy picture. It's certainly not just a pretty face though, this game is cool and minimalist with psychedelic touches yet also plays like the perfect arcade experience.

You might agree with me, you might not !! Whatever, just list one, or as many as you like, of games that really stand out to you as being beautiful in some way. I want to try and get the full spectrum of opinions if possible :)

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

Post#2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:41 pm

I would like to add Outtrigger to the list! I feel like it so often gets ignored but its a truly beautiful game to look at. It has such a cool Sega/arcade feel that has never really been done in an FPS to my knowledge and the control scheme worked surprisingly well on the DC's controller. I never hear much talk about it but it is the only exclusive FPS for the Dreamcast that I can think of and fits the system perfectly.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 pm

SKIES OF ARCADIA!

Beautiful :D

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:02 pm

BrianC, you picked two Sega games and four out of my five were from Sega and in fact they are all japanese.........notice a pattern forming ? :) What does that tell us I wonder ?

I didn't have Outtrigger in my mind at all when I made this topic but now you've brought it to my attention I have to agree with you. It has that classic Sega appearance which contrasts quite alarmingly with the pallette used in many other, mostly western, fps and is all the more striking for it. Great choice.

Skies Of Arcadia, again, has that definite Sega 'look'. All bold primary colours but when it needs to, in Valua for example, it can still appear gritty, dark and foreboding. I think that Sega during it's zenith, and like Disney before them, had their own trademark 'look' which shone through no matter what the game's genre.

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I love the backgrounds of Ikaruga. Also DOA2 has some nice visuals. Soul Calibur is gorgeous in its own way, more for the full realization of its crispness and color.

These are additions to the thread; I already agree with alot on the list.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Three more japanese games !

The first time I saw Ikaruga moving against those luscious 3d backgrounds, I was gobstruck (english phrase, sorry lol).

The graphics in DOA2 were primarily best known for one thing. Actually, more like a couple of things !! :lol: But check out those stages for beauty, some of the lushest background environments on the DC.

I remember a few years ago when the question on everyone's lips was "Which game has the best graphics, DOA2 or Soul Calibur ?".

And the winner was..............both of them !!

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Not to get off topic but what do you think kept Outtrigger from being as successful as quake 3 or unreal tournament? I never hear it mentioned when people talk about the great Dreamcast games and it always struck me as weird

Oh and as far as that Sega look I'd have to add Power Stone. While it isn't a Sega title it manages to capture the look and feel of their games better than any third party game I can think of.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree completely with titles that have been mentioned so for some new candidates:
-VOOT: visual eye candy mecha style and a framerate that never fails or flinches, ever!
-LeMans 24Hrs: The most visually stunning racer on the console that surpasses every other port.
-Confidential Mission: A simply beautiful game with solid textures that IMO surpasses the mighty HOTD2.
-SF3 Series: While I agree that Last Blade is a 2D masterpiece in it's own right. Capcoms CPS3 tour de force Street Fighter 3 series is to this day unrivaled in terms of smooth framerate animation. VGA enabled and being able to blay the entire series exclusively on DC puts it on the top of my list.
-Project Justice: Sure this game doesn't have massive graphics of Soul Cal or DOA2, the game is colorfully appealing, models are solid and more importantly, scream originality. I'm still waiting for Momo to grace the likes of other capcom future capcom titles ;D

BrianC: Well said about Power Stone! A truly marvelous looking game.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Neohound wrote:Shenmue - Yes, the game tried to be 'realistic' but it never really worked out that way. No, it was far too beautiful to be real !! Even though you felt like you were in a living, breathing world, It still looked like a Sega videogame through and through. It's ART, I won't listen to anyone who says otherwise ! lol

100% agree on that! Shenmue is art! Even more so in Shenmue II with the walk through the forest. That whole part of the game is just breathtaking!

Another game I think would be Sonic Adventure. I've recently been playing it in VGA for the first time in the DC Live competition and I have to say it looks really good. Very colorful and sharp.

Others that were mentioned above, Soul Calibur and Jet Grind/Set Radio.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#10 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 am

Sonic Adventure for sure :D but the second one blows the first away by a mile! As for fighting games Guilty Gear X is beautiful even if not as impressive from a technical perspective as something like Soul Calibur. You guys would recommend Street Fighter 3? I have a deep dark secret, I do not like Capcom fighters or the Street Fighter series :shock: in fact I've never liked fighting games with the exception of GGX until I got my arcade stick but now I'm getting really into them! I've always found the SF series to be a bit slow paced but if someone can make a good case for 3 I'm down :)