PSO DC-Talk Server Connection guide

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

lozz
core

Re: PSO DC-Talk Server Connection guide

Post#121 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorry in advance, I know all the information needed is out there, but I just need some clarification and reassurance.

I played quite a lot in the dying years of official servers, and since then have been a player over at onlineconsoles.com. It went through the stages of temporary servers which needed new IP addresses each time, and eventually into a permanent server. It is still up and running great, but simply doesn't have the numbers.

I'm looking to get back into playing PSO online, but have a few questions to ask (I'll be using dial up and PAL ver.2)

- Can I really connect just by downloading and burning a patch disk, do I not need to enter a shittonne of codes?

- Over at sylverant is it a pretty hack-free environment? I really want to keep it legit 8-)

- Is the "DC-Talk server" a seperate entity or centralized with all others on sylverant? I can see four active ships, is one of them DC-Talks?

I think a lot of people which I used to play with are still online (Recognize lots of the usernames here!) and would love to get back online.

Any help is appreciated, Cheers, lozz.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#122 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm

lozz wrote:- Can I really connect just by downloading and burning a patch disk, do I not need to enter a shittonne of codes?

You are correct sir! Simple! :D

lozz wrote:- Over at sylverant is it a pretty hack-free environment? I really want to keep it legit 8-)

Depends on the ship really but players on VEGA and Iselia are mostly legit. I don't play on Altimira so I can't comment on that ship.

lozz wrote:- Is the "DC-Talk server" a seperate entity or centralized with all others on sylverant? I can see four active ships, is one of them DC-Talks?

All the ships run on the Sylverant server code and are all listed on the Sylverant master server but they are all hosted by different sites. VEGA is hosted by Dreamcast-Talk, Iselia is the official Sylverant server, Altimira is hosted by PSO Palace I believe, and Palmacosta is a new server for Portuguese players which I believe is hosted by Sylverant.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

lozz
core

Post#123 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for the quick and informative reply! I'll burn the patch disk and see you lot down on ragol killing the wildlife and looting meseta soon.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#124 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:01 pm

lozz wrote:Thanks for the quick and informative reply! I'll burn the patch disk and see you lot down on ragol killing the wildlife and looting meseta soon.

Looking forward to it! :D I host a weekly game every Saturday if you're interested (See here for details). I also have a game every Wednesday night for all the other online Dreamcast games; you can check that out here.
PSO Characters:

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#125 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:12 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:All the ships run on the Sylverant server code and are all listed on the Sylverant master server but they are all hosted by different sites. VEGA is hosted by Dreamcast-Talk, Iselia is the official Sylverant server, Altimira is hosted by PSO Palace I believe, and Palmacosta is a new server for Portuguese players which I believe is hosted by Sylverant.

Sylverant actually hosts all of the ships except Vega. DC-talk used to have separate shipgate until we merged together a couple years ago so now we just host the Vega ship.
Regards,
brourke228

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#126 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm

brourke228 wrote:Sylverant actually hosts all of the ships except Vega. DC-talk used to have separate shipgate until we merged together a couple years ago so now we just host the Vega ship.

Yeah, I remember that announcement. I believe that was before I started playing PSO online. I didn't know Altimira was hosted by Sylverant though. I figured it was hosted by PSO Palace since it's their ship. You learn something new every day! :)
PSO Characters:

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#127 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 am

BlueCrab was gracious enough to put Altimira on the same host as Iselia, since I don't have an Internet connection suited for server hosting. Palmacosta is hosted by the Brasilian PSO community, so I assume its host is located somewhere in Brasil.

lozz wrote:Over at sylverant is it a pretty hack-free environment? I really want to keep it legit 8-)

The people who enjoyed cheating on PSO got bored with it and quit many years ago, so you no longer have to worry about people NOLing you or even running around with 180% S-Rank Needles anymore. It is however worth noting that all of the main ships contain quests that were not present on Sega's server (some from JPBB, and some from homebrew development), and some of those quests will allow you to get items that were previously unobtainable. You should decide how closely you want to adhere to Sega's standards before you start playing, and you can always create multiple characters if you want to make distinctions between what you do on different ones.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#128 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:03 pm

brourke228 wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:All the ships run on the Sylverant server code and are all listed on the Sylverant master server but they are all hosted by different sites. VEGA is hosted by Dreamcast-Talk, Iselia is the official Sylverant server, Altimira is hosted by PSO Palace I believe, and Palmacosta is a new server for Portuguese players which I believe is hosted by Sylverant.

Sylverant actually hosts all of the ships except Vega. DC-talk used to have separate shipgate until we merged together a couple years ago so now we just host the Vega ship.

Aleron Ives wrote:BlueCrab was gracious enough to put Altimira on the same host as Iselia, since I don't have an Internet connection suited for server hosting. Palmacosta is hosted by the Brasilian PSO community, so I assume its host is located somewhere in Brasil.
As Ives says, I don't actually host Palmacosta. It is indeed hosted elsewhere, and judging by the whois information on the IP address, I'd assume it is indeed hosted in Brazil.

Impulse
Admin

Post#129 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:07 am

Bluecrab is hosting a cool server event for all ships (at least Iselia and Vega atm).

I'll let BC do the explaining:

"Well, even if it is a few hours early for me, officially by the server’s time (UTC), it’s the new year. So, it’s time to unveil a new feature of the server that hopefully some people will find enjoyable. :)

Last year, I started accepting donations in Dogecoins that would be put toward server events and whatnot. Today begins the first of these events! As of the time of the writing of this post, the donations wallet has just under 14,000 Dogecoins in it, so I’ll put 7,000 coins up for grabs in the event that starts today.

How the event will work is as follows, anyone who wishes to participate in this event (as well as any future events) must be logged into his or her account on the server (i.e, you have to have used the /login command in-game), and then must use the new /trackkills command. Once you do so, the server will keep track of the enemies you kill in-game and will automatically record them when you leave the team you’re in. Note: the new /trackkills command and enemy tracking will only work on recently updated ships, which means Iselia, Altimira, and Vega at the moment (hopefully Palmacosta updates relatively soon to enable this feature).

For the current event running, your kill counts of certain Episode 1 enemies (no, I’m not telling you which ones, but feel free to try to figure it out ;-) ) will be totaled up across all free-play (non quest, non challenge, non battle) teams that you participate in for the next month. At the end of the month, the top three players by that count will receive a prize. It’s as simple as that. First place will take home 4,000 DOGE, second place will take home 2,000 DOGE, and third place will take home 1,000 DOGE. Winners will be contacted by me after the end of the month to figure out where to send their winnings (and if any winners wish to reinvest their winnings in the donations pool, they are more than welcome to do so).

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys our first server-wide event and I hope everyone has a great new year.

PS: Continue reading for answers to a few questions you might have…

Frequently (or not so much) asked questions about server events:

Do I need to run /trackkills every time? – No, once you log in (with “/login username password” on the server), and run the /trackkills command once, the shipgate will remember that you have opted-in to the server event and you won’t need to run the command again.

Why don’t enemies killed in a quest count? – I didn’t want anyone using any potential quests that might have a lot of enemies to get an unfair advantage for the event, so I set the event up so it wouldn’t count stuff killed in quests.

Why didn’t my kills get tracked? – First of all, as has already been said, if you played in a quest or a challenge or battle mode stage, nothing will get tracked. The team must be in free play mode the entire time you’re in it in order for your kills to count (I intend to make it so kills accrued before a quest starts count at a later date, but that code is not currently in the server). Second, you might not have killed any of the enemies that are being counted. Only 15 Episode I enemy types are being counted for this event.

What enemy types are being counted for this event? – That’s classified information. ;-) Besides, it’s more fun if you don’t know. I’ll probably reveal that information once the event is over, but until then, I’m not saying anything.

More to come later, if people ask any more questions. ;-)"
-Impulse

Boonz
rebel

Post#130 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 am

Hey I play PSO Ver.2 with my PAL version but since the disc has a lot of scratches I wanted to use my sealed JAP version.
The thing is when I try to get online with the JAP version it always tells me that my BBA needs to get set up.
I use the PSO patch cd and a BBA