Dreamcast Hub - For everything Dreamcast

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.
affection
shadow

Dreamcast Hub - For everything Dreamcast

Post by affection »

Hey guys affection here and lately I've been working on a concept I've had for a few years where Dreamcast fanatics have everything in one place. So people can simply login and have information on the latest homebrew titles, advancements on the latest technology being developed like Phantoms new OpenGL api. We would also have a new VMU game every week for people to download to keep the VMU developers active. The site would also have archives of other Dreamcast websites that have been lost in time. We would have new tutorials being added every day that would cover Homebrew development all the way to how to beat a certain stage in Chu Chu Rocket. Me and a few friends will create a weekly podcast that will cover the past weeks news and updates to an 'easy to digest' one hour podcast. The website would also incorporate all the dreamcast forums and all their posts into one place so people can have all the posts in one place.

However me and my friends can not do this alone so we would love it if people could help by offering your services such as gathering the URLs of older websites and giving them to us for us to archive it on our site, writing tutorials for us to help get all the documentation the community would ever need or even by simply giving us contact details for people that could point us in the right direction.

So what do you guys think. Would anyone be intrested in this or would everyone rather keep things as it is? I'm open to both criticism and your honest thoughts so please tell us as all it can do is better help the community.

Thanks,

Affection56k

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Re: Dreamcast Hub - For everything Dreamcast

Post by Impulse »

Moving thread to Dreamcast Community section.

Starting a new Dreamcast website can be fun and constructive. It's great to have a diverse bunch of sites out there and people will ultimately congregate at the ones with the strongest communities I think.

I started this website in 2004 with the same ideas in mind. I was just learning web design/html and was a nostalgic dreamcast fanatic so it was a perfect match. I wanted dctalk to be a source for everything DC but it was a little ambitious for just one or two people at the time. Sometimes you just have to focus on your strong points. I think our strong points is our lovely active community and our online game support. We also keep up on the news through our wonderful members. This site wouldn't be what it is without our members. Not that this site is anything fancy but I'm proud ;)

At this time we're actually working on an online archive of all the old Dreamcast game websites that were accessible through the game discs. When it comes to old Dreamcast fan/news sites I'm sure a lot of them were archived through the way back machine. Only one I can think of besides the random anglefire and yahoo pages would be the Dreamcast History website.

The part about incorporating all dreamcast forums into one area... I'm not sure what you mean? Example: would you use some coding to pull posts from all forums and then display them inside a page on this said new website? This seems like an unethical practice unless of course the forum in question is in approval of it.

Anyways it sounds like a fun ambitious project and I wish you luck.
-Impulse

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post by ch0pzta »

I like it!

Ive got plans in my head for a similar idea, but involving Quake 3 online, theres little communities here and there and a whole lot of confusion outside that, i want there to be one source that has the proper information, has guides on how to connect, links to communities like this, etc, but is the overall central hub for the online part of the game. I believe this will bring a LOT more people to the game.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

ch0pzta wrote:i want there to be one source that has the proper information, has guides on how to connect
Funny you should mention that as I just wrote an article that includes all the information you need to get your Dreamcast online and connected to the private servers for the various games. The information seems quite scattered all over the internet so it's something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

You can read it here:
http://www.dinkydana.com/article/playin ... ast-online
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post by ch0pzta »

Awesome!

I see a great opportunity here, the gap between "potential userbase" and "people who currently use" is quite fragmented and large, we need something that can be a central hub for players all over the world. I dont intend to take the place of the different communities like this one, i just a central hub that can point people to places like this, and onlineconsoles, and whatever else may exist in different countries. I see the potential for Q3 to return to something that resembles the old Seganet days, its just a matter or reaching the potential players and giving them the right info!
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

Impulse
Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: BBA Games

Post by Impulse »

pcwzrd13 wrote:
ch0pzta wrote:i want there to be one source that has the proper information, has guides on how to connect
Funny you should mention that as I just wrote an article that includes all the information you need to get your Dreamcast online and connected to the private servers for the various games. The information seems quite scattered all over the internet so it's something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

You can read it here:
http://www.dinkydana.com/article/playin ... ast-online
You're right, all the online information is scattered in many different topics. It's all around here somewhere though ;) lol I've been sitting on a definitive connection guide for some time now. Never had time to complete it :( I suppose I will still need to finish it for here. Nice guide and it was cool of you to link back to us for game scheduling, etc 8-)
-Impulse

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Impulse wrote: Nice guide and it was cool of you to link back to us for game scheduling, etc 8-)
Of course! I never miss an opportunity to tell people about the best Dreamcast site on the interwebs! :D
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

affection
shadow

Post by affection »

Hey guys. Just aliitle update on how to websites going. We have found that inporting all the website forum posts woyld be too difficult and time consuming so we had to cut that feature out however we have been doing other things such as making a dreamcast version of the site that can run okay on 36.6kbs. We still don't have much to show as everything is moduler but we will have the domain bought soon enough so don't think this project is going to waste.