'Sup guys

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Fugach
noob

'Sup guys

Post#1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey guys. Nice meeting you on the PSO server today. I'm going to try to make nice write up of what I did to accomplish the pc-dc server in ubuntu. (though it should be similar for any linux) the guide you guys link to in that one sticky was my main starting point, and the only guid I found that got me anywhere with it. I did however find it to be a little vague for those who aren't familiar with linux, and not as "step-by-step" as one would like it to be. In the interest of making it super easy for anyone to connect their dreamcast with their modem, I would love to do anything I can to help. I am also a computer programmer. I don't know if that could come in handy or not. Anyway.. I gotta get a DC keyboard so I can talk properly in the world of PSO! I'll be around!

Impulse
Admin

Re: 'Sup guys

Post#2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Hey, Fugach. Welcome! It's Shane from PSO.

We would really appreciate it if you could make a guide that is user friendly and actually works. A lot of us have trouble with the pc-dc server thing.

I'm sure your programming skills can come in handy with the Dreamcast. We are working on a lot of things for DC i'm sure we could use a hand.

See you around :) .
-Impulse

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:02 am

Welcome! Great game last night. Looking forward to Linux guide.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#4 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining, enjoyed playing PSO with you. :)

As Impulse said:
We would really appreciate it if you could make a guide that is user friendly and actually works. A lot of us have trouble with the pc-dc server thing.

It would be a great help & addition to the forums.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#5 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 am

It is good to see another PC-DC server user that uses Ubuntu. A good Linux PC-DC server how-to is something that can really be useful. The closest thing right now is the Ragol guide for NetBSD but a couple of things are missing from that guide. Anyway, welcome to the community.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#6 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:46 am

Fucach, what char do you have?

Welcome, i hope you enjoy your stay.

Fugach
noob

Post#7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Hey guys, I haven't been around for a few days. I had been working hard on refining the PC-DC server in ubuntu. I had hopes of using the modems voice capability to detect dialing on the line so that it could auto answer the dreamcast without having to have the line 'ring' (which isn't going to happen easily if you aren't connected to telco, or have a phone line simulator, or some sort of home-made ringing circuit). As it stands right now you must have the DC dial and then run a command on the linux box to tell it to answer. Which isn't all that bad but I would like it to be more elegant.

In that process of testing, however, my dreamcast bit the bullet... again. This makes the 3rd time it's crapped out on me and I am out of spare parts to swap. My first DC was left on all night by a roommate in college (back in about 2002) and burnt out it's GD-ROM controller board. Then I replaced it with another that had it's spindle motor die within a few weeks (2004) since then I had swapped the original laser assembly from the DC with the blown GD_ROM controller into this one. It was working fine until last week when that spindle motor also began to loose power, and now can't spin up the disk to a readable speed. Unfortunately, I am now all out of spindle motors and am left waiting to get a replacement console from ebay. So my project is going to be on hold until that system arrives.

What a bite....

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#8 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 am

To bad dude, i also had a gd-rom problem but never to the point of not reading cd-r games, only original disks were affected.

I even remember when i used to play PSO quests using the original disk, i remember doing a quest called soul of steel and elenor took 30 minutes to load, so even if the quest is a 3 layer game i played alone since the npcs weren't loading.
After a terrible acident with my dreamcast i bought a new one and not only i swaped the damaged hardware, i also took the oportunity to swap the GD-ROM unit, i never tested it with a original game yet, but atleast i know it's in better shape.

In the end i swaped everything in the console lol.

But good luck with the new upcomming one, maybe that console will help you get back in the game.

Impulse
Admin

Post#9 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 am

Sorry to hear your Dc crapped out, Fugach. Thanks for putting hard work in to the pc-dc guide. Hopefully your new dc will arrive soon.
-Impulse

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#10 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 am

Good luck, I'm looking forward to reading your guide.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs