Dreamcast newbie 1 month in

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

blktgr74
dark night

Dreamcast newbie 1 month in

Post by blktgr74 »

Just thought I'd share my first month of Dreamcast ownership/collecting. Firstly I must say how impressed I am with the console. It is very simple to pull apart and work on/repair which is a big plus.
I sold my n64 collection to find my dreamcast (boxed n64 loose n64 13 boxed games and 70+loose games) and im so glad I did.
So far I have 2 pal consoles , 1 ntscj console , 2 ntscj consoles for parts plus 50+ games and a vga converter. The best part so far, is the good game to coaster ratio. Out of the 50 games only 7 or 8 are coasters eg buzz light year ,who wants to be a millionaire, pen pen ,hidden and dangerous, track and field and eos (there are a couple of others) but on the whole most games are very good. So far the highlights are
Alone in the dark - scary looks fantastic
Gauntlet legends - awesome hack n slash
Crazy taxi - arcade goodness
Space chanel 5 - very addictive
Code veronica - kill the zombies
Quake/unreal - both great multi players
Jet set radio - great fun great music
Chu chu rocket - bloody addictive
Power stone - button mashing at its best
Soldier of fortune - cool fps
The racers are all solid too. I have test drive le mans coming and am looking forward to playing it.
Basically to get what I have gotten so far has cost me around $500 -$600. Money well spent as Friday and Saturday game nights are something that my 11 yo son really looks forward to. Shit he even puts down the xbox 360 controller to play the dreamcast. So in summary the dreamcast is still powerful enough to halt the 360 albeit for a few hours a week. Its a shame so few know about it. Well off the ebay to try and find more games.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't have the set-up. ( yet... )

Re: Dreamcast newbie 1 month in

Post by BionicKoalaBoy »

That's a lot of gear for a month of collecting. I did something similar with my SNES collection, and my ATARI 2600 collection before that. It's nice to just change direction and collect something new. It often gets to a point were you have most of what you've been looking for, and the 'hunt' becomes less fun. I had a recent forum conversation about the fact that the collecting itself is a major part of retro gaming as well as the playing. ( My son also often plays with me on DC over the 360, usually on Gauntlet legends or Ooga Booga. ) :D

blktgr74
dark night

Post by blktgr74 »

I do agree that the "chase" is a huge part of it. Month 2 is off to a good start with a total of 23 more titles coming from all over the globe but once this next lot come in I will have all my cheaper titles. So next will be shenmue 1&2 , Skies of arkadia , gunbird ,grandia 2 and the other resident evils. These will take time as my n64 fund is running out[LOUDLY CRYING FACE].

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't have the set-up. ( yet... )

Post by BionicKoalaBoy »

blktgr74 wrote:I do agree that the "chase" is a huge part of it. Month 2 is off to a good start with a total of 23 more titles coming from all over the globe but once this next lot come in I will have all my cheaper titles. So next will be shenmue 1&2 , Skies of arkadia , gunbird ,grandia 2 and the other resident evils. These will take time as my n64 fund is running out[LOUDLY CRYING FACE].

Are you going to go in for the hardware and accessories too?

blktgr74
dark night

Post by blktgr74 »

BionicKoalaBoy wrote:
blktgr74 wrote:I do agree that the "chase" is a huge part of it. Month 2 is off to a good start with a total of 23 more titles coming from all over the globe but once this next lot come in I will have all my cheaper titles. So next will be shenmue 1&2 , Skies of arkadia , gunbird ,grandia 2 and the other resident evils. These will take time as my n64 fund is running out[LOUDLY CRYING FACE].

Are you going to go in for the hardware and accessories too?
Yes. I have a new fishing controller coming and have already bought 2 new controls&vmu's. I also have 2 guns but need to find an old tv. If I can find a keyboard and mouse I'll get them too.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post by segata sanshiro »

blktgr74 wrote:Shit he even puts down the xbox 360 controller to play the dreamcast.
My son is 9 and last week we played a Soul Calibur tourney for 3 (mom, dad and him... 8 characters each)... he handed our asses to us 4 rounds in a row!
DC forever!

blktgr74
dark night

Post by blktgr74 »

Yesterday he took the spare dreamcast into his room and played Alone in the dark for hours. It was funny the only time I saw him was when something jumped out and scared him and he needed a little break.