new to dreamcast

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

samspin
shadow

new to dreamcast

Post#1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 pm

I recently decided to try out Dreamcast gaming in this day and age.
I already have a region-free modded Saturn and have really enjoyed some classics on there, and wondered what could have been with the Dreamcast had it prevailed against the PS2.
To this end, I obtained a region-free modded console with a built-in switchable VGA socket (and audio jack). I searched for a way to get it online, preferably through broadband as we don't use telephones these days... erm... there were only a few hundred thousand broadband adapters produced to go around for millions of dreamcast consoles. Oops. I thought I found a good deal for one, but it turned out to be a modem adapter in a broadband adapter box, complete with a sealed CD. Needless to say, it turned out the original collector had been scammed, but I did get a refund. Oh well, next was to try dealing with the default modem. Erm...
I don't have a telephone socket in my attic.
I don't have a free dialup ISP in my country.
I am not the billpayer, my mother bought broadband to get rid of expensive dialup in the first place.
So, I was going to have to find a way to get online another way. After reading various guides, most turn out to recommend.. Windows 98 over XP? Erm, even XP has just recently lost security updates, 98 is too oldschool and dangerous to use online these days! Windows 8.1 is my OS, and it is so stubborn. With no older PC in my house with a spare PCI slot for a modem, I was a bit snookered. Turns out, one of my laptops (Qosmio X300-15T) has a builtin modem, which I certainly wasn't expecting as it's still fairly recent. And... I came across a line simulator down the road at my local charity- a Skutch AS-26. Perfect! After setting up a dialin setting on the laptop to always give out one of two IP's, bridging my Dreamcast onto my local network, I have found a way of getting the Dreamcast online. There's only one problem: all the Gamespy servers have been permanently discontinued, and the only way to get online is via private servers. Most patched versions of games floating around the Internet reference old hostnames due to 'ath.cx' no longer being free. There has to be another way... Luckily I have an advantage. I happen to have a static IP on my home broadband connection. I also host websites and run my own DNS. By setting up my own private resolvers (only responding recursively to my own IP), and creating dummy DNS zones I can fool the Dreamcast into connecting to private servers.
pso-dc.ath.cx IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
gsproduc.ath.cx IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
schthack.ath.cx IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
game01.st-pso.games.sega.net IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
pso.dream-key.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
pso01.dricas.ne.jp IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
game04.st-pso.games.sega.net IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master.pso.dream-key.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master.4x4evolution.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master2.4x4evolution.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master3.4x4evolution.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master4.4x4evolution.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master5.4x4evolution.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
master.quake3arena.com IN CNAME dctalk.no-ip.info
dreamcast.planetweb.com IN CNAME media.samspin.com
The last line I added so I can use the default homepage on the PlanetWeb browser to load a custom page I've created with VMI files for download being mere clicks away (dreamcast.planetweb.com no longer exists anyway).
Eureka. Now I just need a unique copy of PSO PAL V2 so I can have a legit serial and access key. From what I've heard using a publicly posted one tends to be blocked on most private PSO servers (can't blame them). Ebay... ordered. It appears this site (Dreamcast Talk) doesn't offer PSO access to the public right now, can't say I blame them, so I will be using different entries in the above list for PSO that I won't go into detail with, at least until I can play here. I intend to stick around for awhile so hopefully I will be joining soon!
More to follow... Anyone want to play Quake III, PSO (when possible) or 4x4evolution? I'm down! Get in touch with me at [email protected] or PM.
Sam

FuzzyFish
minority

Re: new to dreamcast

Post#2 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am

Actaully it's not entirely necessary to forward 4x4evolution.com as TRI was kind enough to let me have access to the domain until it's expiration. I'm always up for a round of 4x4Evo however.
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net

samspin
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:59 pm

FuzzyFish wrote:Actaully it's not entirely necessary to forward 4x4evolution.com as TRI was kind enough to let me have access to the domain until it's expiration. I'm always up for a round of 4x4Evo however.

Ah, that's good to hear! I was somehow successful persuading IGN/Gamespy to donate 'planetvampire.com' to continue the WoD gaming community independently after the Planet Network was abandoned. Glad to hear I'm not the only one successful in this kind of endeavor. What times are you on?

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#4 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Wow. you had to do all that to play online?

samspin
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm

mxlvxnn wrote:Wow. you had to do all that to play online?

Most people would give in and move their dreamcast near to a telephone line I guess, and pay for dial-up (or track down a broadband adapter), using patch code boot discs every time they boot a game to get to private servers. I'm just stubborn, don't like swapping discs constantly, and prefer to just drop-and-play by setting up using my own infrastructure so that everything is set up straight away when I feel like playing. I am patient enough to do one-off faffs for ease of use later on when it comes to technical stuff.

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#6 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:59 pm

samspin wrote:
mxlvxnn wrote:Wow. you had to do all that to play online?

Most people would give in and move their dreamcast near to a telephone line I guess, and pay for dial-up (or track down a broadband adapter), using patch code boot discs every time they boot a game to get to private servers. I'm just stubborn, don't like swapping discs constantly, and prefer to just drop-and-play by setting up using my own infrastructure so that everything is set up straight away when I feel like playing. I am patient enough to do one-off faffs for ease of use later on when it comes to technical stuff.

Its crazy how much work needs to be put in to be able to have online connectivity. The system boasts online capabilities but is impractical by today's standards. Respect to you for being able to achieve this.

FuzzyFish
minority

Post#7 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't really get on all too often to play, most of my free-time for gaming goes into programming/mods for 4x4evo PC/DC in an attempt to get the community going for it again. Though the DC version won't get much work until I finish this next patch. Going to give it hell trying to get HIT-300 support in.
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#8 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:29 am

FuzzyFish wrote:I don't really get on all too often to play, most of my free-time for gaming goes into programming/mods for 4x4evo PC/DC in an attempt to get the community going for it again. Though the DC version won't get much work until I finish this next patch. Going to give it hell trying to get HIT-300 support in.

I would be majorly interested in playing 4x4evo again as are a few of my other friends who have a BBA. Fingers crossed for BBA support.

Why the HIT-300? or was this a typo? To my knowledge this was the browser only LAN adaptor HIT-400/401 would be much more appreciated.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 am

1. If you have a home phone, most likely it connects through a telephone line. Disconnect the line in your home phone, and plug in the same one you plugged into the Dreamcast's modem. I'm pretty sure this works, too.

2. Wrong...there is no free dial-up ISPs in your country that you don't know about!

Here's a link to a free dial-up ISP in England:
http://www.aardvaak.net/free-isp-dreamcast.html ;)
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#10 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 am

Whoops. I guess the domain is for sale now. :(
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN