DreamPi 1.4 working with WiFi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Jako
Sunday Shootout

DreamPi 1.4 working with WiFi

Post#1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi!

For curiosity I tried to make wifi works on DreamPi. I don't have so many interest on it because in my case i prefer the ethernet, but works ok. In Raspbian is easy to manage a wifi and is no need to install any driver, most of models works, its linux. I proceed a normal way to config it.

*First, you need to acces to the DreamPi via SSH (for linux), JuiceSSH (Android) or Putty (windows).
*Second, download in your phone the app "fing", connect it via wifi to the same network, and serch for the DreamPi IP, that helps to conect to DreamPi.

Ok, google will explains better than me how to connect with the indicated programs to the dreampi, al you need to know is that:

IP: usually 192.168.x.x
user: pi
pass: raspberry

Ok, if you done the things right, you are via console inside the DreamPi. At this scenario, we will begin to configure your connection, and change it from Ethernet to Wifi.

1. type on the console and hit enter:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Ok, we are inside a text editor, delete everithing and put this:

Code: Select all

auto wlan0

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
dns-nameserver 127.0.0.1

press ctrl + x to exit and save, press "y", and enter. You are on the console again. Right?

2. type on the console and hit enter:

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Ok, we are inside a text editor, delete everithing and put this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={

#Replace the xxx with the EXACTLY name of your wifi network: 
      ssid="xxxxxxx"
#Replace the xxx with the EXACTLY name of your wifi keyword, if you security is wep, change the "psk" for "wep":       
      psk="xxxxxxx"       
}

press ctrl + x to exit and save, press "y", and enter. You are on the console again.

3. OK!!! only left to type on the console:

sudo reboot

That will resets DreamPi and change from Ethernet to Wifi, now ethernet doesnt works.
If you done everything fine, you will see on your Andriod, on the fing app, your DramPi alive on your network again, but now via wifi ;-).

Of not, you failed on some steep. Try again sorry :-(.

4. And last step!

On your Dreamcast, via PlanetWeb or other Browser, ONLY, ONLY change the DNS config:
DNS1 46.101.91.123
DNS2 8.8.8.8

Save, reboot the Dreamcast, try a game and Enjoy!!!

:-)

*The only problem is that the DramcastNow Id changes :-(
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Kurasiu
fire

Re: DreamPi 1.4 working with WiFi

Post#2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:09 am

Your timing is impeccable, my friend. I was just about to reconfigure the DreamPi to use the WiFi instead of a cable (since there are already a whole lot of cables running around my room), and what do I see here? A nicely written tutorial, thank you!

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Now only if these settings can be swapped on the fly after a reboot. I only ask that since those settings there are more if you want to go wireless and not have to go back to using a cat5 cord.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 pm

I just uploaded a video tutorial on how to do this. I do things slightly different but with the same end result. :)

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi!!! Great video! I like so much pcwzrd13's videos, are clear, direct and with quality. ;-)
That method is well to and "must" to works, but i say "must" because it failed when i tried (and tried again), near exactly the same "interfaces" config, but by this way, the usb Dial-Up modem dont works, inits (2 leds ok) but dont reacts to dreamcast calls.

I prefer your method because i dont have to configure anything on the Dreamcast!!! ;)
But if i dont change the DNS on Dreamcast, on wifi, most of games don't works, or any.
Why? There are some element that differs maybe, some error by my side. :-(
But needed to change the Dreamcast DNS yes or yes via wifi, im PAL user, but i think that this don't mind.

For this, i recommend @pcwizrd13 video, so much clear i think, and don't touch the Dreamkey for nothing.

scaryred24 wrote:Now only if these settings can be swapped on the fly after a reboot. I only ask that since those settings there are more if you want to go wireless and not have to go back to using a cat5 cord.

With the way that pcwzrd13 explained, you see how to switch to one to another modifyng a file.
In mi case, i don't explained how to revert, to don't do the explain more complex and with "maybe" in the head about that if the user who wants to return to ethernet will reflash the sdcard and... ready again jajajja, end-user fast psicology, if you done something before with succes, don't mind to do again XD.

With my cheap way, i switch to wifi to eth (or viceversa):

After do anything of the tuto, in the terminal, type:

sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces_eth

With this you backup a copy of the original dreampi network config. Next, if you done all the tutorial, try to acces to the DreamPi console again and type:

sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces_wifi

Now you done a copy of the working wifi setup.

From now, typing this on console:

sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces_eth /etc/network/interfaces <----For Ethernet
sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces_wifi /etc/network/interfaces <----For Wifi

you switch from one interface or another. Like you see, this is a bit mess and none of the two works at the same time, and you have to change the DNS of the DC, and, and... is not practical now jajajaj. Better to have 2 sdcard with 2 setups.

(now, thinking slowly, with a beer)
With the @pcwzrd13 config is the same, you can do a backup of the config in wifi and other in eth, and rename it when you want with a command.

Ok, going serious, all of this is only didactical because @Kazade said sometime in future (near or not, i dont remember well) that will be implemented and simplified. Is easy to do "menus" and switchs for many things on linux or a raspberry, like now.
My main wall to not implement a menu on my init.d into the DreamPi startup is because i have to configure the Dreamcast anyway, not the entire process is automatic.

Thanks @Kurasiu! Like you see, that works but now are or will be useless. I only tried to make it simple and give to the people the smooth chance of open a terminal and try it.
I know (try to don't laugh, thats real) that some people when open a terminal or see a black square with letters inside and no pictures...:
-Begins to hit a table with the head, trying newton laws.
-Drops moanings watching the keyboard.
-Jumps froms the chair like a cat in a swimming pool.
-Blows like a snake to the inside, because the head is warming and need fresh air i think.
-Calls to your phone, dear friend jajjaa, to make you connect via teamviewer or smoke signal to do job.

That cases are few, they are on their own right to hate the computers but felt in love with the Dreamcast via wifi. But hey, i know some of them personally and worth to do documental about it XD.

Bye guys! :D
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm not sure why you would have those issues when connected via Wi-Fi Jako. It's worked flawlessly for me and I haven't experienced any of the issues you mentioned. I've been able to connect to all games no problem. DreamPi even boots up a lot faster with Wi-Fi. I think it gets an IP faster than over Ethernet for some reason.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

GAM3RBAY
noob

Post#7 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi. You are a puto crack XD
Be DreamCast my friend :lol:
G3B YT
DREAMCAST PAL + RGB + SD CARD