Sega Futura Sony Survey

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012
stu
Feet of Fury

Re: Sega Futura Sony Survey

Post by stu »

:|
I think the answer is likely going to be this:

Quote" I think it's probably one of those options to make a survey more accurate by removing some of the people clicking random things by having an option nobody would normally choose (in this case a non-existing console)."

This is a comment on the forum page that eduardo linked to.

HowlingFear
fire

Post by HowlingFear »

Forgive me my impatience but the more answers you come up with the more questions I have.
Despite all the troubles SCE has better revenue than Sega (correct me if I'm wrong). Since you said that Sony wouldn't be able to release PS4 due to their financial loss, why Sega theoretically would have it instead ?
Also as I said Sony still can rely on PSP sales.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

HowlingFear wrote:Forgive me my impatience but the more answers you come up with the more questions I have.
Despite all the troubles SCE has better revenue than Sega (correct me if I'm wrong). Since you said that Sony wouldn't be able to release PS4 due to their financial loss, why Sega theoretically would have it instead ?

The fact is that despite Sony's early losses with the PS3, they have started to turn the situation around and are making a small profit off of each system sold, they have been doing this since the release of the PS3 Slim. Also the losses that SCE has made to date will likely be offset by profits that Sony makes from their other divisions. The development of a successor to PS3 is already underway, just like the next gen Xbox is currently under development. Whether it ends up being called PlayStation4 or not I guess we'll have to see. :)

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

HowlingFear wrote:Forgive me my impatience but the more answers you come up with the more questions I have.
In its 6 years of life, PSP hasn't made much of a dent in the handheld market, and with the boom of smartphones and tablets as well as the fact that DS has always maintained a substancial and larger handheld marketshare than PSP. It doesn't make a difference.

Like I said, while SCEI may have better revenue than SEGASammy, its not doing as immpressive as it should and used to be. $435 million in annual operating profit for company worth $50 billion is pretty poor. The reason why SCEI is doing so poorly is because PS3 is only preforming better in smaller markets, it remains dismal in sales and market penetration in North America.

Since SEGASammy is doing better finicially, they are able to invest $800 million or so into a new arcade board/console. SEGA never really
invested too much into one project, in 1993 Saturn's total budget was only $635 million(that's about $1.5 billion in today's inflation.) Dreamcast's was even less at just $515 million,$800 million would be the exact same budget in today's economy.

I think its pretty clear for SEGA, that its time to leave the multiplatform business. I'm glad they aren't renewing the "SEGA Corporation" brand which will expire next year. They're not really breaking even with overseas boxed multiplatform sales, and with the US software market currently very weak and with an upcomming Nintendo console who's potentional and anticpation is fading week by week, its time for SEGA to return to hardware branding. Thankfully, EA is giving SEGA a bit of a boost with letting them license properties in Japan.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post by Hiryosuke »

If sony is doing so poorly why drop the price on ps3? The fact is the production costs of the ps3 has to have plummeted...the tech is what? Six? Seven years old? Although they may not be second in sales they've been turning profit off their consoles for some time now not to mention psn is actually doing well and psp and they have a lot of support for vita and recieve nothing but praise for its capabilities. Sony's been on a constant upswing since the change in management whether ppl wanna admit it or not and ps3 is gonna have life even when their next console launches....it still hasn't been tapped out yet! In anycase sony isn't as bad off as when they launched and they r primed to make some recovery...call me crazy but i think they'll drop prices again around Christmas...take a hit on consoles and recover off software. This last price drop caused a 600% increase in sales on Amazon and u can't snub that no matter how hard u try...

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post by Hiryosuke »

Don't get me wrong i love sega and feel like the kids in my house are being depraved of their console experience but sony is where i went when they threw in the towel...screw nintendon't and microshaft. I will never like nintendo but if me learns not to abuse their customers and not knowingly release defective hardware I'll give em a chance...until then for me it's sony...possibly pc but pc gaming looks confusing to me...I got an Asus laptop with intel hd and windows 7 (which i love win 7 btw) but Idk if it'll run most pc games at an acceptable level...

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Hiryosuke wrote:If sony is doing so poorly why drop the price on ps3? The fact is the production costs of the ps3 has to have plummeted...the tech is what? Six? Seven years old? Although they may not be second in sales they've been turning profit off their consoles for some time now not to mention psn is actually doing well and psp and they have a lot of support for vita and recieve nothing but praise for its capabilities. Sony's been on a constant upswing since the change in management whether ppl wanna admit it or not and ps3 is gonna have life even when their next console launches....it still hasn't been tapped out yet! In anycase sony isn't as bad off as when they launched and they r primed to make some recovery...call me crazy but i think they'll drop prices again around Christmas...take a hit on consoles and recover off software. This last price drop caused a 600% increase in sales on Amazon and u can't snub that no matter how hard u try...
While Sony is doing better gamewise than four years ago, they still have to continue to invest in PS3, Vita is something Sony is cautiously optimitsic about. Its projected to do well, although that won't even help in putting them back into where its finicial feasible to build a Playstation 4.

While PSN has done well, its not exactly officially clear how much the hack has hurt them yet. Also, PS3 software sales are remotely worse than hardware sales.

So why is the system likely getting another price cut? Simply because the console is starting to age, its now 5 years old.

Like I mentioned earlier, Sony is rumored to be planning a PS3 upgrade, by 2014-2015 there will be little interest in the PS3, SEGA and Mircosoft will already have more powerful machines out. Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms with Sony. Keeping PS3 alive is a smart investment idea But things aren't as rosy as people think they are.

RiilihShimo
stalker

Post by RiilihShimo »

Notice it says "euro". Maybe its something going on in Europe?

When I went to the survey page, it directed me to the USA playstation official webpage. Hmmm.....
Remember 9/9/99 forever. Keep dreaming.
08/16/11[<3]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-brin ... 6857503202

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

RiilihShimo wrote:Notice it says "euro". Maybe its something going on in Europe?

When I went to the survey page, it directed me to the USA playstation official webpage. Hmmm.....
Hmmm. Indeed.

RiilihShimo
stalker

Post by RiilihShimo »

MrSega wrote:
RiilihShimo wrote:Notice it says "euro". Maybe its something going on in Europe?

Hmmm. Indeed.
Its gotta be something created by Sony because its redirecting to the USA Sony Site. I doubt its fan made.
Remember 9/9/99 forever. Keep dreaming.
08/16/11[<3]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-brin ... 6857503202