wireless dreamcast controller solution...howto

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
EightiesJordan
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: none

Re: wireless dreamcast controller solution...howto

Post by EightiesJordan »

maverick wrote:Good list so far. Can anyone confirm that the new Logitech Cordless Controller (2xAA batteries) works with total control plus? I have looked around and I cannot find the old logitech that takes 4xAA batteries.

Thanks!
If your talking about the Logitech Cordless Action controller for the PS2 (haven't tried the precision PS2 version) I can confirm it does not work with the total control plus. There was actually something someone discovered in another forum that seems to be pretty accurate when it comes to compatibility. If you look at the reciever on the wireless controller, some have a metal piece exposed where it is plugged into the slot. Here's an example:

I've noticed with every wireless controller that is compatible with the TCP this metal piece is present. With the wireless controllers that don't have it in my experience, no connection can be made.

Anyways, here are a few I know from experience are not compatible with the Total Control Plus:

Logitech Cordless Action Controller for the PS2
Mad Catz NFL Redskins Wireless Controller with non wired receiver*

I have noticed that some of the Mad Catz NFL PS2 wireless controllers actuallly include a wired receiver like the one the original Logitech Playstation cordless controller has, so I can't speak for those controllers.

The other controller that is not compatible, which actually goes against the metal piece on the receiver theory is the Pelican wireless Predator. Although I believe I've heard it did work in another forum, so I'm not positive. I've been able to get it to respond sporadically but not on a regular basis.

Anyways, in some other forums, these wireless controllers were also confirmed to work with the Total Control Plus:

The Mad Catz Microcon
The Big Ben Wireless PS2 Controller (I don't know much about this controller, but there is a video of someone using it on the dreamcast on youtube)

There were a few others, but right now I'm having trouble finding the threads they were mentioned in. Anyways, if anyone else has any input on the subject speak up, the more information the better.

EightiesJordan
noob

Post by EightiesJordan »

Anthony817 wrote:Could you link us to it or give us a picture of it and the full name of it please?
What are you referring to?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Welcome to our forums, never saw you before. XD

This is the post I was saying about.
modler2 wrote:can someone confirm the new logitech wireless ps2 controller the AA one?

EightiesJordan
noob

Post by EightiesJordan »

modler2 wrote:can someone confirm the new logitech wireless ps2 controller the AA one?
There are two wireless Logitech PS2 controllers that take double A's, the Action and the Precision. The main difference being that one supports rumble and the other does not. Here are pictures of each

The Action (supports rumble)

The Precision (doesn't support rumble, and not to be confused with the PS3 Precision Wireless Controller)

I know for a fact the former definitely is not compatible. If I had to guess I would doubt the precision isn't compatible either but I haven't tested it. Hope that answers your question.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Both look like great controllers, but I would take the first one, on design principal alone, but the second one looks more traditional.

drunkn ghost
fire

Post by drunkn ghost »

I bought a total control plus hoping it would work with the Logitech Action wireless controller but it didn't. (It was before I found this site otherwise I would have taken your word)

I just got around to trying to use it with a wired controller and it is not working with the Dualshock 2. Does anyone know if it only works with the original Dualshocks? I bought it brand new and it lights up when plugged in but I tried two different Dualshock 2's with no luck and I can't seem to find any of my older PS controllers to see if it even works.

I am guessing it doesn't work with the Dualshock 2 since the item description on play-asia says it is for PS controllers and the total control 2 says PS/PS2 controllers. Just wanted to see if anyone could confirm this.

Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Post by Macabre »

Ah I should have come across this forum alot sooner. I've been tinkering with wireless dc controllers for some time.

I have a pair of doc's, and they are true rubbish. Not only is the d-pad & analog stick switched, but the position of the analog stick is far too in the middle of the controller and causes one to stretch just to reach it, let alone push it further right. On top of that, I'm almost certain that the analog stick is just a dumbed up d-pad itself, as it seems to have a very strict 8-way registering of movements (its hardly fluid like a true analog stick).

On top of that with consistent use, the damn thing tends to get quirky, and requires one to turn the controller off for a second, then back on.

With my love for wireless I've long ago found the wonders of these controller adapters. Here is what I tend to use;

Saturn to Dreamcast adapter with wireless official controller (it fits tight as the receiver is made to fit into the saturn system). Not really useful other than MvC2 and other arcade games.

Total Control Plus with (originally the large ps2 logitech controller you guys have here) a black katana (the officially licensed ps2 wireless controller)

http://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licens ... 614&sr=8-1

I strongly recommend those who have been using this wireless setup to upgrade to this controller. I've experimented with quite a few in the past to see which ones feel best and have the best analog stick movements. The large logitech one is quite nice, but the analog stick is weaker and mine had a tendency to "wonder off" in random directions if it wasn't centered when the system was started up.

The katana on the other hand hasn't had a single quirk or flaw about it. The wireless function is top notch and can register from a different room. The battery life is by far the best of my wireless controller (excluding rechargeables obviously). The controller itself is exactly as comfortable as a ps2 stock controller, if not more so due to the textured plastic.

What I really want to try is the official Sega Surfwave ps2 wireless controller;
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Playstat ... B000EOP3GI

I have a mint-in-box blue one, but i'm a hardware collector, and since its currently apart of my collection, it cannot be opened (hush, don't make fun). What I reallllly want is to find a black surfwave (they were made in white, blue, and black), for my collection, which would then replace the blue one, and I would immediately be plugging the damn thing in to see if it works.

The thoughts of an official sega wireless ps2 controller working threw to dreamcast, as smoothly as even the logitech one, makes me drool...
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Omg! I had no idea Sega made a controller for PS2!

I want one SO bad now!

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post by Macabre »

I had to special order mine from singapore, and it was hell just trying to communicate with the seller. I got it over a year ago...and haven't been able to find another for sale (that i can easily acquire) since. I've seen only a handful appear on ebay, but wasn't able to bid at the time, or didn't want to (a broken white one for example).

Mine is mint in box, and its a very pretty box too. But from what reviews i've read, its a very poor controller. When it first came out, the most critical claims against it was cheap plastic buttons (even though the programmable features were apparently superior to any other at the time >> original logitech wireless goes here << ).

The newer review's ive been able to track down usually talk about how the analog sticks tend to give out on a few of them (the "wondering off" in random directions). I've seen three separate reviews detailing how owners controllers have had this issue. And thats when using it on ps2...
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post by Macabre »

I just won another one off ebay (my dream black one!)

Tested and after 3 hours of alien front, yes it works as well :D

Confirmed; Sega Surf Wave Wireless PS2 controller!
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~