(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Poll: Do you like the look of Dan the hero of Shadow Gangs

Yes, keep him as he is
66%
He look better in long Jeans (like Cody in final fight)
34%

Total votes: 29

Roel
Developer

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

Post by Roel »

shadowgangs wrote:Do you have an idea what the issue might be?
Hard to say...

I don't think the number of quads/tris is the problem. In Intrepid Izzy, I'm drawing far more (small) quads without issue (often well over 1000).

However, if I interpret your numbers correctly, Shadow Gangs does overdraw more than Intrepid Izzy does. I've deliberately kept the number of parallax layers quite low - usually only 2 or 3, although some old school tricks were used to make it seem like there are more.

Also, in my level editor, I can define manually where the background layers should or should not be drawn. This has helped me optimise some problem areas.

Another thing I've noticed is that normal textures using the global palettes (with 32-bit colour entries) don't seem to render as fast as VQ textures (with 16-bit colour entries). I'm not using VQ textures for compression, instead I've just filled the VQ code table with a colour palette. This effectively gives me unlimited palettes and it renders very fast.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post by Wombat »

Can't put in words how awesome the Dreamcast scene is, just look at the message above. How many times do you see developers publicly helping other developers with their challenges.

Also extremely cool seeing how Shadow Gangs shaping up. I remember seeing the first images with that kardashian inspired mural haha. And now look at it! Besides the Dreamcast version there is even an exclusive Arcade version coming..... simply awesome!

shadowgangs
Doom

Post by shadowgangs »

Wombat wrote:I remember seeing the first images with that kardashian inspired mural haha.
:shock: :lol:

Thank you for the nice comments, yes there is something coming, but not public yet 8-)
But good SG now can have proper publisher in that area, for physical goods etc...

@Roel
Thank you for the help, I get 60 fps when using 2 layers.
But adding more affects the frame rate.
There can be a lot of overdraw, but still would think that given the console can draw millions of polygons per second, this won't be a problem.

Roel
Developer

Post by Roel »

shadowgangs wrote:@Roel
There can be a lot of overdraw, but still would think that given the console can draw millions of polygons per second, this won't be a problem.
Polygons per second is not a very useful benchmark. A polygon can have a surface area of 0 pixels. ;)

shadowgangs
Doom

Post by shadowgangs »

Roel wrote:
shadowgangs wrote:@Roel
Polygons per second is not a very useful benchmark. A polygon can have a surface area of 0 pixels. ;)
hehe, yes. It's all marketing talk. Reality is different.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

shadowgangs wrote:
@mazonemayu
I might be interested, can you please send me more info about them? on twitter if you want, by private message.

Hey man, I’m sorry, but they don’t have time, as they’re already working on a trailer and some of the art for another indie game atm :(

I do however know a few some musicians (I’m a dj in my free time, so I meet lots of people), I could still check around if you want. Although the other guys I know mostly make everything from ambiemt/soundscapes, to acid/trance, to industrial…but it’s always worth a shot :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

shadowgangs
Doom

Post by shadowgangs »

NP, thank you for the suggestion.
I am planning to do a Kickstarter for the DC version, and I want to get some famous Japanese composer to do an arrange of the original Shadow Gangs music, that's what I am hoping for.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

Do you have find an issue for 60fps ?

shadowgangs
Doom

Post by shadowgangs »

fafadou wrote:Do you have find an issue for 60fps ?
There is :D
But I don't want to remove some parallax layers for that.
If possible, would like to keep as much graphics details as possible.

I will soon get help from GLDC author Kazade, and we'll see what can be done :D

Worst case scenario, I remove some of the layers, to keep a good 60 fps animation.

If you want, you can join the Simulant Discord channel, I am posting progress in there.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

Hope you'll find :-)

you are very close to 60fps, for me it's not a problem to remove some parallax or fix the framerate to 30fps.
we know here you are doing your best.