New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Re: New method for connecting Dreamcast!

Post by brourke228 »

The NAT only effects dial-in access (dreamcast) which is why i don't have it in the first step. Your problem lies in system configuration or your network setup. Have you set the default gateway on the netopia to your primary router? Also remember to do this:
Then on the same screen navigate to "IP Address Serving" and change "IP Address Serving Mode" to Disabled.
That disables DHCP on the netopia router. You can't have two routers with DHCP on the same subnet or it causes problems so only the primary router should have it enabled.
Regards,
brourke228

atreyu187
brutal
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Wait the DC is online? When did that happen? :lol:

Post by atreyu187 »

OK I did disable dchp didn't know that was NAT then I wonder why I can't connect after I change the IP. Maybe ill try a new address once I get home then. Thanks for all your help as I'm tired of only playing two games online LOL

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I just purchased the Netopia R2121 so I have everything now (ordered anyway). Total of $48 for everything so that's pretty good I think.

Netopia R2121 - $30 Shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220994938889?ss ... 1439.l2649

Skutch AS-4 Telephone Line Simulator - $18 Shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110857899674?ss ... 1439.l2649
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

atreyu187
brutal
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Wait the DC is online? When did that happen? :lol:

Post by atreyu187 »

Nice score I went with the priceyier TLS2 as they were confirmed to work let me know how setting up using that one works as i know I'm curious.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

atreyu187 wrote:let me know how setting up using that one works as i know I'm curious.
Sure thing! I actually think I got a really good deal on it as the only other ones I've seen are $80 - $100. Of course that's just what people are asking for it. It doesn't mean they'll get it.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

atreyu187
brutal

Post by atreyu187 »

Ok I am up and running on my setup using these settings and hardware

Netopia 2020 with latest FW for modem and router
TLS2 40 LS and 29 GS

Followed the guide but couldn't get it to connect using both on LS or GS so I tried swapping them around today to try one which was first 40 GS and 29 LS and couldn't connect as usual but it finally detected the modem as before it kept saying modem not connected. So I swapped them to 40 LS and 29 GS, guess what? It connected the very first try!! I am so happy now and this is the best $80 I spent in a long time for my Dreamcast so a big thanks to all that helped namely fatman01923 for making me stick to it as I was about to say F it and sell the setup and stick with my BBA. And a extra big thanks goes out to brourke228 for finding this method!!

brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Post by brourke228 »

Awesome!! I'm glad you got it working. The TLS2 must work slightly different because with the TLS3 I use LS on both. I will update the guide based on what you've said for anyone else with a TLS2.

Okay, I updated the bottom of the guide to mention what you said and I also added at the top that TLS2 and TLS3 are both confirmed to work.
Regards,
brourke228

atreyu187
brutal

Post by atreyu187 »

Thanks so much you have no idea how happy I am now. This is easily setup compared to the virtual setup and super fast being connected at all times. Is there a way to remove the 33.3k speeds on the USA 56K modems? I have both type A and type B between the 9 Dreamcast I already have :lol:

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post by brourke228 »

The reason you see 33.3k speeds is because the Netopia has V.90 modems inside it which can only upload at 33.3k, therefore DC is downloading at that speed. Dreamcast also has V.90 modem i believe. Therefore under optimal conditions would be symmetrical 33.3k. If you were using a V.92 modem for the dial in server you would see 48k down/33.3k up on DC under optimal conditions because V.92 modem has 56k/s down and 48kb/s up.

Anyway to answer your question, you should be able to increase the bandwidth by getting a V.92 serial modem and connecting it to the auxiliary port on the back of your netopia router. It uses a non-standard HD-15 connector though (the port usually used with VGA video). There were HD-15 to DB25 cables which netopia made specifically for this but i think you would have a difficult time finding one. The pinout is listed in the user manual though so you could just splice the cable together. Basically you will need a parallel (DB25) cable with female connector and a VGA (HD-15) cable with 15-pin male connector and then just splice them together so that it matches the wiring diagram in the manual. Once you have that you can connect it directly to a serial modem and you will have a third modem connected to the netopia. To control external modems it uses standard modem commands. Which actually is nice because that way you can tell it to answer the call on the first ring. For some reason the internal ones answer after 2 rings and there is no way to change that.

I was thinking of getting one of these to connect to it at some point http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20tfm-560x
Regards,
brourke228

atreyu187
brutal

Post by atreyu187 »

So how does that device hook into all this? The speeds now seem to be fine I just would like to get the best setup I can. Oh wait and see how your project goes and go from there. If you're successful in write a new tutorial I will go that route till then I'm going to enjoy the money I already have invested into this.