Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

FlorreW
Animated Violence
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 sometimes

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post by FlorreW »

DarkSynbios wrote:As said the fellow Fafadou above, maybe can you help Kazade with new game Driving Strikers which is very promising game. :)
Wow ! Mr Fafadous new game looks fun as hell , I am a rocket League player myself and always thinking wonder how this would look on my lovely Dreamcast. Well now we know how it looks in 2d, awesome.

I'm gonna make a little donation tomorrow to show my appreciation, please keep up the good work Fafadou !

------------------
Ps: ofc GTA 3 would be possible... But it would be needed to be optimised for Dreamcast and built up with dreamcasts specs in mind ( several discs to fit the gane , better/sharper textures because Dreamcast has that possibility Vs ps2 )

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Ok, the gears in my head just started turning. Why not try using the assets from GTA LCS and ONLY the stuff from it that was ALSO in GTA 3, and port those assets to the open source port on PC? Start from there and work your way back.Then when you have that working on the PC port start making it for DC with the PSP content. The PSP quality assets should surely give anybody who wants to seriously look at porting a 3D era GTA game to the DC a big leg up. Any other stuff that is too high poly or would be too hard on the memory could be recreated either from scratch, or likewise run the models through a 3D modeling program and trim the hell out of them until similar to the LCS content. But only to the remaining content not already edited for PSP version from the original.

A hell of a lot of work for sure, but that makes it sound much more feasible in my honest opinion. After all the LCS map and vehicles were largely similar if not the same or slightly edited. Obviously they had more stuff in it like bikes and some different character models, but I think the NPC's from GTA 3 may be ok, granted already low enough quality. Just pedestrian and vehicle density as well as a few other tweaks would need to be adjusted, but would be a lot more close to what we might have actually seen from a leaked beta, just more complete.

cloofoofoo
Crazy Taxi!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO-SCHtACK

Post by cloofoofoo »

Anthony817 wrote:Ok, the gears in my head just started turning. Why not try using the assets from GTA LCS and ONLY the stuff from it that was ALSO in GTA 3, and port those assets to the open source port on PC? Start from there and work your way back.Then when you have that working on the PC port start making it for DC with the PSP content. The PSP quality assets should surely give anybody who wants to seriously look at porting a 3D era GTA game to the DC a big leg up. Any other stuff that is too high poly or would be too hard on the memory could be recreated either from scratch, or likewise run the models through a 3D modeling program and trim the hell out of them until similar to the LCS content. But only to the remaining content not already edited for PSP version from the original.

A hell of a lot of work for sure, but that makes it sound much more feasible in my honest opinion. After all the LCS map and vehicles were largely similar if not the same or slightly edited. Obviously they had more stuff in it like bikes and some different character models, but I think the NPC's from GTA 3 may be ok, granted already low enough quality. Just pedestrian and vehicle density as well as a few other tweaks would need to be adjusted, but would be a lot more close to what we might have actually seen from a leaked beta, just more complete.
It should be totally possible. Its not like dreamcast didnt already stream huge amount of assets, its no slouch despite what ppl think. Tapmn had recently extracted the full crazy taxi maps and they are huge, heres a quote:
The polygon count of both Crazy Taxi maps are around 202K triangles. Crazy Taxi 2's maps have lower polygon counts, at 123K tris for the first map (the one with the bridges), and 166K for the second map. Most buildings don't have roofs, but some of Crazy Taxi 2's buildings do in one area of the second map, even though the camera never goes that high. Maybe the dev team split the map work between people, and someone didn't delete the roofs on their part?
Heres the forest map from dc version shenmue 2 map extracted by me using the shenmue tools. Almost 200k triangles. Its definitely possible, just unlikely with the huge amount of work for assets and programming.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Amazing the lazy assets in games with tons of left over things going back to the saturn tombraider port with some assets tweaks it would be easy to get that running just like the ps1 version pretty much what they did..

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post by Ryo_Hazuki »

Tokyo Bus Guide game is also impressive:

dkrazor
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Sonic, Super Runabout, Daytona, DoA 2 etc

Post by dkrazor »

I think most fans like me already know all these games. I recently played Super Runabout in real DC on my old '14 TV, I believe a GTA LCS port would look great on it.

In my opinion I find it easier:
1 - create or import the city from GTA LCS with the compressed textures
2 - Program a character that can Walk and Drive 1 vehicle
(in style, Driver 2)
3 - Made in Open GL / Simuland
4 - Then go adding other features.

Don't try to convert PSP or Android code, but only use their Assets.

I use modern Engines so I haven't started doing that yet.
I'm going to try to study C/C++ and Engine Simuland in some spare time, and start making prototypes of it.

dkrazor
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Sonic, Super Runabout, Daytona, DoA 2 etc

Post by dkrazor »

That game C.O.P. The Recruit is well known for NDS.

VIDEO:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

dkrazor wrote:I think most fans like me already know all these games. I recently played Super Runabout in real DC on my old '14 TV, I believe a GTA LCS port would look great on it.

In my opinion I find it easier:
1 - create or import the city from GTA LCS with the compressed textures
2 - Program a character that can Walk and Drive 1 vehicle
(in style, Driver 2)
3 - Made in Open GL / Simuland
4 - Then go adding other features.

Don't try to convert PSP or Android code, but only use their Assets.

I use modern Engines so I haven't started doing that yet.
I'm going to try to study C/C++ and Engine Simuland in some spare time, and start making prototypes of it.
Opengl is never going to be as fast as direct pvr backend.. can use VQ compression for textures I agree with your plan :)

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

another game that I think would be good representation of what this would look like on dc

the italian job from PSX

MastaG
BFG-10K

Post by MastaG »

Or someone should just take a suitable re3 / librw port for a platform that comes close to kos.
And start working from there.
The official one got taken down but runs fine on most Linux and windows platforms.
I've built it for Linux where it uses the glfw library for window management and even has a gles renderer.
It runs fine in a gnome wayland session on my Odroid XU4. It even has a fully completed port of GTA vice city in the 'miami' branch.

There has been so many ports to so many systems, just check the amount of forks on GitHub.

I'm not saying it's easy to port, but you can even compile the project for the original ps2, which may twice the amount of system ram but only half the amount of video ram.