Notable Japanese DC Games (for folks who don't speak/read Japanese)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
stry8993
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Skies of Arcadia, PSO v2

Notable Japanese DC Games (for folks who don't speak/read Japanese)

Postby stry8993 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:52 pm

As per the title, would anyone with experience in the Japanese Exclusive Library on the Dreamcast know which games are playable without knowing Japanese, and are what would be considered must play games, or even just very fun to play?

beanboy
Wazza
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played any dreamcast games online yet.
But I'm planning to do so soon.

Re: Notable Japanese DC Games (for folks who don't speak/read Japanese)

Postby beanboy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 pm

stry8993 wrote:As per the title, would anyone with experience in the Japanese Exclusive Library on the Dreamcast know which games are playable without knowing Japanese, and are what would be considered must play games, or even just very fun to play?

Sorry for the late reply.
Here are some: :D

Puyo Puyo Fever (puzzle tetris styled game)
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 X (puzzle tetris styled game with capcom characters)

Vampire Chronicle (aka Darkstalkers)
Fighting Vipers 2
Capcom vs. Snk 2
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
Guilty Gear X By your side.

Aqua GT (boat racing)

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Postby mistamontiel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Aqua GT sees PAL only

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None.

Postby Wrath of Khan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 am

Well zero gunner 2 is well known but its brilliant.

Roareye
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu Rocket, Quake 3, Monaco GP 2, PSO, Planet Ring, Toy Racer, Worms World Party

Postby Roareye » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm

From the Japanese titles I own, here's a list that would and wouldn't fit the bill;
NOTE: Any websites back online for these Japanese titles have been translated by myself so they are understandable to the majority of us.

INTERNATIONALLY AVAILABLE TITLES
18 WHEELER - Known as 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker in the USA and PAL, the Japanese version has exclusive online modes, such as a dedicated website and online leaderboards. The Leaderboards are currently offline but the website has been revived. It might not work through the game yet, awaiting rerouting from Kazade via the Pi. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/18wheeler/)
BUGGY HEAT - Known as TNN Motorsports in the USA, which I'm pretty sure is the most inferior version. The PAL version includes access to a website which the US version hasn't got, however the Japanese version includes the ability to create and train an AI racer to challenge other players (like training a ghost car for their system). This option is easily signposted by the AI text on the options, which isn't in kanji, And the game is so easy to pick up, it doesn't matter what the language is. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/buggyheat/)
COOL BOARDERS BURRRN! - Known as Rippin' Riders in the USA and Snow Surfers in PAL regions, Cool Boarders Burrrn is an easy to pick up snowboarding game, with exclusive online features only in the Japanese version of the game. While the site has been recovered, there was (according to the site) custom downloadable boards for the Japanese game which are currently lost. However they could turn up on a second hand Japanese VMU. Replay uploads were also used for competitions. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/coolboarders/)
DEAD OR ALIVE 2 - Also known as Dead or Alive 2 LE (Limited Edition) even though it wasn't limited. The Japanese version has more costumes than the US release, and a couple of exclusives over the PAL release. It also includes an exclusive online site mode accessible through the game - however it was restricted behind a registration wall and it seems anything bar the login page has been lost to time, so the likelihood of the original site coming back is nigh-on impossible, but I already created a replacement website with as much content as I could find. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/deadoralive2/)
F1 WORLD GRAND PRIX - Same as overseas versions except it includes an exclusive website to access through the game, which is already back online. The sequel suggests in places that there is also a website for it, but there's no way to access it in game, and from my research it was just some updates on the first game's site that the game itself couldn't even access anyway. You wouldn't be missing too much getting the western releases of this one. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/f1worldgrandprix/)
ETERNAL ARCADIA - Known as Skies of Arcadia in the West, includes an exclusive website (currently offline). To be fair you're better off with the US release. The PAL release is turd due to not being compatible with VGA output, so avoid that version.
FIGHTING VIPERS 2 - Has some exclusive costumes for Candy. If you're into a bit of perving. Easy to pick up and play.
JET SET RADIO Not worth getting over the western releases, all content is pretty much the same bar one or two music tracks. Also De La Jet Set Radio has apparently got superior controls but I've never played it so I can't guarantee that. Just get the western releases for now.
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE - Just get the US/PAL/SYLVERANT PATCHED ISO of the game. Nothing exclusive here.
POWER STONE 2 - This is difficult on the menu's, so write down what each one is for an easier time, but gameplay is as straight forward as they come. It also includes a website accessible from the game (work in progress) and a 4-way multiplayer (currently offline). If you have Power Stone 2, it may not be worth the import yet, but if you don't then this is cheaper than western copies and has those exclusive modes.
[SEGA RALLY 2[/i] - Easy to play, no language barrier at all. Also includes exclusive website accessible from the game, online leaderboards (currently not functioning) and online multiplayer (currently offline) which put it above the western releases. Lots of people complain about frame rate on this title but I never noticed a massive issue. The only way you'd tell is by playing the Arcade machine half to death then trying the DC port, and nowadays that's not very likely. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/segarally2/)
PUYO PUYO FEVER - Easy to understand, and very enjoyable as a Puyo Pop title. No reason to go for this over the Western release though.
SHUTOKOU BATTLE - Known as Tokyo Xtreme Racer in US and Tokyo Highway Challenge in PAL regions, Shutokou Battle contains exclusive online features, which were revived recently by another member of this message board. DLC looks like it would have been included but to my knowledge the DLC files still haven't been found. Easy to pick up and play, no language barrier.
SHUTOKOU BATTLE 2 - Known as Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 or Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 in the west. This also includes an exclusive website dedicated to the game. Again, easy to pick up and play.
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 - Just get the Western releases, there's nothing exclusive here. Easy to pick up and play though.
SONIC SHUFFLE - Easy enough to play if you're already familiar with the rules. No reason to go for this over the Western release though.
SOUL CALIBUR - Menu's are in English, gameplay is easy to understand, no issues. Also includes an exclusive website accessible from the game, which included leaderboards (for each mode) and DLC. The leaderboards and DLC are currently offline due to missing DLC files but included two VMU games which unlocked an exclusive fourth costume for Voldo. Edge Master and Inferno were DLC characters in this release, but they became part of the unlockable features in the Western release. I'd recommend this copy. (http://dreamarena.org/dreampipe/soulcalibur/)
VAMPIRE CHRONICLE - for Matching Service - Easy to play version of Darkstalkers with online multiplayer and website (currently offline). Great gameplay, though I can't imagine it's much removed from the western releases.
VIRTUA FIGHTER 3TB - Nothing exclusive. It's easy to play, but you may as well go for a locally available copy of the game.

JAPANESE EXCLUSIVES
AERO DANCING i - Jikai Saku Made Matemasen - Other than some menu fiddling, entering into aerial combat is pretty easy to pick up and play. Going single player may be more difficult to understand, however, but it does also include an online multiplayer (sadly offline at present)
GUNDAM BATTLE ONLINE - This game is impossible to play without understanding Japanese, which sadly I don't. The game is a turn-based strategy RPG set in space, which seems awesome as a concept, and I can work out a few basic strikes etc by random chance, but the minimal requirement for strategy is an ability to understand the rules of engagement. The online multiplayer is offline currently and the website accessible in-game is under construction - just got to hope someone goes to the effort to translate the game in a burnable ISO to get this to fully playable.
NET VERSUS -REVERSI- - Net Versus was an actual series of online multiplayer titles for the Dreamcast exclusive to Japan. Each disc had a different classic board game on it, there was one for chess for example. It's interesting because you have to create your own Mii-like persona (They look almost identical to Mii's) then go online to play Reversi against others. You can challenge the computer as well. The issue is the menu's are all in kanji, which makes it awkward to navigate. If you're willing to trial-and-error your way through the menu (write down the path to the actual gameplay) then this is a fun enough game of Reversi. But you have to be willing to struggle through the menu first.
SUPER PRODUCERS - Mezase Show Biz Kai - This game is impossible to understand without knowing Japanese. To start off with, it's bonkers as all hell, disorienting at best and very specific about how to raise your own pop star - and I can't understand a word of it. It has online modes which is why I got it, but man this is an acid trip in a foreign language. Good for a laugh, not good for playing.
TOUKON RETSUDEN 4 - A wrestling game that easy to actually play, but the menus are all in Japanese which makes navigation a pain. However it does include a full Create A Wrestler mode, and it's surprisingly advanced. Enjoyable, defo worth a try if you're willing to wade through the menus.

beanboy
Wazza
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I haven't played any dreamcast games online yet.
But I'm planning to do so soon.

Postby beanboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:33 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Aqua GT sees PAL only

:shock:

louis012345678
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Yes

Postby louis012345678 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Roareye wrote:SHUTOKOU BATTLE - Known as Tokyo Xtreme Racer in US and Tokyo Highway Challenge in PAL regions, Shutokou Battle contains exclusive online features, which were revived recently by another member of this message board. DLC looks like it would have been included but to my knowledge the DLC files still haven't been found. Easy to pick up and play, no language barrier.

I have the shutokou battle website hosted at http://shutokoubattle.atwebpages.com but unfortunately I only have the vmi files and not the vms files for the dlc so it isn't available at the minute.

Roareye
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu Rocket, Quake 3, Monaco GP 2, PSO, Planet Ring, Toy Racer, Worms World Party

Postby Roareye » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Yes! Sorry to have forgotten the link dude, excellent work ^_^

Sadly for the DLC, we're basically going to have to buy a tonne of VMU's from Japan (all used, hopefully not wiped) and hope the DLC was stored to one of them. I've not seen any Japanese users on here so they're likely not in (or not a big part) of the community.

louis012345678
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Yes

Postby louis012345678 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Yeah it's a shame because the DLC included quite a few extra cars like a Honda S2000 and Datsun 240Z.

I need to revive the Shutokou Battle 2 website now (it's missing tons of images though and uses frames which are horrible :evil: )

stry8993
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Skies of Arcadia, PSO v2

Postby stry8993 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Oh wow, my thread blew up a bit while I was away! Thanks everyone for chipping in and offering insight and information!