Dreamcast video issue, need help identifying part ZD401

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Heavium_k
shadow

Re: Dreamcast video issue, need help identifying part ZD401

Postby Heavium_k » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am

Xiden wrote:
Heavium_k wrote:No way of getting some wires from red and green to where they need to go you think andhave it operating safely ?
I fear this broken part might cause issues on my tv ..there's a good reason that part is on there.
What is it ? ZD, zener diode, semi conductor ...something ?

I've seen some mainboards on ebay, €24, but sadly i haven't seen faulty ones or faulty dc's much (without crazy shipping costs).. but might keep an eye on them.

I have a spare DC I could give you, but I'm in the USA. Not sure what shipping costs would be involved.
You will need to swap out the controller board in it, the one in its beyond repair. Also power button seems a little sticky. I bought it on ebay to replace my controller board in my DC. It does come with a Modem version A :)

I fear shipping will indeed be silly high but it would def be of use.
I see faulty dc's on ebay, spare motherboards, but the shipping costs more than the items.
Maybe a motherboard can be shipped in a foam envelope ( :o ) to lower the costs...or within its shield ...i'd be willing to pay €15 max for shipping. More i just can't justify as i see working ones go for €30 and up here.

All other parts on this one work so i'd just need the intact motherboard really, i bought it off ebay shipping from italy and it just said the drive was broken, nothing about the video out. :roll:
Attachments
baycast.png

Heavium_k
shadow

Postby Heavium_k » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 am

poopidoop wrote:never mind, heres the book for that part lol https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/455553057108529749

thank you :D

aldair
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena

Postby aldair » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 pm

NO. Better to have a dead Dreamcast for part replacement. Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-dreamcast ... SwzLZdS3kB

Heavium_k
shadow

Postby Heavium_k » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm

aldair wrote:

NO. Better to have a dead Dreamcast for part replacement. Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-dreamcast ... SwzLZdS3kB

i ordered this one as 'faulty, drive does not read' but little did i know it had a far more serious and tough to fix problem :(
There's no guarantee that what's 'faulty' isn't something of a headache to replace on the motherboard.

I contacted someone in belgium who installs hdmi mods, not giving up yet.
I don't want to trash an otherwise functional motherboard aside from that one diode and video out port, granted they are important components. I'm hopeful still these can be replaced.