Shenmue 2 breaks my Dreamcast?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

darklordyami
noob

Shenmue 2 breaks my Dreamcast?

Postby darklordyami » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Hello! I have a really strange issue.

I burned a copy of the english modded Shenmue 2. It worked fine all the way up to disc 2 where you carry the books. Suddenly, my screen turned black and the audio turned off, but the system was still on. I restarted it and continued. 20 minutes later, it happened again. And again until now it just immediately turns black as soon as I load the game. If I wait 5 minutes during the black screen, it will randomly boot up (Dreamcast logo startup) before cutting off again in a matter of minutes.

Other games work fine so I just haven't continued playing it. However, when I needed to delete a file from my memory card, simply scrolling over the Shenmue 2 save file triggered it again. This time, the Dreamcast wouldn't even turn on. Every time, the screen stayed black and would sometimes randomly start after minutes of waiting at the black screen. After several reboots, it worked again.

Something about this modded Shenmue 2 is making my Dreamcast tank. Has anyone else experienced this? This is the most bizarre thing I've experienced. If anyone can offer a solution or workaround that would be great because this is my first time playing Shenmue 2. Thanks!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Re: Shenmue 2 breaks my Dreamcast?

Postby Bob Dobbs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:22 pm

I have not experienced that. I am assuming if you burned a new copy it would do that too, correct? Also, did you use DiscJuggler or IMG Burn?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Strik3r91
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Q3A, Toy Racer, Starlancer, AFO

Postby Strik3r91 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 pm

Try to clean Power Supply and motherboard contacts
From love, with Russia :)

fafadou
Gold Lion