nuQuake v1.2

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: nuQuake v1.2

Postby Anthony817 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:42 pm

All good I will just have to give it another go! Thanks for the updated release!

azel
fire

Postby azel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:46 pm

I just finished trying this, great port so far!

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 pm

azel wrote:I just finished trying this, great port so far!

Can you give any details what you tried or how you ran it?

azel
fire

Postby azel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Hey I just tried the cdi you posted with the shareware Quake on my Dreamcast with gdemu and dchdmi. I fiddled around with the graphics menu with the demo running to see performance and options, the vmu menu is helpful. Then I used the level selector to try out some different levels and see performance. Ran mostly great considering and I really like the image quality and colors, looks great.

I'm one of the Quake purists who prefer it with texture filtering off so I appreciated that in the menu although the GL look is very impressive. Just noticed the (minor and occasional) issues you mentioned with the weapon rendering and the sound was a bit garbled.

Looking forward to future releases, I will put a proper id1 folder in there and give it a proper playthrough!

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:40 am

azel wrote:Hey I just tried the cdi you posted with the shareware Quake on my Dreamcast with gdemu and dchdmi. I fiddled around with the graphics menu with the demo running to see performance and options, the vmu menu is helpful. Then I used the level selector to try out some different levels and see performance. Ran mostly great considering and I really like the image quality and colors, looks great.

I'm one of the Quake purists who prefer it with texture filtering off so I appreciated that in the menu although the GL look is very impressive. Just noticed the (minor and occasional) issues you mentioned with the weapon rendering and the sound was a bit garbled.

Looking forward to future releases, I will put a proper id1 folder in there and give it a proper playthrough!

That's awesome to hear! For me I find nearest_mipmap_linear is a great way to play and has less shimmering at distance.

The mission packs work and have special code to recognize, just have them in folders ROGUE or HIPNOTIC. I can't remember if I had to combine the paks, maybe. I'll let you know soon.
You'll NEED an autoexec.cfg with "gl_picmip 1" to get them running.

Texture memory is tight on the DC. Sacrifices must be made sadly.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Postby mrneo240 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:40 am

In the future I might be able to add a way to not have to do that at the expense of texture quality.

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Postby Ivan Guber » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:32 am

mrneo240 thanks for your work! I tested this version, CDDA not work (i build image with CDDA).

mrneo240
Rank 9

Postby mrneo240 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 am

Ivan GR wrote:mrneo240 thanks for your work! I tested this version, CDDA not work (i build image with CDDA).

Yes currently cdda is disabled while the sound system is being worked on in the background. Sorry for the dissatisfaction.

That's the next thing now that I'm fairly satisfied with the graphical side. There was cdda support in one version but no matter what you did eventually it would cut out

Ian Micheal
Developer

Postby Ian Micheal » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Yes Seeing as soon as it needs to load data it will stop playing cdda and never auto restart the cdda every time it loads data it stops how quake engine works i have the same problem.. being as your quake port is so fast and nice might be able to stream mp3's or wavs as music have a buffer so when it loads data you still have music.. This is looking great plays great I think i can now retire radquake It's about as good as i can make it for what it is.. I know the work mrneo240 has put into this .. really is one of the best releases of the last few years.. If not the best 3d engine for dreamcast right now..

azel
fire

Postby azel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Definitely looking forward to the next release! Makes me want to get back into map editing with Trenchbroom :D

Last year I had started an Egyptian themed Quake mod designed with PSP Quake limitations in mind but Dreamcast would be even cooler :)

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”