nuQuake v1.2

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: nuQuake v1.2

Postby Ian Micheal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Also look at this.

What you're getting
Vs

What you could have instead

Think it speaks for it's self.. Nuquake is running the pc version not PORTED DC version

Top Maqaku Bottom Nuquake

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:46 pm

No, I meant the screenshot from it running in your port is what looked impressive vs the Makaqu one. I just figured the mod wouldn't work well because of less overhead in this port because of higher resource usage.

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Anthony817 wrote:No, I meant the screenshot from it running in your port is what looked impressive vs the Makaqu one. I just figured the mod wouldn't work well because of less overhead in this port because of higher resource usage.

You got me looking into quakes memory usage and I freed up nearly 1MB of ram. Which is pretty decent, so now you can use anywhere between 8-11MB heap for quake. I'm going to try and change a few other things and maybe we might hit 12MB heap for nuquake one day

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:56 pm

WOW! That is awesome keep up the great work!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Damn this is pretty crazy! I am patiently awaiting next release! Hell, maybe we will get that Halo mod working later on too! Damn pretty exciting times!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Postby Ian Micheal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Damn this is pretty crazy! I am patiently awaiting next release! Hell, maybe we will get that Halo mod working later on too! Damn pretty exciting times!

Mrneo is a boss :) ton's of hardwork why i was so gun ho i want people to know how good this is and geting that's not even the new new version lol

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:33 pm

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Postby DARKHALO2K » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:34 pm

I think that there's some confusion surrounding my work on After The Fall.

The mod was always known as a memory hog, which was why Bero used screenshots of it running on his Quake engine port, back in the day. However, you can get the game to run on Titanium's port simply by swapping out one of the sound effects for the female enemy.

My work is more of an update than a port, as the version that you will have tried with nuQuake features two or three game-breaking bugs and numerous broken entities that take up resources and takes away from the overall polish of the game.

All of my work has been on the mod's assets except for a Makaqu specific config file.

I'm a big fan of the Dreamcast, having owned one since launch and lurking around the community since the dcemulation days (having helped talk Ian Michael in to releasing "RADQuake Final", back in the day), and I simply want to make something cool for the community; a fairly polished game to play.

When complete, I will be offering the revised PAK file for download on its own, which people can play with whatever build of the Quake engine that they want, but my focus is on also offering a pre-compiled .cdi image with printable cover art that will hopefully feel like a new release and simplify the burning process for people.

I am absolutely amazed by the work being done on nuQuake, and I would obviously prefer to take advantage of its hardware rendering, but the current audio and visual issues prevent it from feeling like a polished release. I've also encountered a crash when completing a level (an assertion failure, glTexImage2D).

I'm not an engine coder, at least not when it comes to Quake or the Dreamcast, and if you are happy to consider my suggestions on bugs and features, then I would very much like to target nuQuake for my release.

Keep up the incredible work, and thank you for sharing it with the community!

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Postby DARKHALO2K » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Man, those videos are sexy! Excellent work!

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”