nuQuake v1.2

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Re: nuQuake v1.2

Postby DARKHALO2K » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:43 am

That is displaying over VGA (and another reason for not wanting to hook up the Elgato)!

I think it's down to memory. That's the largest map in the game. It looked great on the build of nuQuake from the start of this thread (but crashed upon completion), froze during loading on the version of 1.2 with clipping resolved, and it displays like that in the newest release. I've not made any changes to the map between tests.

Start.bsp looked fine, as did any other map that I jumped to from there via the console, though mipmaps still appear to be missing (they looked great in the build found at the top of this thread).

The game also crashed when using noclip on ATFE1M1.

I'm not currently near my computer, but you should encounter this issue with the version of the game that you already have.

And my query on your sound engine was down to the number of issues I'm getting there, which I believe was always the case with Bero's port; some sounds pitched up, some sounds looping, random pops and fizzes when no sounds are playing, etc. Whereas the sound in Makaqu, and I think RADQuake (from memory), are as expected. Not sure if a transplant would be easier than fixes?!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Postby Ian Micheal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:43 am

So the maps are same as the old pc version? sound in radquake is 44khz sdl highest sound on any port .. yes it's correct .. I fixed all sound in 2019.. That come's at cost.. I would not use the sdl sound i ported it first in 2002/2003 and it's very much heavy and would need to use sdl and it conflict with a lot of things use more memory..

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Postby DARKHALO2K » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

The geometry is the same.

I've made edits to entities and a few textures, but again, my updated version looks fine on the build of nuQuake that is available from the first post of this thread, and no changes were made to the map between testing each of the builds.

I'll do some further testing when I get the time, but I doubt that'll be before Sunday.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Postby Ian Micheal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Nuquake is vanilla PC GL quake if you test your game current on that it would be the same as well.. Radquake and the other have never been vanilla pc quake mine has engine limts lifted 4.9 max file sizes heap step height zone monster gravity etc etc has many of the things later src ports have.. Far as how it acts now .. Is no were near vanilla software it pushes the textures pvr dma to the screen 640x480 video mode.. old radquake was more normal thing .. Really I got it the best it can for what it is last year ..

Nuquake to me is what should be used games look closer to what the dreamcast can really do.. And not use the cpu to mix sound the cpu to do video and be a mess of using a 200mhz cpu to do everything makes no use of what the dreamcast is a 3d monster hollly power vr..

If dont use hardware rendering on quake you have a 166mhz or less after using the cpu to mix the sounds at 320x200 blur mess.. with less memory and cache..

Nuquake is proper hardware rendering vanilla GL quake nothing changed in the engine..

You dont have to port mods or change them if they run on pc gl quake they run on it.. So i would try normal straight opengl pc quake on pc to see if this happens with your game :)

have you tried your current version on pc opengl standard quake not a src port vanilla gl quake..?

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Postby DARKHALO2K » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm not porting After The Fall, I'm working to improve it. If you try to play through the version that was released in 1997 you'll encounter several game-breaking bugs, which I've now fixed. These are gameplay related issues, not engine related.

And I'm aware of the positives of nuQuake; hardware rendering is obviously going to produce superior results to software rendering, and both the visual quality and the performance of nuQuake is excellent. It even looks sharper than the Titanium port!

However, whilst the code can be largely the same between platforms, the hardware is very different, and I believe that the issue in my previous screenshot is down to the memory maxing out from the new map loading feature introduced in to this version of nuQuake.

If I'm correct, the black squares are from the lightmap rendering incorrectly, which I believe is down to the Dreamcast hardware running out of resources. I'm not at all saying that nuQuake's renderer has changed between releases, I'm saying that the new map loading feature is capable of maxing out the hardware.

Again, the map looks fine in previous builds of nuQuake, and the engine has obviously changed between releases whilst my map has not.

Here's how my version of the map currently looks in GLQuake :

Ian Micheal
Developer

Postby Ian Micheal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:33 pm

DARKHALO2K wrote:I'm not porting After The Fall, I'm working to improve it. If you try to play through the version that was released in 1997 you'll encounter several game-breaking bugs, which I've now fixed. These are gameplay related issues, not engine related.

And I'm aware of the positives of nuQuake; hardware rendering is obviously going to produce superior results to software rendering, and both the visual quality and the performance of nuQuake is excellent. It even looks sharper than the Titanium port!

However, whilst the code can be largely the same between platforms, the hardware is very different, and I believe that the issue in my previous screenshot is down to the memory maxing out from the new map loading feature introduced in to this version of nuQuake.

If I'm correct, the black squares are from the lightmap rendering incorrectly, which I believe is down to the Dreamcast hardware running out of resources. I'm not at all saying that nuQuake's renderer has changed between releases, I'm saying that the new map loading feature is capable of maxing out the hardware.

Again, the map looks fine in previous builds of nuQuake, and the engine has obviously changed between releases whilst my map has not.

Here's how my version of the map currently looks in GLQuake :

Thank you pip you answered everything i wanted to know :) Sure he will look into it..

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Postby DARKHALO2K » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

You're very welcome, and thank you for your interest.

The multiple map loading is an interesting feature, and I think that making it optional via a cvar would be the easiest solution.

The engine is fantastic, and once the sound is as good as the visuals I'll be using it to enjoy a full playthrough of Quake on my Dreamcast. :D

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 pm

I still don't understand the issue with sound, its exactly the same as the original windows code. I'll look into the weird rendering glitches but I haven't been able to trigger on my side

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 pm

Yeah, this port of the engine I believe is going to be huge in the future for homebrew games and mods. Really, this and Half-Life are the best graphics we can get for making our own new FPS games on the system. Both engines are very similar as well to a degree since Half-Life's GoldSource engine was based on Quake engine.

@mrneo240, could we possibly get rumble support for this? I think it would be cool to get rumble when you fire your gun.

mrneo240
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Available to play any game, working on gathering them.

Postby mrneo240 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 am

Anthony817 wrote:Yeah, this port of the engine I believe is going to be huge in the future for homebrew games and mods. Really, this and Half-Life are the best graphics we can get for making our own new FPS games on the system. Both engines are very similar as well to a degree since Half-Life's GoldSource engine was based on Quake engine.

@mrneo240, could we possibly get rumble support for this? I think it would be cool to get rumble when you fire your gun.

thank you for the kind words.
also sure

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”