USB4MAPLE adapter

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

rpf16rj
lithium

Re: USB4MAPLE adapter

Post by rpf16rj »

Hi guys, just a litle feedback with my tests:

- Joystick PS3 original with USB cable some times the Rumble is long... know issue, as the megavolt85 saed.
- Joystick Xbox 360 Wired work perfectly, but some games the Rumble is strange, maybe be my joystick half old.
- VMU working on WinCE games, saved and loaded with success on 4x4 Evolution.
- This maple adapter finaly work on Sega Rally. All others projects fail on this game in my tests.

Thank you @megavolt85
Curious tester of old games and software and electronic modder sometimes.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@rpf16rj1

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

rpf16rj wrote:Hi guys, just a litle feedback with my tests:

- Joystick PS3 original with USB cable some times the Rumble is long... know issue, as the megavolt85 saed.
- Joystick Xbox 360 Wired work perfectly, but some games the Rumble is strange, maybe be my joystick half old.
- VMU working on WinCE games, saved and loaded with success on 4x4 Evolution.
- This maple adapter finaly work on Sega Rally. All others projects fail on this game in my tests.

Thank you @megavolt85
megavolt85 - "Hot buttons for x360 controller:
hold down the XBOX button, click on the hot button, release the XBOX button (while the XBOX button is held, the controller is disconnected from dreamcast)"

How do you switch between different controller modes? Is the "hot button" one of the two buttons on the board?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

MoeFoh wrote:
hold down the XBOX button, click on the hot button, release the XBOX button (while the XBOX button is held, the controller is disconnected from dreamcast)"

How do you switch between different controller modes? Is the "hot button" one of the two buttons on the board?
He means the face buttons. Hold the Xbox button and then press X, Y, A, or B depending on which mode you want. The player light in the controller will change to indicate the mode. It's the same with the PS3 controller except obviously holding the PS button instead.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

MoeFoh
Outrun

Post by MoeFoh »

pcwzrd13 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:

He means the face buttons. Hold the Xbox button and then press X, Y, A, or B depending on which mode you want. The player light in the controller will change to indicate the mode. It's the same with the PS3 controller except obviously holding the PS button instead.
Got it. I think the LEDS on the rp pico board will light up, too? For clarity:
FPS Mode: "the right shift emulates the cross up, the left shift emulates the cross down, the buttons in the right/left analogue emulate the cross left/right (indication is the lower right LED)"
- what is left shift, right shift?
- cross, is that cross-hair?

Just picked up the Pico for $7.50 USD (Amazon US).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TQSDP28/
Last edited by MoeFoh on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

MoeFoh wrote: I think the LEDS on the rp pico board will light up, too?
no
MoeFoh wrote: For clarity:
FPS Mode: "the right shift emulates the cross up, the left shift emulates the cross down, the buttons in the right/left analogue emulate the cross left/right (indication is the lower right LED)"
- what is left shift, right shift?
- cross, is that cross-hair?
left/right shift is left/right bumper for x360 and L1/R1 for PS3
cross is d-pad

"hot button" - ABXY for x360 and XO▢△ for PS3
for activate "hot button" need hold XBOX button for x360 and PS button for PS3

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Finally got to try the VMU emulation. Used this USB splitter and it works great! I didn't have a spare flash drive so I used an SD card reader and an SD card.
VMU Emu.jpg
PSO Characters:

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

pcwzrd13 wrote:Finally got to try the VMU emulation.
update openmenu for autoswitch function

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

megavolt85 wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:Finally got to try the VMU emulation.
update openmenu for autoswitch function
I don't have a GDEMU to test that. I'll have to wait for your DreamShell implementation. :)
PSO Characters:

Drd00m
rebel

Post by Drd00m »

Could this became the new sd car adapter so you don't need gdemu or the back port adapter??? I know the transmission of information is faster in the controller port compared to the back port of the dreamcast.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

Drd00m wrote:I know the transmission of information is faster in the controller port compared to the back port of the dreamcast.
who told you such nonsense?
if someone told you that maple has high speed, slap that person in the face, he doesn’t understand anything about dreamcast hardware.

Most people read the documentation diagonally, a person sees that the speed of MAPLE is 4 megabits per second and considers this to be true.
Yes, via MAPLE you can transfer data at a speed of 4 megabits per second, but in total you can transfer 60 packets of one kilobyte per second (NTSC and VGA only, for PAL is 50 packets).
60*1024=61440 Byte/s
61440*8=491520 bps
491520/1024=480 Kbps
480/1024=0.46875 Mbps
Well, how do you like high speed? and I calculated this only for ideal conditions; in reality, the speed will be even lower.
for comparison, I use the SCIF port in native mode with about the same speed, soft SPI for SD card is 15 times faster