BIG problem

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
saintpeter
noob

BIG problem

Post by saintpeter »

so... i've been looking forward to having a dreamcast since it came out on the market... fortunetly i arranged to get one from a friend about 2 or 3 months ago.
the console worked fine since, no problems..
this day my friend has the idea to paint the dreamcast and i accepted it. so we opened the console and took all the boards/drive out.
days after we thought it was better for us and for the beauty of the console to keep it clean white, so we got to rebuild the system. what happens now is that the console's fine but the booting. it just cannot boot any cd and takes us directly to the main menu (game, settings, vmu, cd...)
it happens with any cd (music cd, backup cd, gd-rom)

i though it was bad connection of the drive but it doesent seem so! can anyone help me out?

EDIT: i might think the problem is that the cd/gd-rom gets refused when the console tries to boot. is it a board issue or drive issue? or connection issue? please answer as soon as possible

max4242
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42

Re: BIG problem

Post by max4242 »

I say take apart the dreamcast and put it back together or if your lazy or dont feel like that is necessary then make sure the connector are properly hooked up ect

all the advice i could give
Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42
Starlancer - maxkill

PM any time you want to play!

Bryan Gallardo
Quad Damage
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3

Post by Bryan Gallardo »

I had that happen to me once just not with a DC and it failed. I ended up bryaking something, the only advice is to get a new one and if u want to paint that one just paint the outside.
Gallardo HUmar
CaL!4n1a RAcast

Radkin
PSOaholic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Q3A, 4x4 & Maximum Pool

Post by Radkin »

My advice would be the same as Bryan...it's a bad idea to take the DC apart in the first place just to paint it. Like he said, just paint the outside...besides, that is all anyone is going to see. You shouldn't go through all that trouble to make it look nice.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

saintpeter
noob

Post by saintpeter »

well.. i wouldnt say that the fresh air could break down the dreamcast board... anyway, it works just fine for SOME games SOME times... i wonder what is the problem tho.. is calibrating the lens a good solution?

soul calibur backup: works fine
hidden and dangerous: works fine
snow surfers: works fine sometimes
chu chu rocket: worked fine once

max4242
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42

Post by max4242 »

try cleaning the lens with a q tip or something carefully...
Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42
Starlancer - maxkill

PM any time you want to play!

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

open console (remove the upper part), input cd and push a triger on the back, that will be the same as closing the cd lid.

does the console read, does the console actually makes any effort to read the disk?

if it does then i beleive it's the speed calibration, it may be ajusted but no garanteed resuslts exist exept modifying one screw to ajust the speed.
if it doesn't even read anything then you have a problem, but i don't know exactly where.