Shadow Man

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: tell us what you think of the game

1 fuck this shit
29%
2 very bad
No votes
3 horror? where?
No votes
4 playable
No votes
5 Soul Reaver wannabe (though SR came out later :lol:)
14%
6 good
No votes
7 actually enjoyed it
14%
8 bring out your dead
No votes
9 excellent
14%
10 awesome, I'm buying this
29%

Total votes: 7

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Shadow Man

Post by mazonemayu »

Gameplay & Story

This is one of my fav games of all time, it basically does what Tomb Raider & Soul Reaver does, but far better (though it came out a bit earlier as Soul Reaver). You are the Shadow Man, cursed and immortal voodoo warrior and traveller between Liveside & Deadside to save the world (but there’s a bit more to it than that). You get to do everything, from killing zombies and other undead creatures to solving puzzles, exploring huge levels, backtracking to get new items, once you get power ups (in the form of tattoos, that let you scale walls, walk on lava, swim in boiling water), etc…

Most of the game you will play in Deadside, which is basically hell; and a twisted world it is, the creators of this game really did their best to make it a nightmarish experience with a lot of psychological horror involved. It is a voodoo themed game, so there’s also some magic involved as well and the voodoo/horror combo works surprisingly well.

You get stronger by absorbing Dark Souls (120 of them to be exact), which are hidden throughout the game and in bosses. You need those to unlock new parts of the game, in the form of Shadow Gates which require you to have a Shadow Power from 1 to 10 to be opened. The game is very well balanced, if you want to open say the 5th Shadow Gate but you only have a Shadow Power of 4, you obviously forgot something somewhere. The Shadow Power meter also acts as your magic gauge, if it is depleted you need to go looking for magic skulls to recharge it. You need magic to light a torch to go into dark places, break certain walls, teleport, etc…luckily magic skulls can be picked up in certain places in the game.

It’ll keep you busy for at least 35 hours if you don’t use a walkthrough, to say this game is big, is actually an understatement, every time you think you’re at the end, it just expands again…
You also get loads of weapons to find/unlock and you can hold something in every hand so at some point you can run around with not one, but TWO shotguns or machine guns and blow everything away, there’s also a bunch of magical items that have one or two uses going from a torch, drumstick, teleport, explosions,…

Controls are spot on, run, jump, grab ledges, push objects, you have a button for every hand so you get to equip 2 items or weapons at the same time. Collision detection if very good for a game this old

If you’re into exploring for hours and hours on end, this is for you.

Graphics

Though dated, it still holds up very well today, specially in VGA. It is a very dark game and is best played in a dark room. Everything looks polished and well designed, but at the same time it is very twisted and warped (a bit like running through a nightmare). Mind that though it doesn’t look like it at first this is a horror game, and a very clever one too. Though most of the time you kill off undead stuff & monsters, all the water in the game (rivers, pools and such) is blood, there’s literally blood everywhere. Enemies explode, blood & pieces fly everywhere, there’s rooms that are completely covered in the stuff, while other rooms are very clean, except for a few bloody letters on the walls.

There’s a level that is literally one big rotting building, with decaying corpses and swarms of flies everywhere…Enemies vary from zombies to things that are made from a male & female torso sewn together, crawling around on their hands, creatures that have human bodies with pieces of dog sewn on them, humanoid things with hooks and saws attached to their bodies, all very nasty looking, reminding a bit of Hellraiser. Enemies in the Liveried are all homicidal maniacs, you even get Jack the ripper as a boss.

Sound/Music

Again spot on, varying from soundscapes to absolute silence, tribal drums in the temples, eerie piano, the sound of screaming babies & crying women in the asylum, that sort of thing. There’s enemies that vomit on you, again great sound there. It all adds to the atmosphere of the game. All the weapons sound great, growling enemies, explosions, dripping of blood, etc…

Replay

It’s not something you go back to every month, because it is so long, but you also won’t complete it 100% the first few times you play it through (unless you use a guide), there’s just so much to find, do and unlock in this game.

Overall
9/10

As this is one of my fev games of all time, I can’t help but give it a 9. it is totally balanced and long enough to give you a run for your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKfzb1h95s
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

dirtydav
stalker

Re: Shadow Man

Post by dirtydav »

Thanks for the review. I have somehow missed this game. I have never played it. Going to go look and burn a copy of it ASAP. Looks really good i have been into the horror / dark games lately.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post by mazonemayu »

Great, don't forget to rate it here afterwards & tell us what you think of it
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post by segata sanshiro »

Inspiring review! I played it on PSX and N64 for a little bit, then i got it for the DC (i still have it), but never played more than 4~6 hours. I agree that the game is very moody and completely immersive even today. I'll definitely play it again (after i complete Dino Crisis, which i never did before).

-drez01-
Tank Jr.
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena

Post by -drez01- »

VGA compatible? I know Dino Crisis is not :(

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post by mazonemayu »

-drez01- wrote:VGA compatible?
it says so in the review :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post by -drez01- »

Ah yes, thanks. Going to give this one a go. Soul reaver is one of my faves. Missed this title somehow... Thanks for the indepth review!

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post by segata sanshiro »

-drez01- wrote:VGA compatible? I know Dino Crisis is not :(
Dino Crisis works perfectly on VGA when booted with DC-X, except the FMVs, they appear black, but there aren't many in the game anyway. It looks beautiful unlike the blurriness you get with RCA.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

I didn't even know it came out on the DC. All I remember is the N64 version.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post by -drez01- »

Dino Crisis works perfectly on VGA when booted with DC-X
I had no idea that worked, I tried the VGA version of Utopia and it does not boot games in VGA mode...