Sony Downsizes By 90%

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Re: Sony Downsizes By 90%

Post#11 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 am

Dan Kuso wrote:It's seems like the company responsible for the DC's death is on it's very own deathbed.

http://model4.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/ ... ing-apart/

Perhaps wrong of me to do, but what goes around comes around. Hey Sony, how is that dvd player gimmick in PS2 or billions lost in "advanced hardware that can do anything/but kinda boring games" PS3 plan going ?

...Huh ? LOL, how long does the Playstation brand have Sony ?

Oh no, no...no...I'm sure your psone having to be flipped upside down to work for many (when the Saturn is a tank), your constant greedy lawsuits, the ps2 with it's constant lens breaking or not reading for millions of people (dc still works), your portable units that fanned out (you won't surpass Nintendo there), your PS3 unit that "can do everything" little comical commercials but overall has a utter boring library of games which your billions in loss of, you slowly reacting once millions of personal information was stolen and cards charged on your online network (probably from Sony themselves), wasn't your downfall LOL.
Last edited by #1phoenixsunsfan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Post#12 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:58 am

everynewday84 wrote:Im on now; How about we play right now?

2/4 ain't no 0/4 :P

ice445
lithium

Post#13 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:02 am

Wow vector, quite the Sony bias there. The original PlayStation was one of the best designed consoles of all time. It only had two minor issues that were corrected with later versions. The Dreamcast we all love so much was heavily based on the design of the PS1 (look at the inside of each side by side sometime). As for the PS2, it was a very well built system given the technology it used. People simply played them to death. If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was). The PS3 I'm not going to comment on as I didn't own nor do research on.

From what I understand though, Sony's gaming division isn't what's bringing them down. If anything it's the only thing keeping them afloat. The main problem stems from plummeting TV and other electronic sales from a multitude of competitors like Samsung squeezing them hard from every angle.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#14 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 am

I agree with Ice; sure I hold a grudge with Sony over the Dreamcast but thanks to Sony I have an Xperia Play which is pretty much the coolest fucking thing ever. I also really like Sony's courting of independent developers through Playstation Mobile. And, despite not playing next gen consoles, I've seen my shithead brother go through 4 Xbox360's and the PS3 despite being covered in dust and trapped in a wooden cabinet with no air flow when its used still works like a charm.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#15 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:17 am

ice445 wrote:Wow vector, quite the Sony bias there.

Ha ha, sorry Ice that post was from the dark side of my heart. Just typing what some might not want to type.

The original PlayStation was one of the best designed consoles of all time. It only had two minor issues that were corrected with later versions. The Dreamcast we all love so much was heavily based on the design of the PS1 (look at the inside of each side by side sometime).

Yeah I had the little psone version with screen on top, it was cool and never failed like older model. I had that and dc in 2001. I accepted Sony won at that point :( and wanted to play the games my friends were talking about.

Not sure where your from, but the original psone and ps2 were notorious for failing around here, in fact my friends had to return 2 or 3 ps2 before they got a working one (I wasn't buying one of those it killed the dc with it's "it plays dvd" horseshit) and some just kept tekken 3 in their psone but flipped it upside down so it worked.

I wouldn't call turning the psone upside down to work, a minor flaw lol :

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php ... -problems/

"Hardware problems

With the early units, many gamers experienced skipping full-motion video or physical "ticking" noises coming from their PlayStations. The problem appears to have come from poorly placed vents leading to overheating in some environments—the plastic moldings inside the console would warp very slightly and create knock-on effects with the laser assembly. The solution was to ensure the console was sat on a surface which dissipated heat efficiently in a well vented area, or raise the unit up slightly by propping something at its edges. A common fix for already affected consoles was to turn the PlayStation sideways or upside-down (thereby using gravity to cancel the effects of the warped interior)."

As for the PS2, it was a very well built system given the technology it used. People simply played them to death. If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was).

I completely disagree, my local shop had 100+ ps2 to be fixed when it first released and until the 2nd model was released years later, there was still many to be fixed, yes it sold the most units ever congrats but was the most complained about "damn it's broke already" system ever too :

https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... el=suggest

In fact, it's infamous :

"A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. on July 16, 2002, in the Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo. The lawsuit addresses consumer reports of inappropriate "no disc error" (disc read error) messages and other problems associated with playing DVDs and CDs on the PlayStation 2.

Sony settled its “disc read error” lawsuit by compensating the affected gamers with USD $25, a free game from a specified list, and the reduced cost repair or replacement (at SCEA’s discretion) of the damaged system. This settlement was subject to the courts’ approval, and hearings began in the US and Canada on April 28, 2006, and May 11, 2006, respectively.[56]"

Funny, all my friends 2000 year dcs STILL work.

The PS3 I'm not going to comment on as I didn't own nor do research on.

This generation of games and consoles sucks in my opinion, meh, maybe I'm old.

From what I understand though, Sony's gaming division isn't what's bringing them down. If anything it's the only thing keeping them afloat. The main problem stems from plummeting TV and other electronic sales from a multitude of competitors like Samsung squeezing them hard from every angle.

Idk either, I hear some say it's gaming division, some not. I'd like to see this 10 billion dollar loss from ps3.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#16 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:28 am

I wouldn't be happy if Sega merged with Microsoft in 2003 or would join Sony now, let Sony burn in hell for helping (50% was from Sega horrible late 90s non communicative management) Sega die in hardware (let's face it, it's basically dead now anyway even though mainly a software company).

Or should I blame 50% on Nintendo for being super greedy and pissing off Sony and Phillips (a non factor) to make their own machines...in which case Sony destroyed all...perhaps just a SNES cdrom add on or SNES Sony all in 1 catridge/cd rom machine would have changed history so Sega might be here (as it was) now...damn, I need a cigarette now.

Wait...I'm calm now...knowing ps3 main failure was it's neo-geo, 3do, etc too high price tag and being too focused on hardware of machine.

I respect the psone, it did great overall and I eventually bought one once dc near when Sega pulled the plug, and I respect the ps2 but the hell with it;s dvd player gimmick WHICH WAS NAIL IN SEGA COFFIN and the ps3 is meh but yeah I'm honest, deep down fuck Sony imo.

If the playstation division closes up in 2014, I'll go there and throw water balloons at Sony employees carrying their stuff to cars with my Sega swag shirt on.

Last edited by #1phoenixsunsfan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#17 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:47 am

ice445 wrote: If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was).

I can't say I agree on this, although I read a lot of stuff of DC's dying & the lens breaking down in my day, it has yet to happen to me. I've had my DC since launchday & have played it at least 5 days a week since then, it has yet to fail on me (I did replace the battery, & corrected the lens twice but this is only normal after a decade ;)); my ex even pourred hot chocolate in it when we were having a fight, I cleaned it out & it still works so either mine is just indestructible, or what you're saying is wrong ;)

I don't know anyone (personally) who bought a new DC in a store that died a quick death. second hand units on the other hand...who knows how they were molested by the previous owner ;)

before the DC came out, I played my PSX every day, but by the time the DC was sitting under my tv, my PSX had already died, so imo the DC is more solid
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#18 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 am

mazonemayu wrote:
ice445 wrote: If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was).

I can't say I agree on this, although I read a lot of stuff of DC's dying & the lens breaking down in my day, it has yet to happen to me. I've had my DC since launchday & have played it at least 5 days a week since then, it has yet to fail on me (I did replace the battery, & corrected the lens twice but this is only normal after a decade ;)); my ex even pourred hot chocolate in it when we were having a fight, I cleaned it out & it still works so either mine is just indestructible, or what you're saying is wrong ;)

I don't know anyone (personally) who bought a new DC in a store that died a quick death. second hand units on the other hand...who knows how they were molested by the previous owner ;)

before the DC came out, I played my PSX every day, but by the time the DC was sitting under my tv, my PSX had already died, so imo the DC is more solid

Completely agree.

ice445
lithium

Post#19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:23 am

djvectorman wrote:
ice445 wrote:Wow vector, quite the Sony bias there.

Ha ha, sorry Ice that post was from the dark side of my heart. Just typing what some might not want to type.

The original PlayStation was one of the best designed consoles of all time. It only had two minor issues that were corrected with later versions. The Dreamcast we all love so much was heavily based on the design of the PS1 (look at the inside of each side by side sometime).

Yeah I had the little psone version with screen on top, it was cool and never failed like older model. I had that and dc in 2001. I accepted Sony won at that point :( and wanted to play the games my friends were talking about.

Not sure where your from, but the original psone and ps2 were notorious for failing around here, in fact my friends had to return 2 or 3 ps2 before they got a working one (I wasn't buying one of those it killed the dc with it's "it plays dvd" horseshit) and some just kept tekken 3 in their psone but flipped it upside down so it worked.

I wouldn't call turning the psone upside down to work, a minor flaw lol :

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php ... -problems/

"Hardware problems

With the early units, many gamers experienced skipping full-motion video or physical "ticking" noises coming from their PlayStations. The problem appears to have come from poorly placed vents leading to overheating in some environments—the plastic moldings inside the console would warp very slightly and create knock-on effects with the laser assembly. The solution was to ensure the console was sat on a surface which dissipated heat efficiently in a well vented area, or raise the unit up slightly by propping something at its edges. A common fix for already affected consoles was to turn the PlayStation sideways or upside-down (thereby using gravity to cancel the effects of the warped interior)."

As for the PS2, it was a very well built system given the technology it used. People simply played them to death. If the DC had the same shelf life as the PS2, I'm very certain we would have seen similar failure rates (if not more for the Dreamcast given how shaky the model 2 was).

I completely disagree, my local shop had 100+ ps2 to be fixed when it first released and until the 2nd model was released years later, there was still many to be fixed, yes it sold the most units ever congrats but was the most complained about "damn it's broke already" system ever too :

https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... el=suggest

In fact, it's infamous :

"A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. on July 16, 2002, in the Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo. The lawsuit addresses consumer reports of inappropriate "no disc error" (disc read error) messages and other problems associated with playing DVDs and CDs on the PlayStation 2.

Sony settled its “disc read error” lawsuit by compensating the affected gamers with USD $25, a free game from a specified list, and the reduced cost repair or replacement (at SCEA’s discretion) of the damaged system. This settlement was subject to the courts’ approval, and hearings began in the US and Canada on April 28, 2006, and May 11, 2006, respectively.[56]"

Funny, all my friends 2000 year dcs STILL work.

The PS3 I'm not going to comment on as I didn't own nor do research on.

This generation of games and consoles sucks in my opinion, meh, maybe I'm old.

Idk either, I hear some say it's gaming division, some not. I'd like to see this 10 billion dollar loss from ps3.

The issues with the PlayStation 1 were the plastic disc spindle breaking off due to heat and stress over time causing the disc to slip (This was fixed in version 5001 and later of the original console). The other issue was the one you mentioned. It's not really a design flaw in the traditional sense because when the unit is operated properly (on a hard surface and not a carpet) the problem doesn't occur. Other than that, the system is a well made tank. Mine still works fine.

As for the PS2, the original batch had a suboptimal disc spindle mechanism that caused blue CD-ROM games (the primary game media around launch) to not read correctly. This was fixed very early on (by 2001 iirc). Other than that, there were no serious problems with it. Not sure where you heard of so many defective units. The one I purchased in 2003 worked flawlessly right up until 2012 when I killed the laser with ESD doing routine cleaning (always ground yourself kids).

And I'm pretty sure the PS3 has been making money for a while now. It sold at a loss initially, but Sony recovered from software licensing fees and through other methods. With the release of the slim, the cost of hardware has been a non issue. I'm sure they were hoping on a much faster adoption rate of blu-ray than what actually happened, though.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#20 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:25 am

loool, people taking a Dan Kuso thread seriously.

Don't you guys think if Sony, a massive conglomeration worth trillions would downsize an entire region without any kind of heavy coverage?

Go ahead and search for Sony downsize. Tell me if there's anything there that's relevant to Sony Europe and was announced in October of 2012.

Return to “PlayStation Consoles”