NFL2k series roster file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: NFL2k series roster file

Post#41 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 pm

What! No Tom Brady or Mark Sanchez?... OK, just Tom Brady...lol!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#42 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:17 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:Test Result:
I copied the NFL 2K2 Full Roster save0004.VMI file from the BlueSwirl disc but the VMS did not appear on my official Sega VMU, just the VMI. I am using the official GD-ROM disc. When I boot the game, it says it is corrupt and will "ignore" the file. I have been told the VMS file is hidden and that is why I do not see it on my VMU.

QUESTION:
Can this save be "saved"? If this is that " file", then this would be the thing people were looking for long ago...like me.

I was able to duplicate the same error using demul.

However, I found another nfl2k2 game save under planetweb > sega_sports_nfl_2k2 > v65272. It loaded under demul without error! That is as far as took it as my pc is way to slow to test. Maybe you can give it a try on real Dreamcast hardware?

"The best save! Rosters are almost exact to NFL2K3!
Even Cris Carter for the Packers, Hakim for Lions, I even made 2003 Rookies! All real life rosters, current of Nov.2002"

Evidence SAVE0004.VMS is corrupt:
corrupt.jpg
Attachments
nfl2k2-gamesave-v65272-planetweb.zip
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by MoeFoh on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#43 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:23 am

I will give it a try.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#44 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:36 pm

MOEFOH is quarterbacking the Dallas Cowboys!
Nice butt!
Attachments
nfl2k2.jpg
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#45 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 pm

Passing it on department:
The built-in VMU in Brook's Wingman-SD can be used to transfer VMU dumps and game saves to your Windows PC, then back to the Wingman-SD, after modification on your PC.

Tools: vmuexplorer, brooks vmu utility, usb cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Mcbazel-Wingman- ... 08CHD6XYW/

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/62472958/
Attachments
vmuexplorer.zip
(82.22 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Wingman VMU Tool.zip
(974.01 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#46 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:02 pm

NFL2K2 - whenever I changed a game save using a hex editor, I would get the 'corrupt' error message, when the game first tries to load the file. There must be some tamper-proof checking going on. Maybe that explains the BLOWFISH binary.
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#47 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Echelon CDI release of NFL2K2 (data/data format) - don't use the IP.BIN in the root directory of the CD. Extract it from session 2 and use this when using BootDreams to create a new CDI. I wasted over an hour because of this. Lesson learned!
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#48 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:37 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Passing it on department:
NFL2K2 - whenever I changed a game save using a hex editor, I would get the 'corrupt' error message, when the game first tries to load the file. There must be some tamper-proof checking going on. Maybe that explains the BLOWFISH binary.

after you hex edit the .vms file try to correct the crc and see if it still gives an error.
maybe try different apps b4 giving up.
i know a few say they correct crc, but they don't.

the character data in the save looks like it is in this order.

last line is first
2nd to last line is 2nd
and first line is last

one thing that might help us map out each value in the character data would be to:

create character and only use max proportion allowed for one value.
so if you wanted to find the value for arm size, you max out that value.
then save file and look at the character data in hex editor.
repeat this for each customization allowed. (maybe do one save with a value in the middle) <--this way you can compare to previous save and find the exact location

you can go over the values/and under the values that are allowed in game by hex editing, but the game might only goto 7F max (character creation in game). <--might only be 50-5F at least with the player data I was modding last time I checked?

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#49 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 pm

SMiTH wrote:after you hex edit the .vms file try to correct the crc and see if it still gives an error.
maybe try different apps b4 giving up.
i know a few say they correct crc, but they don't.

Forgot to include that I did do a 'FIX CRC' from VMUExplorer.
- Charles Bukowski

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#50 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:28 pm

this? maybe we can figure it out?
i have same error.

check after you correct the crc it shows in hex.