Interesting video on Dreamcast 3D water rendering.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Interesting video on Dreamcast 3D water rendering.

Post#21 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:39 am

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
Ryo_Hazuki wrote:I would like to know if the Dreamcast could handle this kind of water effect and reflections?

In 2001 the Dreamcast received the game Power Jet Racing, which even had some effect of reflection in the water, but without the ripples.

Not sure why are you asking this again when i answered it on page 1. I show a PS1 game doing the same effect. If they wanted to yeah the dreamcast can do it. They probably didnt want to bother with it too. Its just render to texture.

Don't convince me!
There must be another reason, if it were just a matter of art we would have several examples on the Dreamcast platform.
Even the mighty Shenmue, programmers preferred to create a duplicate of the rooms where there were mirrors than to deal with real reflections.
Even knowing how Rare managed to make good reflexes on the N64, as we see on the Perfect Dark.
Was Sega really that bad in terms of art?

Wow so youre sayung ps1 doing the water render to texture thing you seem to be in love with must be impossible on dc because am2 didnt on shenmue?

First of it has been done on the dreamcast, you system menu reflection and the intro of sports jam is the SAME technique as that ps2 game video you put. Why didnt they use it alot who knows , it can bd multitudes of reason most likely flipping the geometry probably takes less memory and cpu time than rendering the scene again to a texture then doing view conversion to flip it over. The real most likely they just didnt want to bother,
If they wanted to do it , they could have because its ALREADY been done on dc in the two examples i gave you.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#22 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:50 am

None of your examples are ingame!
Good! I remember the Frame Gride game has a submerged stage where it has a distortion effect, I'll take a closer look to see what it's all about.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#23 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 am

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:None of your examples are ingame!
Good! I remember the Frame Gride game has a submerged stage where it has a distortion effect, I'll take a closer look to see what it's all about.

This just shows me you dont know what you are looking for, thats not reflection that wave distortion and its done in real time and in game using render to texture for behind the water scene in code veronica. Thats not the effect you wereasking for. NO DREAMCAST GAME USES IT INGAME. Frame gridge just "JIGGLES " the model vertices for the under water scene not like the render to texture of code veronica or the render to texture of the ps2 game you put.

Heck the only time framegride uses the ripple effect if when you select a stage, it will do a render to texture of the screen on a grid to get the ripple effect( just like code veronica when camera behind water)
You should just give it up, no games on dc used reflections like you want during gameplay and the example that did dont satify you then the dc is not the system for you because " no reflections"

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#24 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:30 pm

Why are you so angry?
The only thing I questioned was whether the Dreamcast is capable of that effect, that's all.

I ask too, because not even in homebrew I see something similar. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do something like this?
And DC has been my main system since early 2001.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#25 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:Why are you so angry?
The only thing I questioned was whether the Dreamcast is capable of that effect, that's all.

I ask too, because not even in homebrew I see something similar. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do something like this?
And DC has been my main system since early 2001.

See this is why i got annoyed , you asked for real time examples, i gave you real time examples. It isnt used for gameplay but ite real time. Meaning the dreamcast is capable whether they used it or not for gameplay. Then proceed to say it isnt an example because its not in gameplay. Then you seemed confused, you confusing wave distortion for reflection or even refraction.

Real time reflection - the bios menu and sports jam intro

Wave distortion - code veronica from behind the glass.

Refraction , radial blur , motion blur - sakura wars 3, sakura wars 4( refraction)

Al3xand3r
noob

Post#26 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:23 am

Skies of Arcadia has some nice water ripples too in at least one area (I've not finished it yet, I started playing it recently and wow, it's a more ambitious game than I gave it credit for previously, if only it had fun combat like Grandia II it'd be the perfect JRPG, or close to it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecFd9ZIlW9M&t=2918