Anyone else hate how the Jump Pack loosens the controller wire?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Londinium
dirty sailor

Anyone else hate how the Jump Pack loosens the controller wire?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:16 pm

I'm not sure about just how common this is, but I've noticed this happening while playing Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

The jump pack causes the wire to loosen from that little spot in the back of the controller. You know, the spot meant so the wire comes from the top of the controller? Such an annoyance.

I like the Jump Pack, I truly do, I just hate this design flaw.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Anyone else hate how the Jump Pack loosens the controller wire?

Post#2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:44 pm

Londinium wrote:I'm not sure about just how common this is, but I've noticed this happening while playing Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

The jump pack causes the wire to loosen from that little spot in the back of the controller. You know, the spot meant so the wire comes from the top of the controller? Such an annoyance.

I like the Jump Pack, I truly do, I just hate this design flaw.

It's never happen for me maybe your controller slot for the cord is worn out or the cord is worn where you place it..

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#3 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 am

Dreamcast Controller Clip

"The Sega Dreamcast is a great console with a controller that had some odd design choices made for it. The most confusing is the controller cable that exits the back of the controller and then attaches to a clip built into the bottom of the controller guiding to the front. This makes absolutely no sense.

Well, Retro Frog is here to save the day. Our Dreamcast Controller Cable Clip attaches to the screws on the front of the controller to keep the cable firmly in place. You can yank and tug and the cable stays in place.

Available in 2 colors. Light gray and black.

Installation:

Remove the 2 screws that flank each size of the VMU ports. Place the clip over the cable and reinstall the 2 screws. Make sure the text on the clip that says VMU with the arrows points towards the VMU. See pictures for correct orientation."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1210966473/dreamcast-controller-cable-clip?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dreamcast&ref=sr_gallery-1-39&organic_search_click=1
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Dreamcast_Controller_Cable_Clip_fklg1t.mp4 [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 1951 times ]

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:21 am

killer-elite wrote:Dreamcast Controller Clip

"The most confusing is the controller cable that exits the back of the controller and then attaches to a clip built into the bottom of the controller guiding to the front. This makes absolutely no sense."

I would say most people find this decision confusing, when there's actually logic to it.

Unlike with other controllers that you're not supposed to look at (unless maybe you can't remember which button is where), with the DC controller housing the VMU, certain games require you to look at the controller. I assume SEGA thought most people would rather lift the controller rather than lower their heads to look at the VMU screen, so they placed the cord at the bottom of the controller so that you're not lifting most of the cord as well (and potentially tugging at the cord), while also giving you the option clip in the cord in case you wanted to.

To me it's not the cable coming out of the bottom of the controller that "makes absolutely no sense". It's that they seem to have forgotten that the Jump Pack is so damn bulky that it gets in the way of the cable coming out of the clip..or the controller was designed so much after the Jump Pack they didn't want to change the controller when they realized it.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#5 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:22 pm

I never used the controller clip. You have to basically bend the base of the cord 145 degrees to get it to clip in which breaks down the wire inside over time. Back in the day we always kept the cord clipped in and my original controllers from back then don't work due to the wire being internally broken.

Just use a couple controller extenders so the cord can comfortably hang down from the bottom of the controller without being clipped in or bent.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am

I just let the cable hang from the bottom, and it never affects my game playing. I always have the Jump Pack in the controller too.