PCEMU.BIN DREAMLIBRARY PC ENGINE EMULATOR

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

PCEMU.BIN DREAMLIBRARY PC ENGINE EMULATOR

Post#1 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:30 pm

Can some1 pls disassemble (pcemu.bin) the pc engine emulator found on the dream passport 3 or dream passport premier disks?
it has already been done by some1. but, they're not willing to share.
it would be better to release it to the public and not gatekeep.

i know drez, roareye, and mr neo have checked out dreamlibrary.
let me know what you guys found.

dc scene groups tried to figure out pcemu.bin 21 years ago to no avail.
i know there are ppl that can figure this out if they wanted to spend the time.

1DR_LIB.BIN calls for ntest.bin in dpdl folder, S00001S00007102241.BIN is not a sega genesis rom. (maybe this is something for the pc engine emulator?)
pcemu.bin is 311kb more than likely that is not the full emulator?
1DR_LIB.BIN is a frontend for both the genesis and pc engine emulators but has tons of strings for online functions.
idk?

the best mod would be to get 1DR_LIB.BIN to load 1MD_EMU.BIN and PCEMU.BIN.
the pc engine and genesis roms would all be placed in the dpdl folder and both emulators then reference the romlist from EMU_ROM.TXT.
it seems like this is how it worked when the dreamlibrary websites were still online?

here are some threads about dreamlibrary:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11528

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14576

here is a video of the pc engine emulator from dream library:

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: PCEMU.BIN DREAMLIBRARY PC ENGINE EMULATOR

Post#2 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:18 am

I asked about this on assemblergames back when that forum existed. I forget the reasoning, but the people who responded suggested it was a no go. Did any PCE roms come on the disc? I heard the whole shebang was a download service, so unless it was a fake download service like "DLC" in the Sonic Adventure games where you're just downloading a file that "unlocks" what's on the disc, then maybe it would be tough to point the emulator to roms that exist on the disc?

Anyone know if there is still a backup of the assembler forums that's online? I can try hunting for my thread to see the responses. Might further the conversation a little bit.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:15 pm

dark wrote:I asked about this on assemblergames back when that forum existed. I forget the reasoning, but the people who responded suggested it was a no go. Did any PCE roms come on the disc? I heard the whole shebang was a download service, so unless it was a fake download service like "DLC" in the Sonic Adventure games where you're just downloading a file that "unlocks" what's on the disc, then maybe it would be tough to point the emulator to roms that exist on the disc?

Anyone know if there is still a backup of the assembler forums that's online? I can try hunting for my thread to see the responses. Might further the conversation a little bit.

S00001S00007102241.BIN might be a pc engine rom? it is located in dpdl folder.
darius plus is referenced in 1MD_EMU.BIN.

i think assemblergames is archived?

https://archive.org/details/assemblerga ... 2018-12-12

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:37 pm

I had a look at some PCE roms. They are all either 256KB, 384KB or 512KB. That could help focus your search if you think there are individual rom files on the disc. For PC emulators, PCE rom dumps are generally given the suffix *.pce, but of course that could be renamed to anything for a commercial emulator.

I'll poke around for my old topic. I looked through the dreamcast forum in an archived version of assembler from 2019-2016 and didn't see it... it might have been a side conversation in someone else's topic.

You might want to check this out too, or reach out to this guy. He uploaded what he describes as the genesis emu from dream library back in 2021.
https://archive.org/details/dream-passp ... games-hack

"Ever since I first received my Dream Passport 3 disc in April of 1999, I was extremely interested in the Dream Library emulator that is contained within the disc. So after the Hooligans ripped DP3, I decided to take it upon myself to try and get the emulator working with the roms that I've collected over the years. This release has 110 Sega MegaDrive (Sega Genesis) roms included with it, and they all work perfectly with this great emulator! The speed, sound and SmashPack thing... (@. @)~ I've also made a boot-up file for this release, so when you start the browser, you will be greeted with the page I've specially created for this hack of Dream Passport 3! The 110 roms each have screenshots, one of the title screen, and one of the actual gameplay. I have also included important information regarding each game, such as how many players are supported, what language the title is in, and what genre it falls under~ (^o^) Obviously, I've pu a lot of effort into this project, and I really hope that some people will find it to be as interesting as I do. I was also EXTREMELY surprised to see that SEGA of Japan had ncluded about 43 roms within the actual Dream Passport disc! It came as even more of a shock to me when I realized that 90% of those 43 roms have never been emulated before!! So if there are any rom collectors out there, you'll be sure to love this release!! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the PC Engine (Turbo Grafx 16) aspect of the emulator to work properly yet, but I'm going to continue trying! If there's anyone out there who would like to contribute to this project in any way possible, please send me a note at: [email protected]

Hopefully with a little help, we can get this to be one of the best applications on the Dreamcast!!! (^o^)

And just a side note, the Dream Passport itself is still fully functional, so you can surf the web or play your favorite Genesis game~! Unfortunately, the Hooligans had to rip a LARGE portion of this disc due to its huge size...

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:06 pm

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:21 pm

Ah ok, didn't know the description was from an old scene release. Thought popnmusic might have been active on the release in 2021.

Well from perusing the other threads, it seems you know a lot more about dream library and the emulators than I do. Good luck!

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:24 pm

dark wrote:Ah ok, didn't know the description was from an old scene release. Thought popnmusic might have been active on the release in 2021.

Well from perusing the other threads, it seems you know a lot more about dream library and the emulators than I do. Good luck!

not really.
i know as much as you do.
i just really want to see this pc engine emulator running on dc lol

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#8 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:30 pm

The guy who posted that vid on youtube has a twitter account. I think that would be a good place to ask where he got if from..

https://twitter.com/gdri/status/1068298177210695680

*edit: It was not his video, He only shared it..

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:36 am

bump bump bump