Wireless StrikerDC Controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Wireless StrikerDC Controller

Post#41 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:23 am

fraggle200 wrote:
dubcity wrote: The blue retro doesn't have memory yet.

it does now!

Capture.PNG

That Just made the dc strikers redundant proper bluetooth controller for all 4 ports at once and proper custom mapping to the 2nd stick :) Time to update all dc fps ports to use the 2nd stick include blue retro mode :) ..
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Panja0
lithium

Post#42 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
fraggle200 wrote:
dubcity wrote: The blue retro doesn't have memory yet.

it does now!

Capture.PNG

That Just made the dc strikers redundant proper bluetooth controller for all 4 ports at once and proper custom mapping to the 2nd stick :) Time to update all dc fps ports to use the 2nd stick include blue retro mode :) ..

Not quite imho...
The wireless StrikerDC does not use bluetooth but "2.4 GHz wireless technology (low latency) with 30 foot range" as per product page.
Of course it has to be proven that it indeed is low latency but you get the picture. :D

I think they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#43 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:09 am

Panja0 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
fraggle200 wrote:
it does now!

Capture.PNG

Not quite imho...
The wireless StrikerDC does not use bluetooth but "2.4 GHz wireless technology (low latency) with 30 foot range" as per product page.
Of course it has to be proven that it indeed is low latency but you get the picture. :D

Yeah we have to see but being able to have 4 controller is a plus and custom mapping for all games as well.. Right now half the price. Bloody bought the one with out vmu support of course lol.. Was cheap like $19..

Panja0
lithium

Post#44 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:40 am

Where can I find one with VMU support?
Can't seem to find it...

Panja0
lithium

Post#45 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:54 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
Panja0 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Not quite imho...

Yeah we have to see but being able to have 4 controller is a plus and custom mapping for all games as well.. Right now half the price. Bloody bought the one with out vmu support of course lol.. Was cheap like $19..

For VMU support do I need the Blue Retro Core?
https://www.blue-retro.com/

Or this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005 ... pt=glo2nld

Or is there any other adapter/device I need?

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#46 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:07 am

I don't think it exists yet to buy.

Panja0
lithium

Post#47 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:16 am

I think it's a software feature?
At least people on X/Twitter seem to say so.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#49 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 am

It is bad that there is no support SD card for storing VMU images

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#50 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:57 pm

I hadn't seen an update about these controllers, but I thought I'd put this here since I ordered one and have been using it for a couple of weeks.

Off the bat, this is a much stronger and seemingly well made device than the Retrofighters wired StrikerDC. I also have that controller, and while I didn't seem to have any of the trigger issues that people reported, I thought that the analog stick was much, much too loose. That's been completely corrected with this version, with a hall-effect stick that feels almost identical in terms of resistance to a modern Xbox or PS controller. From what I can tell, the stick has just about the same travel in all directions as the OEM DC pad, and it feels extremely smooth with any game I've tried.

The face buttons are also a bit less clicky and are more in line with how the original controller feels. They are not identical, but it's a genuine improvement on the wired version. The shape and weight of the controller is also improved. It's exceptionally comfortable to hold, and reminds me of the Switch Pro controller in terms of the form factor. The rumble is built in, which adds a bit of weight, making it feel much better than the wired version (if you weren't playing with a rumble accessory).

The reason people are probably buying this is the wireless functionality, and it's been flawless for me so far. A quick hold of the VMU unit and then a tap of the Start button pairs the device automatically, and there is zero perceptible input lag in my experience. It's fantastic.

The one downside here is still the triggers. They have very, very little resistance. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother me at this point, but the OEM triggers still feel way better to me. It remains to be seen whether the triggers will wear down as quickly or easily as the ones on the wired version, but I would have to imagine that they will be more durable just based on how much sturdier the device feels as a whole.

I would recommend this controller to anyone who is interested. It may be worth waiting to see how durable the triggers are in comparison to the last version, but otherwise this is a pretty excellent device from my perspective.