VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 DREAMCAST COULD IT BE THE PACHINKO VERSION?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 DREAMCAST COULD IT BE THE PACHINKO VERSION?

Post#11 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:13 pm

xaeroxcore wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:
SP is the same Aurora, according to other sites....So could it be...But i don´t see the Pachinko VF listed on its games. By the way, according to other sources, SP/Auora has a "Dreamcast on a chip" internal, which actually has 300 MHz CPU and 150 Mhz GPU. It means if this pachinko VR 4 runs on it, probably an hypothetical DC VF 4 would look similar, but with some cutbacks....But for me, despite this Pachinko VF4 looks closer at first sight to PS2 VF4 and way above the visuals on VF 3, still seems DC DOA 2 stomps it on the visual department. Graphics appear to be lookalike Force Five, but with what it seems to be more detailed character models (or maybe just better art)....Could it be Pachinko VF4 and Force Five share same graphics engine?

Sega Aurora was never used. System sp is exactly Sega Naomi is a different control harness and uses compact flash . So it's exactly a Dreamcast with twice the main ram /vram and like 4x audio ram.
Those specs from system 16 are wrong , it's already been proven because system sp has been emulated .

Found the System SP/Aurora info here, but obviously could be wrong: https://segaretro.org/Sega_System_SP

It's a vanilla Naomi with the except of the controls and the storage media. In short basically a Dreamcast. It's unlikely for this game to be on this .
Sega retro writes bullcrap / conjecture alot of the time . You don't have to believe me but here is what author of demul wrote ON DEMUL DEVELOPMENT LOG:

Are you afraid of Spiders ?

shortly: new system was reverse engineered and emulated - 'Sega System SP' codenamed 'Spider', in some sources (IMO mistakenly) called as "Sega Aurora".
probably last custom, not PC based, hardware developed by Sega.

Tech specs:
CPU: Hitachi SH4 HD6417091Y 200MHz + 32MB RAM
GPU/Chipset: PowerVR2 CLX2 AKA Holly + 16MB RAM
SPU: Yamaha AICA + 8MB RAM
NET: Au1500 333Mhz CPU + 2MB FlashROM + 8MB RAM (probably used only by satellite games)
Media: 128MB - 512MB reprogrammable FlashROM, Compact Flash.

side note: was developed dumping software which writes ROM board content to Compact Flash card, contact us if you have any undumped PCBs on this platform and you wish to dump its content.

https://forum.emu-russia.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=503&start=140

xaeroxcore
fire

Post#12 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:18 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:
TapamN wrote:Might use System SP hardware?

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=732

SP is the same Aurora, according to other sites....So could it be...But i don´t see the Pachinko VF listed on its games. By the way, according to other sources, SP/Auora has a "Dreamcast on a chip" internal, which actually has 300 MHz CPU and 150 Mhz GPU. It means if this pachinko VR 4 runs on it, probably an hypothetical DC VF 4 would look similar, but with some cutbacks....But for me, despite this Pachinko VF4 looks closer at first sight to PS2 VF4 and way above the visuals on VF 3, still seems DC DOA 2 stomps it on the visual department. Graphics appear to be lookalike Force Five, but with what it seems to be more detailed character models (or maybe just better art)....Could it be Pachinko VF4 and Force Five share same graphics engine?

And to be honest these are extremely unlikely to be Dreamcast hardware , more likely something custom or just PC based. They even have cr Virtua fighter pachinko running on PC from 777town from Sammy to play these on PC. Like I said these aren't dc based

Yes, and it makes sense to run those pachislot on pc rather than an outdated console, but what really calls my attention is, why render everything on real time into what it seems to be Dreamcast and PVR visual aesthetic and limitations? If it is PC why not make it closer to regular Naomi 2 VF or at least PS2 version, whic has better lighting and more detailed textures than this? Also remember there are another VF pachislots, seems to be based on VF 5 which i see more likely to run on PC hardware,

For example:

Look at the lighting, is not on line with what we usually have seen on DCs PVR2??

For small comparison, look at Force Five (which is a smaller development and even unreleased)

Also look at Dural model

Same metalic texture seen on lotta DC games and...Blocky hands (on DC was very common this, models with great detail on faces along with blocky hands or another cheap detail).

And the water rendering....Need to say more?

DreamcastFreak
dark night

Post#13 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:11 pm

xaeroxcore wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:

Sega Aurora was never used. System sp is exactly Sega Naomi is a different control harness and uses compact flash . So it's exactly a Dreamcast with twice the main ram /vram and like 4x audio ram.
Those specs from system 16 are wrong , it's already been proven because system sp has been emulated .

Found the System SP/Aurora info here, but obviously could be wrong: https://segaretro.org/Sega_System_SP

Is there any footage of the games anywhere?

DreamcastFreak
dark night

Post#14 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm

xaeroxcore wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
xaeroxcore wrote:

And to be honest these are extremely unlikely to be Dreamcast hardware , more likely something custom or just PC based. They even have cr Virtua fighter pachinko running on PC from 777town from Sammy to play these on PC. Like I said these aren't dc based

Yes, and it makes sense to run those pachislot on pc rather than an outdated console, but what really calls my attention is, why render everything on real time into what it seems to be Dreamcast and PVR visual aesthetic and limitations? If it is PC why not make it closer to regular Naomi 2 VF or at least PS2 version, whic has better lighting and more detailed textures than this? Also remember there are another VF pachislots, seems to be based on VF 5 which i see more likely to run on PC hardware,

For example:

Look at the lighting, is not on line with what we usually have seen on DCs PVR2??

For small comparison, look at Force Five (which is a smaller development and even unreleased)

Also look at Dural model

Same metalic texture seen on lotta DC games and...Blocky hands (on DC was very common this, models with great detail on faces along with blocky hands or another cheap detail).

And the water rendering....Need to say more?

I wouldn't say the the textures are worse than ps2. They're definitely better (they actually have textures for their nails). From my understanding, the models are the same ones from ps2, so no loss there. The rendering is very Dreamcast, even if it's not running on related hardware, though. Hopefully we can track down the hardware to see this thing in action! Not sure it's pc, considering it's emulated on ps4. It's gotta be something relatively low spec.

DreamcastFreak
dark night

Post#15 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 pm

I think that Dural model is lower poly cause they have multiple ones on screen in some scenes.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#16 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:37 pm

DreamcastFreak wrote:I think that Dural model is lower poly cause they have multiple ones on screen in some scenes.

Pretty much this .didn't bother to respond since he already made up his mind that the rendering is very " Dreamcast" . Despite lights with specular term is very generic for all platforms. Ps2 , PC , dc u name it. To be honest if anything the dc uses specular for lights not so often as other platforms in the same gen. ( Since this falls on the cpu to calculate and can be heavy since dc doesn't have built in tnl). Dural are. Very simple models at times because in some parts of the story there can be up to like 5 of them. There's a scene with 1v1 dural that's high poly.

Considering vf pachinko 2008 runs also on PC it's obvious they have the source, there's no need to emulate them , they probably just port it over as needed since this runs on also ps3 and ps4.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#17 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:09 pm

If the Dreamcast version really was based on this game, it would be a good thing they didn't release it, as it is visibly inferior to DoA2.

xaeroxcore
fire

Post#18 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:08 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
DreamcastFreak wrote:I think that Dural model is lower poly cause they have multiple ones on screen in some scenes.

Pretty much this .didn't bother to respond since he already made up his mind that the rendering is very " Dreamcast" . Despite lights with specular term is very generic for all platforms. Ps2 , PC , dc u name it. To be honest if anything the dc uses specular for lights not so often as other platforms in the same gen. ( Since this falls on the cpu to calculate and can be heavy since dc doesn't have built in tnl). Dural are. Very simple models at times because in some parts of the story there can be up to like 5 of them. There's a scene with 1v1 dural that's high poly.

Considering vf pachinko 2008 runs also on PC it's obvious they have the source, there's no need to emulate them , they probably just port it over as needed since this runs on also ps3 and ps4.

Im just saying visually speaking looks very DC doable and similar in grpahical level to Forve Five. Anyway, if its possible to find the dump, that day we will know if its PC, naomi, dc or whatever.

xaeroxcore
fire

Post#19 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:If the Dreamcast version really was based on this game, it would be a good thing they didn't release it, as it is visibly inferior to DoA2.

I think we have 2 scenarios:

1. There aren´t any VF 4 DC really developed...Probably they just used the Naomi/DC development kit (it´s called Katana SDK, right? You guys know more about the topic than me) to create this low budget VF 4 real time cutscenes and minigames amd then put it into pachislot with a DC/Naomi or PC hardware. But i don´t think there is a proper fighting game 100% finished made for DC to then using the models to create minigames and cutscenes.

2. They actually ported VF 4 to DC, but in order to have a "base console version" which would help them to build the PS2 port we all know, and obviously put the pedal to the metal on PS2 to add better effects, lighting and other stuff PS2 can do better than DC.

Anyway, they had no reason to invest into I+D to create a proper DC version that would have taken the system graphical capabilities beyond DOA 2, on a console already discontinued. Also probably Sony paid for exclusivity, like they have done it always.

I know this suppossed VF 4 DC looks inferior to DOA 2, but for me, again, i´m not an expert, looks better than VF 3 and would have been a nicve adition to library, even with this visual level. Anything is better than the promo discs we ended up having, which i think its sad.

Really hope someone finds the dump and give us more lights about this.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#20 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:06 pm

xaeroxcore wrote:
Ryo_Hazuki wrote:If the Dreamcast version really was based on this game, it would be a good thing they didn't release it, as it is visibly inferior to DoA2.

I think we have 2 scenarios:

1. There aren´t any VF 4 DC really developed...Probably they just used the Naomi/DC development kit (it´s called Katana SDK, right? You guys know more about the topic than me) to create this low budget VF 4 real time cutscenes and minigames amd then put it into pachislot with a DC/Naomi or PC hardware. But i don´t think there is a proper fighting game 100% finished made for DC to then using the models to create minigames and cutscenes.

2. They actually ported VF 4 to DC, but in order to have a "base console version" which would help them to build the PS2 port we all know, and obviously put the pedal to the metal on PS2 to add better effects, lighting and other stuff PS2 can do better than DC.

Anyway, they had no reason to invest into I+D to create a proper DC version that would have taken the system graphical capabilities beyond DOA 2, on a console already discontinued. Also probably Sony paid for exclusivity, like they have done it always.

I know this suppossed VF 4 DC looks inferior to DOA 2, but for me, again, i´m not an expert, looks better than VF 3 and would have been a nicve adition to library, even with this visual level. Anything is better than the promo discs we ended up having, which i think its sad.

Really hope someone finds the dump and give us more lights about this.

It's not inferior to doa2 models . I've seen the ps2 superstar models of vf4( they are the same as vf4 ps2 port) . They are 9k triangles. They are pretty much on the dot with doa2 models. They aren't any worse. What we don't have is the stages but judging from the vertex counter of an old pcsx2 emulator it's doing considerably more geometry than doa2 last I saw at peak. ( Comparisons ps2 doa2 vs ps2 vf4. )

The only thing we know of a dc version , if we take at face value what am2 was that they were conducting tests to see how doable is it. That was the last thing they said. They also said from day 1 they were keen on making the best ps2 port they could , so yeah ...