Pulled the HDD from my Dev. Box.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Pulled the HDD from my Dev. Box.

Post#101 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 am

Vasiliy wrote:
hopefully this stuff gets released to the community.

Untill the end of the year . :)

I hope not that long... :cry: Many people could get this game working on Dreamcast, but we need you game_player to upload this for us. Please man, everybody has been waiting for this for so long.

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#102 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Project Status: - Phinal Phase -
You've read correctly. The Phinal Phase, which many have believed to be nothing more than online Phantasy, is about to come to phruition. Phrankly I'm phranticly pioneering onward like an enradged Hildeblue to have a detailed rrreport on what has yet to be discovered ready for psoting by a certain special date transpiring on the ninth day of the ninth month.

At present, the IBM workstation has been cleaned, wiped, reloaded, upgraded, and until yesterday I though was fully ready to go. The SDK 10.0 software has been extracted and is ready for install. My utter lalck of knowledge concerning SCSI though hit a snag though, which may be nothing at all.

:geek: When I attempted to install the SDK software yesterday late afternoon I was greeted with a message window informing me to refer to the readme as the ASPI driver, which is required, were not found on the system. I followed the instructions in the readme, downloaded the latest and greatest ASPI driver from Adaptec, as instructed, and then... nothing. the ASPI driver failed to install. This may turn out to be nothing though. I asked two different technicians about this and they both said they were certain that the ASPI driver won't install unless a SCSI device is actually connected.

So, at some time on Monday the plan is to link up the Katana to the IBM, install the ASPI driver (cross your fingers and say a prayer), install the SDK, and see what happens from that point.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#103 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:14 am

Thank you so much for keeping us posted!
PS2 Online Gaming

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#104 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:58 am

game_player_s wrote:Project Status: - Phinal Phase -
You've read correctly. The Phinal Phase, which many have believed to be nothing more than online Phantasy, is about to come to phruition. Phrankly I'm phranticly pioneering onward like an enradged Hildeblue to have a detailed rrreport on what has yet to be discovered ready for psoting by a certain special date transpiring on the ninth day of the ninth month.

Love tha phalse grammer! :lol:

You sir are a Demigod amungst DC fans! May the force be with you when extracting the data from the harddrive. :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFMxOY-sLU[/youtube]

game_player_s
Graffiti Grind

Post#105 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:48 am

Okay guys, day three of having the unit linked to the IBM terminal. Apparently I need some help/advice/recemmendations.

I'm not getting the Dev Kit to reset. SDK R10 and CE 2.0.x SDK aren't having any success reflashing the unit. The only piece of hardware I don't have that would have been present in the originally intended setup is a SCSI terminator, which would have been put onto port SCSI-B. Was told weeks ago that the terminator wasn't required, but now I'm wondering about that.

Here's the error I'm getting from the CE SDK application Dreamcast Tool:
DCTOOL: Files served from "C:\WCEDreamcast\Release\debug"
DCTOOL: Connecting to Dreamcast...
DCTOOL: Connected
DCTOOL: Found SEGA KATANA_DA Device on SCSI Host <0> : SCSI Device <3>.
DCTOOL: Version 2.0 Copyright(C) 1999 Microsoft Corp.
DCTOOL: dcfs - Dreamcast Windows CE FileServer for NT
DCTOOL: Built: Feb 18 2000 04:11:34
DCTOOL: Debug adapter connected.
DCTOOL: DCFS using debug adaptor interface
DCTOOL: inquiry: SALSA error <SALSA: Timed out or failed to lock synch. object>
DCTOOL: Fail to read debug adaptor
DCTOOL: Released Channel.
DCTOOL: FAILED to find Katana

Boththe SCSI adaptor and XP Pro are detecting the Katana just as the readme file said they should. I did notice that even though XP recognizes the unit's HDD, and assigns it a drive letter, it causes My Computer to lock up if you try to access it using Windows.

All of the Sega R10 SDK applications lock up if you tell them to access the Katana. So I'm sure you can imagine my relief that the CE SDK applications at least didn't lock up when they try to access the unit. Could be BIOS firmware related. I am suspecting that the betas were created in a CE dev enviroment as oppossed to a Sega SDK enviroment for various reasons now.
Now There are no Limits -- SEGA
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#106 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 am

Hello there

This whole thread is the reason I managed to find Dreamcast-talk so have been really excited with the progress so far

I really wish I could help but I don't know anything about the Katana etc. I can offer free hardware etc and donations but other than that I hope someone else can help you get this great project finalised!

Out of interest what does the programming in CE or SDK of the beta actually mean? i.e if its in CE will it not work on a DC without being reprogrammed to SDK? I am totally unfamiliar with programming speak sorry! :)

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#107 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

game_player_s wrote:Okay guys, day three of having the unit linked to the IBM terminal. Apparently I need some help/advice/recemmendations.

I'm not getting the Dev Kit to reset. SDK R10 and CE 2.0.x SDK aren't having any success reflashing the unit. The only piece of hardware I don't have that would have been present in the originally intended setup is a SCSI terminator, which would have been put onto port SCSI-B. Was told weeks ago that the terminator wasn't required, but now I'm wondering about that.

Here's the error I'm getting from the CE SDK application Dreamcast Tool:
DCTOOL: Files served from "C:\WCEDreamcast\Release\debug"
DCTOOL: Connecting to Dreamcast...
DCTOOL: Connected
DCTOOL: Found SEGA KATANA_DA Device on SCSI Host <0> : SCSI Device <3>.
DCTOOL: Version 2.0 Copyright(C) 1999 Microsoft Corp.
DCTOOL: dcfs - Dreamcast Windows CE FileServer for NT
DCTOOL: Built: Feb 18 2000 04:11:34
DCTOOL: Debug adapter connected.
DCTOOL: DCFS using debug adaptor interface
DCTOOL: inquiry: SALSA error <SALSA: Timed out or failed to lock synch. object>
DCTOOL: Fail to read debug adaptor
DCTOOL: Released Channel.
DCTOOL: FAILED to find Katana

Boththe SCSI adaptor and XP Pro are detecting the Katana just as the readme file said they should. I did notice that even though XP recognizes the unit's HDD, and assigns it a drive letter, it causes My Computer to lock up if you try to access it using Windows.

All of the Sega R10 SDK applications lock up if you tell them to access the Katana. So I'm sure you can imagine my relief that the CE SDK applications at least didn't lock up when they try to access the unit. Could be BIOS firmware related. I am suspecting that the betas were created in a CE dev enviroment as oppossed to a Sega SDK enviroment for various reasons now.

Why not ask on assembler forum? theres a few people who still program using the katana there.I dont know about windows ce though.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#108 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:55 pm

runkthepunk wrote:Out of interest what does the programming in CE or SDK of the beta actually mean? i.e if its in CE will it not work on a DC without being reprogrammed to SDK? I am totally unfamiliar with programming speak sorry! :)
the Dreamcast had two development environments. windows CE and Sega's. the CE was meant to make windows 95/98 games easier to port to the Dreamcast. it would also make it easier to program for if you knew how to code for CE. many people feel that CE based games ran and looked crappier though.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#109 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Cool that explains that then :) I guess then that most of the CE developed games were PC ports or at least in production with PC at the same time so easy for the developer to use CE rather than the Sega SDK. interesting stuff if you are a Dreamcast nerd like me! :shock:

damn shame they didn't port Grim Fandango as that worked on windows 95/98 would have been a lovely dreamcast console exclusive!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#110 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:01 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:Why not ask on assembler forum? theres a few people who still program using the katana there.I dont know about windows ce though.

Exactly, those guys specialize on lost devkit games and unreleased betas, they would be the pros to ask on what to do with the files on the devkit and how to safely copy them to your pc harddrive.

Edit: Here is the thread about your devkit find that cOcO made over there, I forgot that it exsisted.

http://assemblergames.com/forums/showth ... ock+2+beta

Ask for help on that thread, more people will help you out then. :D

Return to “Lounge”