Armada Online Dreamcast Port

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Armada Online Dreamcast Port

Post#1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Alright, so as some of you may know, a couple of the original creators of the Dreamcast game, Armada, are working on a sequel for the PC called Armada Online. I just recently found out about this after having bought the original. So I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, the developers would be willing to port the game to the Dreamcast as well. I know it may be a long shot but considering it's just a small indie company and they have worked on the Dreamcast before, maybe they would consider it. If you're interested in this, go post a comment on the thread below which I created on the official site (also vote "yes" on the poll).

http://www.armada-online.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=5925

Here's some gameplay of Armada Online if you haven't seen it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1bn94ZIHQ[/youtube]
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Re: Armada Online Dreamcast Port

Post#2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 pm

It's a sweet idea. But if this is an online only game I think it will be difficult to port it to Dreamcast since setting up an online service would be almost impossible. At least not financially feasable...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:12 am

elmagicochrisg wrote:It's a sweet idea. But if this is an online only game I think it will be difficult to port it to Dreamcast since setting up an online service would be almost impossible. At least not financially feasable...

I wonder if there could be some way to integrate the Dreamcast's connection with their PC servers. Or is that nonsense? I don't have much expertise with these things.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:04 am

Alec1382 wrote:I wonder if there could be some way to integrate the Dreamcast's connection with their PC servers. Or is that nonsense? I don't have much expertise with these things.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't see any reason why not. Even if they require that you have the Broadband Adapter.
PSO Characters:

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#5 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 am

I hope I didn't start a trend here ^_^ well we can always try and if I'm not mistaken isn't pso for dreamcast shared with pc and GameCube not sure about GameCube but I'm sure it's with pc. But requiring a BBA will only target a small amount of people because there's not many out there. If they do release a game it will be best that all players have access.

But there's always room for development seeing more and more developers creating games of different genres will be awesome. Let's also let them know about the girl talk development being researched.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 am

PhiseJr wrote:I hope I didn't start a trend here ^_^

Too late! I'm going to see if I can get Skyrim ported next. ;)

PhiseJr wrote: and if I'm not mistaken isn't pso for dreamcast shared with pc and GameCube not sure about GameCube but I'm sure it's with pc.

I don't think you can play with GameCube players but I play with PC players all the time on the Dreamcast.

PhiseJr wrote:But requiring a BBA will only target a small amount of people because there's not many out there. If they do release a game it will be best that all players have access.

I agree but I'm just saying if it's necessary. There's probably a lot of data being up/downloaded in the game and dial-up may not be adequate enough.
PSO Characters:

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 pm

The dreamcast is coming with a strong year it looks like one game launch a potential new developer and the developer of Makaqu is active once again. Kos is looking towards getting online support.

I want to develop a team that will make some games for the dreamcast outside usual shumps. But I don't have anyone interested in the dreamcast in my area and I don't have funds to pay or support much of the development.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Make sure you guys post at the forum in the link above if you want this to happen. I'm sure they won't take much notice if I'm the only one who wants it. So far all I got is one reply simply saying "No.". How rude! :x
PSO Characters:

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Yeah, I saw that. I was kind of amused that the only poster shot you down like that. :P

I don't really like creating an account simply for one thread, but I guess I will anyway.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks Alec. I was hoping more "in favor of" posters would give me a bit of credibility but unfortunately it seems to have done the opposite. Two members there are insisting I made multiple accounts just to get another "yes" vote on the poll. Apparently they don't think there could possibly be more than one Dreamcast fan in the world! Sheesh! :roll:
PSO Characters: