Games that you can only get on Dreamcast.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Neku
lithium

Games that you can only get on Dreamcast.

Post#1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 pm

I was looking for some great games that you can only get on Dreamcast and will most likely only ever be on Dreamcast. There are a ton great games for sure but a few of the one I planned on getting are either on another console with bonus content or getting hd remakes so I need to plan on getting more. I'm more interested in other genres than bullet hell and fighting games, but a few suggestions on them wouldn't hurt as well.

Thanks.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Games that you can only get on Dreamcast.

Post#2 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 pm

This is a great question!

I hear so many out there on the net that say the DC has lost much in its appeal due to it awesome library has been either ported to other platforms or are being on the verge of receiving a HD release. I say FUCK DAT! There is still PLENTY or awesome games that can only be played on DC and will most likely stay that way for a few more years. Just at the top of my head:

Plasma Sword
Tech Romancer
Spawn ITDH
SF3 Double Impact (that's 2 awesome game that have remained exclusive on DC)
Crazy Taxi 2
MSR
Toy Commander
Project "mutherfuck'n" Justice

The list goes on baby!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 pm

I was thinking of this exact topic the other day! Dreamcast had a lot of great games, but many of the top notch ones saw ports to PS2/GC/Xbox/PSP/GBA in various formats. Technically an updated game like Powerstone Collection or the GC version of Skies of Arcadia or Evolution Worlds aren't exactly the same game as the corresponding dreamcast games, but I'll treat them as such for the list below.

Many other games were either PC ports (Railroad Tycoon, Unreal, Quake 3), or ported to PC (Sega Rally, Trick Style), or DC upgraded ports of PSX/N64 games (MK Gold, Hydrothunder, V-Rally). While there are tons of DC exclusive Japanese date sims and the like, here are some notable "game" games that I think are DC exclusives, meaning no ports to other systems (outside Naomi arcade, which was the arcade version of the dreamcast) and no re-releases as downloadable titles.

List of DC exclusives available only in dreamcast and/or arcade form. Games on the list are not available in like form on earlier or later consoles or on PC (discounting dreamcast emulation):

Shmups
-Borderdown (JP)
-Mars Matrix
-Gigawing
-Gigawing 2
-Zero Gunner 2 (JP)
-Rainbow Cotton (JP)
Racing
-Metropolis Street Racer
-Daytona USA 2001 (a complete DC only remake with new graphics/extras)
-Toy Racer
-4 Wheel Thunder
-Zusar Vasar (JP)
-Super Runabout
-POD Speedzone
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
-Flag to Flag
Fighting, wrestling
-Fighting Vipers 2
-Project Justice
-Spawn ITDH
-Street Fighter 3 Double Impact
-Plasma Sword
-Virtua Fighter 3TB
-Heavy Metal Geomatrix
-Tech Romancer
-WWF Royal Rumble
Beat 'em up, Hack 'n slash, Action Adventure
-Dynamite Cop
-Zombie Revenge
-Soul Fighter
-Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
-Max Steel: Covert Missions
RPG, Lengthy story games
-Shenmue 1
-Elemental Gimmick Gear
-Time Stalkers
-Segagaga (JP)
-Record of Lodoss War
-Sword of the Berserk [DC edition] (there are several games with the same title now)
Horror/Horror Adventure
-D2
-Carrier
-Illbleed
-Blue Stinger
Sports, Extreme sports, Arcade sports
-Rippin Riders/Snow Surfers/Cool Boarders Burnnnn (3 different titles, same game)
-Powersmash / Virtua Tennis
-Cosmic Smash
-Sports Jam
-Virtua Striker 2
-Tee Off Golf
Party
-Sonic Shuffle
-Bomberman Online
-Ooga Booga
-Pen Pen Tri Icelon
Non-racing vehicle games (flight sims, vehicular action)
-Propeller Arena
-Frame Gride
-Alien Front Online
-Iron Aces
-Airforce Delta (Deadly Skies)
-Gundam Side Story: 0079
-Red Dog
FPS
-Outtrigger
Arcade Action and non-fps gun games
-Cannon Spike
-Toy Commander
-Charge N Blast
-Confidential Mission
Puzzle, Strategy, "Thinking games"
-Lost Golem (JP)
-Coaster Works/Jet Coaster Dream 1
-Jet Coaster Dream 2 (JP)
-Bomber Hehe (JP)
-Lack of Love (JP)
-Seventh Cross: Evolution
-Floigan Bros. Episode 1
-I Spy: Operation Espionage
Platformer
-Napple Tail (JP)
-Super Magnetic Neo
Music games
-Cool Cool Toon (JP)
-Otoire Dreamcast Sequencer (JP)

Titles that have been ported to handheld consoles only
-Powerstone 1
-Powerstone 2
-Chu Chu Rocket
-Crazy Taxi 2
Last edited by dark on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 34 times in total.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Thank you for keeping that "MF" on the list for PJ ;)

I was thinking of this exact topic the other day! Dreamcast had a lot of great games, but many of the top notch ones saw ports to PS2/GC/Xbox/PSP/GBA, while many other titles were either PC ports, or ports of PSX/N64 games.

True, but the Dreamcast version almost always ends up being the superior port with VGA support, arcade accuracy etc.

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#5 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Carrier ?

Hey i like it.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 pm

@dark: you can remove the (?) On DC and ZG! Although you should a 2 at the end of ZG! Because the first game never saw a home port. Ever!

I'm also tempted to ask to put the Power Stone series, as the PSP ports were a major disaster! Just horrible!

Neku
lithium

Post#7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks guys, nice lists. 8-)

Is it worth getting games like Skies of Arcadia and Jet Grind Radio on the DC? Are they better in anyway?

Also, Shenmue 2 even though on Xbox, let's you transfer saves which is a great reason to get it on DC :D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm

CD AGES wrote:I'm also tempted to ask to put the Power Stone series, as the PSP ports were a major disaster! Just horrible!

What's wrong with them? I have and play them and I think they did a great job with the port!

Also, Crazy Taxi 2 isn't an exclusive. It's on the PSP in Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars.

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite exclusives:

Ooga Booga
Floigan Bros. Episode 1
Zombie Revenge
Seaman
Alien Front Online
Blue Stinger
Armada
Maken X
Last edited by pcwzrd13 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Updated the list ;) I kinda wanted to make a master list of these anyway. It's my personal preference, but I wanted to only do a list of the truly exclusive titles. Even though Powerstone collection was a disaster (i've never played it), it's clearly a combo of Powerstone 1 and 2. If we put those in, where do we really draw the line? do we start putting in Joe Joe's Bizarre Adventure for Matching Service just because it had online play and the PSX port didn't? Do we put in Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 because TXR Zero had just a handful of extra features? Do we put in Chu Chu rocket because the GBA version had 2d graphics and no online play? Do we put in KOFDM99 or KOF 99 Evo because they have different names than the original games and and have 3D recreations of the 2D backgrounds? I feel like if we started doing this, the list would probably get super big and include virtually every dreamcast game ;) I would probably take SFIII Double Impact out of the list too under this rubric since 3rd strike was ported to everything and it's arguably "just" an enhancement of the game, but I'll grandfather it in XD

Edit: took out Crazy Taxi 2

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 pm

I never played TXR Zero, but looking at videos of it on youtube, it actually does look fairly different in terms of graphics, gameplay, music, etc when compared to TXR2. Maybe I should put TXR2 on the list. What say yee?