Your First Dreamcast Experience

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Lan-Di
Anarki

Re: Your First Dreamcast Experience

Post#21 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:51 am

got mine launch day. I ordered it from Japan Video Games in 1998. The game that came with it was Godzilla Generations. Then Later in 1999, I got the US variant with Soul Caliber, Sonic Adventure and Marvel vs Capcom - Clash of the Super Heroes.

The first emulator I tried to play was an early version of Nester DC that had funky sound lol

CORE316
photon blast

Post#22 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:09 pm

Played at friends back in 1999 and loved it
Sonic Adventure
Quake III Arena
Sword of the Berserk
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Soul Caliber
Shenmue

I got my own the following year Christmas 2000 Sonic Adventure, ChuChu Rocket, Sega Bass Fishing Bundle.
Seperate VMU and Vibration Pack. (Bonus Utopia Boot CD) Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Godzilla WWF Royal Rumble Copies MKGold Copies. Boxing Day got RE Code Veronica and new year ShadowMan.

Love the Blue Swirl and Custom Cases just the Disc holders bit brittle unfortunately.
Chose Dreamcast over the PS2 Craze not to mention the PS2 I could have got would have also been Chipped and Multi-region DVD Player.

Hard to believe I used to play via RF Signal. But was one Console I was really excited to have.

Snake79
lithium

Post#23 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:02 am

I had been following the development of the console in magazines and I had purchased the first edition of Official Dreamcast Magazine which included a promo video of the console and many of the launch games. That got me hyped at what the new console was capable of, with most of the games looking truely next gen.

I think the first time I saw the DC in the flesh was a kiosk at a local game shop not long after it's release in the UK. They had Soul Calibur running and it looked stunning.

I received the console on Christmas day 1999 along with Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Soul Calibur and Sega Rally 2. I was a very happy chappy that day. I think I connected online a few days later, and it felt like the future had arrived.

Mroowski
noob

Post#24 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:55 pm

I've bought a Dreamcast years after it was already discontinued, around 2004 or even 2005. There were several games I desperately wanted to play and I knew a guy who was a serious Sega fanatic. He introduced me to a lot of titles, like Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia. Since I grew up with a GameCube, I've already been a bit hooked on Sega, but not for this extent. I remember playing Sonic Adventure 2 and the chaos that insues in the first level with all the cars going everywhere.

I remember how weird the controller felt, but how smooth the console experience felt. It's hard to explain now, but the games on the DC seemed to have much cleaner picture then the competition from back in the day, even on the worst RCA cables we were using.

bingobongo
minority

Post#25 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 pm

Imported Shenmue on an imported Dreamcast - even though it was all in Japanese and nobody understood anything - it was still a mind-blowing experience that I clearly remember to this day. There was nothing quite like that on a home console, up to that point. It was the stuff dreams were made of :)

Similar to GTA 3 - that's another one that I remember in the same way - but obviously not a Dreamcast game.