CD ROMANCE WARNING

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SparkThaMetal
dark night

CD ROMANCE WARNING

Post#1 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:40 pm

Just posting this to warn people that CD Romance has corrupted Dreamcast Iso's

Ive seen various streamers having issues with them and they end up thinking they could have a faulty dc/gdemu until they are told about cd romance corruption issues.

Strangely, they will boot fine but have graphical issues/glitches. Ive seen it with HeadHunter from there and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, as well as some others i forget off the top of my head. Headhunter would freeze on a cutscene near the last 20% of the game, Who Wants To Be a Millionaire has garbled graphics from boot up.

I know the admin/site owners have been told about it before, but it continues to happen. They must have/had a faulty hard drive somewhere in the chain.

So yeah I would avoid getting isos from CD romance and let anyone else know of the issue. Personally for vanilla GDI's i stick to the tosec torrent packs. Anything else I would get from here.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Re: CD ROMANCE WARNING

Post#2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:07 pm

Ecco the dolphin also freezes and crashes the system.

Army Men and Urban Chaos do not boot.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:15 am

Sent them messages about this in 2018 still an issue

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:54 pm

I think they dont care if it works on emulator all the testing ever done.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:47 am

Specific links to cdromance cdi downloads that have issues would be most helpful here so people can avoid them.

Ian is correct - they have no real Dreamcast. cdi's are only tested under emulation.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

SparkThaMetal
dark night

Post#6 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:28 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Specific links to cdromance cdi downloads that have issues would be most helpful here so people can avoid them.

Ian, is correct - they have no real Dreamcast. cdi's are only tested under emulation.

I'll update with some links in the next couple of days but its best to avoid the site entirely.

It isnt just cdi files there that are broken, GDI files are too. All the streamers ive seen having issues with their stuff are using gdemus and so full gdi files. Headhunter was 100% a gdi copy and bugged out and crashed towards the end, repeatable, not just a random bug.

Whatever is happening to their files isnt always causing them to break in a way youd notice. Some dont boot or have garbled graphics , others freeze later in the game.

Therefore If its a faulty hard drive causing their issues then any file you get from there could be different in some way to the file you intended. May not be enough to break it, but do you want to run the risk of it even being slightly dodgy/altered from file corruption?

And by the same token unless cdromance delete everything and start from scratch, they wont ever resolve it themselves. As they too wouldnt know which specific files have been affected without playing through every single one to the end.

Therefore unless each member of the public remembers exactly which files they have got from there and plays them all the way through, theres no way for us to know if any copies we have that are from there are broken either. So as those copies enter more peoples collections, the amount of broken copies floating around goes up and up.

Links may help people know which ones to delete from their own collections though if they think it may be from there, so ill still do that.

EDIT: I had another thought, they could be using torrents to get their files and having completion issues on their torrents, which is why you need to click ''re-check the torrent'' and it grabs an extra few mb it was missing but didnt show before. I do it after every download of iso files, especially unrard ones.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:04 pm

Why not archive.org, there is no GDI that is not on there

Slow to be sure but gold. I dig CDRomance for the few translations that I can not patch myself and this Saturn one I did but was getting refused, somehow theirs not

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 pm

Archive, FuzzCast, https://r-roms.github.io/ , the Download Section on this site…

Plenty of alternatives available let this site rot away like all the others who have quantity over quality.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#9 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 am

TOSEC DAT files to verify hash totals of downloads if you suspect file corruption:

https://www.tosecdev.org/downloads
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:51 pm

0o0o0o0o0o0 lol. Everything now is "This site doesn't host any files."

EDIT: CDR devised a workaround, read they Discord

EDIT 2: Back no workaround
Last edited by mistamontiel on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.