ZOOM modem fault?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

scarface_one
shadow

ZOOM modem fault?

Post#1 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:26 am

Hello the team,

I have a few questions about the ZOOM modem I own. I bought the DreamPi kit, Line voltage inducers and modem from dreamcastlive several years ago. 8-) It's connected to my Japanese Dreamcast with GDEmu, PSU and fan mod. With the original Japanese Modem

I stopped using the kit because I'd moved house and didn't have enough space to install my consoles and play online with my Dreamcast.
Recently, I was able to get a "SEGA gaming" room and reinstalled my system. I installed the latest sofware 1.9 DLE and everything worked.

I encountered recently. During 2 different sessions on PSO, I was disconnected from the server after more than 20 min of play.
Last night, I simply couldn't connect at all, neither to PSO nor any other game, nor the web.

I noticed that none of the 2 green LEDs on my ZOOM modem were lit. After several RESETs, waiting for the Dreamcast modem to be exchanged, apart from a flicker when removing the RJ11 cable or reconnecting the USB modem to the Rasp, nothing. No initialization.

This morning, I rebooted my system without touching anything, and after a few minutes, the 2 LEDs lit up and I was able to connect.

Do you have any idea what's wrong?
Is it my ZOOM modem or something else?

Thanks in advance.

mickschen
core

Re: ZOOM modem fault?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:35 am

Do you use your raspberry with an extra powersupply?

And dont put the modem in and out while the raspberry is on. You have to restart the Raspberry then.

And after restart, the Rasberry need a lil bit time to push the modem on and connect to the web

scarface_one
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:17 am

My Raspberry is "2011.12" version with the lastest version of DreamPi

mickschen wrote:Do you use your raspberry with an extra powersupply?

Yes with enought power

And dont put the modem in and out while the raspberry is on. You have to restart the Raspberry then.
And after restart, the Rasberry need a lil bit time to push the modem on and connect to the web

If I removed/plug any USB like the inducer/Moded, the Raspberry "Restart alone"
I've noticed that it's regularly in the early evening that the modem isn't activated.

With the Zoom, I'm disconnected after about 30min of PSO gaming. With Alien Front Online, I get disconnected quickly after connecting to the game.
I bought 2 new Dell modems (RD02-D400) to test and I will do that's this week-end.

scarface_one
shadow

Post#4 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:36 am

Hello,

I'm here to give you some news. I bought a new Raspberry 4B to have a Wi-Fi network connection and no longer go through network adapters (RJ45) that go through the electrical current.

I haven't had time to do a big online session to test it properly. However, I didn't observe any problems with the modem. I suspect my old Raspberry is defective.

I did manage to find 2 new compatible Dell USB modems. At least I have a spare.

Tanks for the help

T