[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OniKuno
shadow

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#311 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:12 am

Hi,

Anyone have any problems with the red book audio games, Worms world party, MK gold, chuchu rocket, KOF dream match 99?

they work fine first boot but in about 10 - 20 minutes maybe I noticed the sound track gets all distorted or scratchy,

Maybe I'm the only person here gone mad or something, I've tested other forms of USB storage I get the same issue. (USB2.0 thumb drive or USB3.0 SD card reader)

thanks

Xiden
Developer

Post#312 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:28 pm

OniKuno wrote:Hi,

Anyone have any problems with the red book audio games, Worms world party, MK gold, chuchu rocket, KOF dream match 99?

they work fine first boot but in about 10 - 20 minutes maybe I noticed the sound track gets all distorted or scratchy,

Maybe I'm the only person here gone mad or something, I've tested other forms of USB storage I get the same issue. (USB2.0 thumb drive or USB3.0 SD card reader)

thanks

I have not. Do you have latest firmware? Are you ysing GDI versions?

OniKuno
shadow

Post#313 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:53 pm

Yes I tried cdi, gdi tosec iso works. I am on the most recent firmware too

edit: it feels like the music slowing down later down the line, I have a video I'll upload once it's done
edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDndQmdh1EI here's the video. (removed)
edit 3: looks like there isn't a solution I guess I'll contact the maker and see if he can give me a replacement, I've bought since 2017 I thought it was a firmware issue but I guess it's something else.
edit 4: ok I got in contact with Mnemo, he suggested to clean the contacts but I did that, did extended tests in games, same results sadly.
he offered me a free replacement which is cool :)

peido
rebel

Post#314 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:47 pm

Hi.
Does anyone know the difference between the file "Hotfixes Firmware/USB-GD_fw-18-04-18(O).bin" and the file "Stable Firmware/USB-GDROM_fw-18-04-18(O).bin" in the Google Drive Archive (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing) in the first post?
They seem to be equal.

peido
rebel

Post#315 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:08 pm

Also, what firmware version do you use? Do you still use an older firmware, or did you upgrade to the latest?
I have a very old firmware (I'll have to check the version, I don't remember it from memory), I just play a few games once in a while, do you recommend me to update?

Xiden
Developer

Post#316 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:39 pm

peido wrote:Also, what firmware version do you use? Do you still use an older firmware, or did you upgrade to the latest?
I have a very old firmware (I'll have to check the version, I don't remember it from memory), I just play a few games once in a while, do you recommend me to update?

You'll definitely want to update but I recommend contacting mnemo directly for a custom firmware. There is a time bomb on older firmware that causes the ode to stop working, so you'll need to patch.

peido
rebel

Post#317 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:20 am

Thanks @Xiden, I'll contact Mnemo. When I find time I'll check the version I'm in and contact him. I probably have fw 17-11-08 because my usb-gdrom got shipped on the 2018/01/20 (according to an email I found).

peido
rebel

Post#318 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:59 am

Hi!

I've confirmed today, I have version 17/11/08.
I'm going to ask Mnemo an update file.

I have a few new questions.

Xiden wrote:There is a time bomb on older firmware that causes the ode to stop working

This time bomb, is it also present on version 17/11/08?
If the time bomb is not present on version 17/11/08, should I risk upgrade to a new firmware with a more hidden time bomb?
Just curious, how does the time bomb work? It's like, only let's the customers use the ODE for 1000hours and then kills it? Or it kills the ODE on the 2024/12/25? Anyone knows?

If I update to the new firmware, will I have to start using the new root_init.rar? In my old firmware, I have a root_init.rar and a root_init2.rar that are different from the new root_init.rar, and they also have a LaunchDASHBOARD.iso inside (the new root_init.rar doesn't have a LaunchDASHBOARD.iso inside). The LaunchDASHBOARD.iso is it not needed in the new firmware?

Thanks for the help :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#319 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:48 am

peido wrote:Hi!

I've confirmed today, I have version 17/11/08.
I'm going to ask Mnemo an update file.

I have a few new questions.

Xiden wrote:There is a time bomb on older firmware that causes the ode to stop working

This time bomb, is it also present on version 17/11/08?
If the time bomb is not present on version 17/11/08, should I risk upgrade to a new firmware with a more hidden time bomb?
Just curious, how does the time bomb work? It's like, only let's the customers use the ODE for 1000hours and then kills it? Or it kills the ODE on the 2024/12/25? Anyone knows?

If I update to the new firmware, will I have to start using the new root_init.rar? In my old firmware, I have a root_init.rar and a root_init2.rar that are different from the new root_init.rar, and they also have a LaunchDASHBOARD.iso inside (the new root_init.rar doesn't have a LaunchDASHBOARD.iso inside). The LaunchDASHBOARD.iso is it not needed in the new firmware?

Thanks for the help :)

I don't have a rootinit on my USB I think it's just for faster loads but I'm not sure. Launchdashboard is only needed as a quick shortcut to get to the Dreamcast bios.

I can only confirm his latest firmware does not have it. It was a security measure to stop China from cloning his boards. After so much time past it forced you to update firmware before you can continue to use it.

peido
rebel

Post#320 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:35 pm

Hi.
Just letting you know I talked with MNemo and he told me to just use the update file in his site. I did so and everything went well.
Thanks for your help.