GDMENU Card Manager

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stupid catgirl
noob

Re: GDMENU Card Manager

Post#211 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 pm

Hi! I'm having some trouble getting openmenu to display box art & descriptions. I'm using 2.0.0, and I have the most recent ICON, BOX, and META .dat files in tools\openMenu\menu_data as per the instructions, but they still don't show up. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Otherwise everything has been working great and it's been very easy to mod my Dreamcast using all of this software, so bless this community for keeping this console alive :)

EDIT: I found out what was wrong, I was adding the games straight from .7z to the SD card, and none of them had serials this way. Now that they have their serials the box art & descriptions are displaying properly. Oops!
Last edited by stupid catgirl on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#212 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:54 am

sonik wrote:No idea what's going on there :-(
I'm no mac expert but files starting with a dot are hidden files?

I think I read somewhere that renaming the .gdi files is required of helps in someway, is that true? I just have the original gdi files with the name of the game, e.g. metropolisstreetracer.gdi, or something similar.

Are they supposed to be named “disc.gdi”?

Thanks for your help!

sonik
Developer

Post#213 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:19 pm

stupid catgirl wrote:EDIT: I found out what was wrong, I was adding the games straight from .7z to the SD card, and none of them had serials this way. Now that they have their serials the box art & descriptions are displaying properly. Oops!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to open a issue for this on github.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

sonik
Developer

Post#214 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:20 pm

ShreddieMercury wrote:Are they supposed to be named “disc.gdi”?

The app will rename the files for you.
I'm curious to why the file names starts with a dot.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#215 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:09 pm

sonik wrote:
ShreddieMercury wrote:Are they supposed to be named “disc.gdi”?

The app will rename the files for you.
I'm curious to why the file names starts with a dot.

I will definitely check and see what the file names look like, but I don’t think any of them start with “.”. I’ll send a screencap when I get a chance.

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#216 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm

I wanted to check back and let you know that I successfully resolved my issue. For whatever reason, the issue appears to have been the name of the GDI files. By renaming my GDI's to "disc.gdi" before I dumped them onto the SD card, everything in the GDMENU Card Manager works perfectly. Not sure if this is a Mac-only issue, but thought I'd let people know in the event that they run into the same thing.

I can also confirm that dragging and dropping works just fine on Mac. I can't thank you enough for this software. I've been manually managing my SD card for years since I bought a GDEMU, and this makes it so, so much easier. Amazing work.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#217 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:03 pm

ShreddieMercury wrote:Not sure if this is a Mac-only issue, but thought I'd let people know in the event that they run into the same thing

in Linux and Windows versions there is no such problem, apparently on MAC the renaming function works differently.
I encountered the problem of creating files in a linux application compiled for windows, to create a windws file there was no need to pass additional arguments

Code: Select all

mkdir("workdir/"
#ifndef WIN32
         , 0777
#endif
         )

sonik
Developer

Post#218 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:31 am

Thanks for the info.
Without access to a mac I really can't test and debug.

When adding new items to a card, the app will just copy them from source to dest (with a new filename if needed).
The file copy command is internal to the framework and I expect it to work in a cross platform way (really!).
EDF! EDF! EDF!

DrBackhands
noob

Post#219 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:59 pm

Hello all! I’m having trouble getting some non-blacklisted GDI-shrunk games to play.

I’m using GDMENUCardManager 2.0 with openmenu (though I’ve tried with gdMenu also) over Windows 10 x64. I’m shrinking all games that aren’t blacklisted. Games are saved to a 512 GB Sandisk microSD. The Dreamcast is Japanese and I’m playing over HDMI with PixelFX’s DCDigital. .gdis are fully-working TOSECs. Games are compressed when added to the card manager (GDMENUCardManager is unzipping them).

When I go to play games, some work and some don’t. For example, Ecco the Dolphin which I shrunk, works fine. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, however, only work if they aren’t shrunk. When selecting non-working shrunk games, it takes me back to the Dreamcast’s main menu. If I then select “Play” it prompts me to “Please insert game disc” at which point I have to restart the Dreamcast.

Also, when saving to my SD card, GDMENUCardManager no longer prompts me with “Done,” but rather “Cannot create a file when that file already exists.”

GDEMU.ini reads:

open_time = 150
detect_time = 150
reset_goto = 1

Some screens:

GDMENUCardManager file and folder config.

How the openmenu folder is configured.

How Sonic Adventure looks shrunk and non-shrunk.

How GDMENUCardManager looks in action.

I have a feeling the problem is with how I set up GDMENUCardManager or maybe openmenu or even dependencies in Windows that GDI Shrink might require, but I’m not sure. Any idea what might be the problem here or how to find out? Thanks all!

Gromber
undertow

Post#220 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:30 pm

add this line to GDEMU.ini and test that games:

image_tests = 0

I think Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 pal i don't have it trimmed, maybe didn't work for me either or didn´t save space.

If one particular game still don´t work and it´s not blacklisted, thats normal, depends of the original gdi source, game, region, sd... etc, for example i can´t shrink resident evil 2 pal-es fantranslated or super runabout pal, that list is very personal and needs more testing (error and report) to help to grow that list. You can also use Extract Re-Build GDI's to shrink some games and have an alternative to test.

@sonik it´s possible to add a option to convert a title to all uppercase letters like before? now i use ms word to do it :D