im stumped GDEMU issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

segafan1985
noob

Re: im stumped GDEMU issues

Post#51 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:25 am

I am having similar issues. I bought a 1.5 TB card so I could have a full USA and Japanese set plus translations, hacks, european exclusives, etc.

I used to use GDEMU_SD and it worked fine with the occasional error and having to remove _ at the end of folder names.

The card is a Micro SD with SD adapter Sandisk Extreme 1.5 tb

I put like 20 games on using gdmenu card manager 2.0 and it works with OpenMenu and GDMenu. If I put about 1 GB of games though I have trouble getting the menu to even load through GDEMU_SD and gdmenu card manager 2.0

I don't shrink games. I am using a TOSEC GDI set. There are a few CDI games like the hacks, and I use the utopia boot loader CDI renamed for section headers ie "********USA******** , just renamed.

I updated to the newest firmware, it's an OG GDEMU from 2014 not a clone. I finally after a ton of tries got it to boot in OpenMenu with about 980 games but then when I tried to launch the games it would freeze and not launch.

I am trying the Rufus method now.

Thinking it is either because it's micro and not normal SD plus the size. There aren't any other 1.5 TB SD cards on the market that I am aware of. Was gonna try to downgrade firmware as well. Unsure how that works since it's a pre-2016 model and there was a special way to get it to even update to the newest firmware.

My 512GB PNY is pretty rock solid though. I am throwing this in an arcade machine so that''s why I wanted the complete sets

I even tried GD_EMU SD but same issue. It seems like if I try to switch from OpenMenu to GDMenu in gdmenu card manager it breaks it every time and it will no longer boot to the menu.

Gonna do more testing.
Last edited by segafan1985 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

segafan1985
noob

Post#52 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:01 am

Hey guys! Happy to report it has gotta be the SD card. I have never had any issues with PNY cards (well that I am aware of) so I tried all of this on a PNY 1TB card that I took out of my Mistercade for testing. Sure enough, I have had almost zero problems since switching to this card. Unfortunately, I had to shrink about half of my USA games and I may run into issues there. However, everything is booting in OpenMenu including hacks and Atomiswave games with the new PNY 1TB Micro SD card.

I backed up my 01 and gdemu.ini file just in case but I think I got this problem licked. I was contemplating spending money on another ODE solution and am glad I didn't. I got my gdemu in 2014 when it was very hard to get one. I checked my email at like 3 AM PST after waking up randomly and checked my email and saw preorders had opened. I got very lucky.

This card gets super hot during writes so I just placed a Noctua fan with a PWM to USB converter on top to keep it cool during the write process. I had some errors previously but not sure if that had to do with heat or not.

I am stoked!

I am sure when more 1.5 TB and 2 TB SD cards come out to the market we can easily fit a complete set with no shrinking on a micro SD card and that's amazing to an old guy who dreamed of owning every Dreamcast game back in 99-2002.

So in summary switching from the SANDSISK 1.5 TB to PNY 1.0 TB did the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DL ... UTF8&psc=1

redjeff76
Anarki

Post#53 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 pm

It is most likely either a sd card issue (i would only use Fullsize Sandisk branded sd cards) or else it is the shitty sd card extender ribbon. If those get bent too much or are pinched or folded too much they cause issues. Best test to see if it is the ribbon, is to bypass the ribbon and plug your sd card directly into the GDEMU sd card slot and see if you still have issues. If it's the brand of sd card, I would order a card from Sandisk and see if you have issues still. I agree with other people, skip OpenMenu for now and just use GDMenu as your menu. Never compress your files on your card manager either.

Good Luck