Dreamcast Dev Kit - No video

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gydafud
noob

Dreamcast Dev Kit - No video

Post#1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 am

Hi all,

Got a bit of a unique situation here that hoping I might get some suggestions or next steps regarding. Pulled out a Dreamcast Devkit I have had in storage for about 10 years that I have never used because I never had all the appropriate hardware to set it up correctly. After setting up all the required additional hardware (terminators, SCSI adapters, etc) and attempting to boot the machine, I was unable to get a picture from it. A signal is being received by the TV but it almost looks like black scrolling lines.

**Things that are working**

* It boots up and is recognised by the PC
* Using the SDK tools, able to switch between all modes and the DA check all returns green
* There is audio when its in OS mode and I can hear the menu

**Things not working**

* No picture output with either composite, s-video or VGA
* The video capture from the SDK utilities (throws an error but that might be a PC setup issue)
* GDRom laser doesn't sound like its reading discs. I also get the same error sound when attempting to launch a disc through the OS that you'd normally get on a retail DC when it says to insert a disc. Disc does spin though.

**Things I have tried**

* Switching boot modes (OS mode, GD-Rom Mode, etc) through the SDK, and running test programs. Still no picture but I can see them running in the software.
* All the various dipswitch combinations and self check, which again seems to run but nothing output to screen
* Tear down and inspected for any obvious faults on the board, etc. Nothing looked obvious broken, busted, corroded, unseated, whatever.
* Adjusting the timing screw on the GD-rom. This worked for my Japanese DC when it stopped reading discs, but I always had a picture. No luck regardless.
* Tried re-flashing all the firmware and the boot ROM (I was so hesitant to do this but I don't think it made anything worse as the all the previous things working still do)

**Things I haven't tried**

* Swapping the GD-Rom for a working one from my other DCs
* Pulling apart the PSU and inspecting within.
* Manually checking components on the board with a multimeter
* Swapping the DAC (tbh, my biggest suspect atm)

**Other notes**

* First thing I did was dump the HDD but it was clear. No treasures to be found. Think this unit had never been used because of the reasons above.

So yeah, that is where I am currently at. The internet is littered with information all strewn apart, and unfortunately assembler games doesn't exist in the same capacity anymore. Trying here to see if there is any knowledge floating about. I think I have covered everything but if there are any obvious questions or information missing that need answering, ask away.

Thanks