Is it a bad idea to use a Noctua fan with a stock PSU+GDEMU?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Retrofan21
rebel

Re: Is it a bad idea to use a Noctua fan with a stock PSU+GDEMU?

Post#11 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:53 pm

xenphor wrote:
Retrofan21 wrote:This is my personal anecdote. I don't think it will get hot. I been using a resistor with a stock psu and GDEMU for almost 5 years and have not noticed any heat problems. Later I did the Noctua mod 2 years ago and overheating doesn't seem to be a problem. My mods have not negatively effect my scart cable and I play Dreamcast games primarily on SCART through the Toro vga box.

Is a 1/4W resistor the best option? I've also read people suggesting 1/2W or even 1W? Here is a post I found about it. I'm worried about the heat from the resistors based on this post.

I'm also kind of paranoid about removing the stock fan since the fan connector on the controller PCB seems quite fragile and I've already swapped fans a couple times. It seems like it could easily lose contact with the PCB.

I am very sorry but I cannot tell you which resistor to use. Its been so long since I did the mod I forget the resistor type I used. The fan connector is fragile but I don't remember the Noctua mod being too hard to install. However I did use the Laser Bear Nocuta kit: https://www.laserbear.net/products/drea ... -mount-kit I did the Noctua mod because my old stock fan was failing and figured that a Noctua fan would be easier to replace parts in the future. Sorry for rambling.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#12 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:49 pm

amcpartymix wrote:Since when was installing a Noctua fan a "nothing better to do" waste of time mod? From my understanding, the larger fan blows more air and cools the system better than the stock fan ever did. Not to mention, it's almost silent compared to the jet plane fan of the original. Now the consensus is to not even bother?

Quoting this for truth... The Noctua fan that a lot of people use has been measured as pushing out more air than the stock Dreamcast fan. Up until now, the strongest argument I've heard against this is "it feels like it's warmer", which is hardly a quantifiable measurement.

I'll be happily proven wrong when someone takes some additional measurements or Dreamcasts with Noctua fans start blowing up, but until then I'm comfortable believing there's nothing to worry about. I've had mine installed since I got the console last year, and it's been fine thus far.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:25 pm

Anyone want to buy a Noctuna fan let me no...

Not only did i waste money on a fan and a mount I ended up with a hotter system. After the 4 hour mark when heatsoak kicks in you will be wishing you had the noisy Sega Turbo fan.

lozz
core

Post#14 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:30 pm

We could do with a research unit to do scientific tests on these things. Maybe I'll submit an application for a grant from one of the big funding bodies ;)

In all seriousness though, if anyone has the time and equipment to run some proper tests and report the results that would be cool!

xenphor
shadow

Post#15 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:20 am

For me it was pretty obvious the Noctua wasn't moving as much air as the stock fan just by holding my hand near the vent. It's not that much of a difference but it's there. I can see why it would be fine for a modded system but I'm not sure it would be okay for an unmodded one.

Retrofan21
rebel

Post#16 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:30 pm

I just remembered also I replaced the thermal pads when I installed the Noctua Fan mod, so maybe that is why my dreamcast is not overheating with the Noctua Fan. Sorry for not remembering earlier.

Panja0
lithium

Post#17 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:56 am

I just installed the Noctua fan and it's a day and night difference.
My DC is now silent, loving it!

Retrofan21 wrote:I just remembered also I replaced the thermal pads when I installed the Noctua Fan mod, so maybe that is why my dreamcast is not overheating with the Noctua Fan. Sorry for not remembering earlier.

Which thermal pads did you use for this? I'm thinking about this as well.

Retrofan21
rebel

Post#18 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 am

Panja0 wrote:I just installed the Noctua fan and it's a day and night difference.
My DC is now silent, loving it!

Retrofan21 wrote:I just remembered also I replaced the thermal pads when I installed the Noctua Fan mod, so maybe that is why my dreamcast is not overheating with the Noctua Fan. Sorry for not remembering earlier.

Which thermal pads did you use for this? I'm thinking about this as well.

I used this 1.5mm pad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UY ... UTF8&psc=1

I cut the pad to make pads that fit the cpu and gpu.

Panja0
lithium

Post#19 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:54 am

Thanks!