Dreamshell problems!

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Stu1872
undertow

Dreamshell problems!

Post#1 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:35 am

I have bought a Dreamshell SD adapter V2 just to copy and save my VMU saves but i cannot get it to work.

As i have a gdemu i cannot load the disc that came with the adapter so i put a cdi image of Dreamshell 4.0 rc4 onto my gdemu sd card but when i launch Dreamshell in the gdemu menu the sd card is greyed out in the vmu manager. It doesn't show up in file manager either.

I have the DS folder on the root of the sd card in the adapter and i have tried multiple cards yet have had no luck in the vmu manager.

The light on the sd adapter lights up when i switch the console on but as soon as Dreamshell loads on the screen the light on the adapter goes off.

Can anyone tell me if using Dreamshell through the gdemu is possible?

What is the correct procedure/file structure on the sd card in the serial port?

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Dreamshell problems!

Post#2 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:38 am

Stu1872 wrote:I have bought a Dreamshell SD adapter V2 just to copy and save my VMU saves but i cannot get it to work.

As i have a gdemu i cannot load the disc that came with the adapter so i put a cdi image of Dreamshell 4.0 rc4 onto my gdemu sd card but when i launch Dreamshell in the gdemu menu the sd card is greyed out in the vmu manager. It doesn't show up in file manager either.

I have the DS folder on the root of the sd card in the adapter and i have tried multiple cards yet have had no luck in the vmu manager.

The light on the sd adapter lights up when i switch the console on but as soon as Dreamshell loads on the screen the light on the adapter goes off.

Can anyone tell me if using Dreamshell through the gdemu is possible?

What is the correct procedure/file structure on the sd card in the serial port?

The flash sd card is not being recognized. What kind of card is it and is it formatted for fat32, 32k cluster size.

I did a build for new dreamshell sd card users to test their new adapter out:
viewtopic.php?t=15062
Last edited by MoeFoh on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Stu1872
undertow

Post#3 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:36 am

It was an old Samsung 32gb micro SD card.
I formatted it using guiformater at 32k cluster.

I have tried with a brand new SanDisk 256gb card and get the same outcome.

I will download the file you uploaded and try again.

Stu1872
undertow

Post#4 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:52 am

Can dreamshell be loaded from just the serial adapter rather than through gdemu or does it not make any difference?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:13 am

Stu1872 wrote:Can dreamshell be loaded from just the serial adapter rather than through gdemu or does it not make any difference?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

If dreamshell is installed to the sd card, then all you need a is bootloader disc/cdi. Yes, the cdi can be run from GDEMU.

If dreamshell is not installed to the sd card, then you need the full dreamshell disc/cdi. Yes, the cdi can be run from GDEMU.

Also, I always recommend Rufus to partition & format sd cards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... mat_rufus/
Last edited by MoeFoh on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Stu1872
undertow

Post#6 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:49 am

I have found an old full sized SD card (Sandisk 4gb) which i formatted using rufus, stuck it in the Dreamcast via the V2 adapter and voila!

Dreamshell reads the card and i am able to save my VMU saves onto the SD card.

Thank you for putting me on the correct path of what could be the problem.