Issues booting console with TerraOnion Mode [resolved]

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Vega
noob

Issues booting console with TerraOnion Mode [resolved]

Post#1 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:53 pm

I really need help with my Dreamcast. I removed my Mode to put some new stuff on the SD card I use with it, and when I put it back in my console refuses to go to the Mode's menu. I boot the console, I get a black screen for a bit followed by a static Dreamcast logo with no animation. After a few minutes I wind up on the Time/Date screen and after getting past this I get a "Please wait while the disc is being checked" message. The sound is also weirdly low pitch and bizarre-sounding.

I've tried multiple things and so far nothing's worked. I've removed and reinserted the Mode (making sure it clicks into place as usual) several times, even went so far as to remove the PSU and try cleaning the PSU motherboard pins with some rubbing alcohol and it hasn't worked. Even tried booting up the console with the Mode completely removed, tried putting the Mode in with just the SD card taken out, and the same thing keeps happening. Seems to suggest the console isn't detecting the Mode even though I do see it's green lights come on so obviously the Mode is getting power.

Tried asking elsewhere and was told it could be a PSU issue (which is why I tried cleaning the pins). One suggestion was to slightly bend the PSU pins, if bending the pins is something I should try which direction should I bend them in (as in toward the controller ports or away from them)? I was looking up videos and at least one of them said that the direction you bend the pins depends on the region of your console so I want to make sure I don't screw it up (I have an NTSC-U console with a number 1 on the bottom). If bending the pins isn't the answer then does this mean I need to get a new PSU or is my Mode just screwed?

Update: Turns out, I'm an idiot. I was watching videos of Mode installation to refresh my memory and it turns out I completely overlooked the fact that it wasn't fully plugged into the connector. I can't believe I overlooked something that simple.