New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

bubby124
noob

Re: New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Post#101 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:If I were him, I would stop translating because of comments and pushy users like that.

Didn't mean to "Thank" this post, in fact that's the exact opposite of what I wanted to do... :lol:

Nexus222
shadow

Post#102 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:19 pm

Pokeytax wrote:Just reaffirming that I have been working for the last three months and making solid progress. I am confident of completing the project. No news is good news.

well, seeing as this user has only made 2 posts, both being about a year ago at this point, and has not logged in sense the start of october, I guess this project is offically "STALLED" But I will not let this be the ...

I know this has been started many times thruy the years, and this was the best attempt, so I will bve spending the next week or 2, gathering the data from this and the other projects, and see if i can get ahold of anybody that would like to help out, but this is being finshed. I read up a bit on how they were dealing with the very limited space for the English alphabet characters, making full translations impossible to put in the game, but it seems that in this thread, that solution was solved, and I am not sitting heree waiting years for a user to post once or twice a year saying " TRUST ME, ITS ALL GOOD"..... That is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what someone " making great progress"| on one of the longest, unsolved, gaming projects of our time.So here is what we need.

[u]We need the full translation of the game [/u] (I have seen this claimed to be patrial or fully done in a few spots, NOT VERIFIED,will post links later, If you have any links to this please share so i have less translations to do.)

We need to be able to deal with the half spaceing for english characters - (again, somewhere in this thread i glanced and saw something on this, will do a deep dive UPDATE: So I have followed the step adnd have reproduced fixing the spacing, so sweet.)

REPLACING THE TEXT Need to practice actually replacing lines with the english text ( any guides to doing this translation will help me incase i encounter issues or get stuck, so again, PLEASE, post links)

WE NEED HELP.- I link this thread, to the FLYCAST reddit page, and shared some info behind it, then I shared this with a few other communitites, but now ill share it some more, THIS IS THE TIME WHERE WE FINSH THIS PROJECT. https://www.reddit.com/r/FlyCast/commen ... empt_need/
Last edited by Nexus222 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stringer_bell
lithium

Post#103 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 pm

I like this guy.

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#104 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:33 am

Nexus222 wrote:
Pokeytax wrote:Just reaffirming that I have been working for the last three months and making solid progress. I am confident of completing the project. No news is good news.

well, seeing as this user has only made 2 posts, both being about a year ago at this point, and has not logged in sense the start of october, I guess this project is offically "STALLED" But I will not let this be the ...

I know this has been started many times thruy the years, and this was the best attempt, so I will bve spending the next week or 2, gathering the data from this and the other projects, and see if i can get ahold of anybody that would like to help out, but this is being finshed. I read up a bit on how they were dealing with the very limited space for the English alphabet characters, making full translations impossible to put in the game, but it seems that in this thread, that solution was solved, and I am not sitting heree waiting years for a user to post once or twice a year saying " TRUST ME, ITS ALL GOOD"..... That is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what someone " making great progress"| on one of the longest, unsolved, gaming projects of our time.So here is what we need.

[u]We need the full translation of the game [/u] (I have seen this in a few spots, will post links later)

We need to be able to deal with the half spaceing for english characters - (again, somewhere in this thread i glanced and saw something on this, will do a deep dive)

WE NEED HELP.- I link this thread, to the FLYCAST reddit page, and shared some info behind it, then I shared this with a few other communitites, but now ill share it some more, THIS IS THE TIME WHERE WE FINSH THIS PROJECT.
God speed my friend. I've wanted to truly experience this game since I was 14... Your determination is greatly appreciated and highly respected.

Abra
noob

Post#105 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:47 am

Nexus222 wrote:

[u]We need the full translation of the game [/u] (I have seen this in a few spots, will post links later)

We need to be able to deal with the half spaceing for english characters - (again, somewhere in this thread i glanced and saw something on this, will do a deep dive)

WE NEED HELP.- I link this thread, to the FLYCAST reddit page, and shared some info behind it, then I shared this with a few other communitites, but now ill share it some more, THIS IS THE TIME WHERE WE FINSH THIS PROJECT.

Good Luck. Always wanted to play this gem. Still hoping to see the translation at some point)

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#106 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:54 am

For what it's worth, I know that this is not a stalled project. Not everyone in the translation patch development scene likes to take time to post regular updates on public forums.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

bingobongo
minority

Post#107 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:16 am

I don't understand why, at this point, all the people involved in separate translations don't just pool together all their tools, files, documents, translations, etc... into one place (i.e. here) so that others can also have a go at this. It seems pointless to have two or three or four people do exactly the same work, which could also be very tedious and time-consuming - and this would only slow everything down for them when it's totally unnecessary.

Like many others here, I've been eager to see this translated and there have been at least four or five people who have come forward over the last decade saying they were working on it. Perhaps someone can get them to work together?

Nexus222
shadow

Post#108 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:19 am

I have reached out over 2 weeks, messaged every human i could find associated with any project for segagaga. Got like 2 replys, and i am teaming up with one, hes lived in japan for 15 years onw, english as his first lanuage, so This will finsh off the translation. But this will be done in weeks, not years. I am tired of people "claiming" to be doing this, because they look at the folder holding the work once every other month and decides" yup, Ill get there eventually, PROJECT STILL IN MOTION" So, I will keep you guys upto date here. This is what i accomplished in about 72 hours of looking in to this project.

1. I have about 75% of the game totally translated at this moment, and i got native speakers to help finsh.
2. I have tested the fix for the spacing issue, the one part that should have been the ONLY reason for stalling this project back in the day, but ha been sense solved.
3. I found what i believe to be the games text, ( or some of it) but i only peaked at it breifly yesterday. So the only way to help this along faster right now, Is to find any info on the specific replacement of the text.

I am not some pro here. This is my first translation. I have never done a translation before. I AM the only one making DC HD texture packs, but I just want to give to the community i love so much. So no.... I wont sped an hour a month and call it progress.... I want this done in the next 30 days MAX. So if anyone wants to help out, feel free to reach out. But I am not waiting on anybody else. I have done that for like 8 years now.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#109 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:15 pm

Nexus222 wrote:I have reached out over 2 weeks, messaged every human i could find associated with any project for segagaga. Got like 2 replys, and i am teaming up with one, hes lived in japan for 15 years onw, english as his first lanuage, so This will finsh off the translation. But this will be done in weeks, not years. I am tired of people "claiming" to be doing this, because they look at the folder holding the work once every other month and decides" yup, Ill get there eventually, PROJECT STILL IN MOTION" So, I will keep you guys upto date here. This is what i accomplished in about 72 hours of looking in to this project.

1. I have about 75% of the game totally translated at this moment, and i got native speakers to help finsh.
2. I have tested the fix for the spacing issue, the one part that should have been the ONLY reason for stalling this project back in the day, but ha been sense solved.
3. I found what i believe to be the games text, ( or some of it) but i only peaked at it breifly yesterday. So the only way to help this along faster right now, Is to find any info on the specific replacement of the text.

I am not some pro here. This is my first translation. I have never done a translation before. I AM the only one making DC HD texture packs, but I just want to give to the community i love so much. So no.... I wont sped an hour a month and call it progress.... I want this done in the next 30 days MAX. So if anyone wants to help out, feel free to reach out. But I am not waiting on anybody else. I have done that for like 8 years now.

Firstly, let me say I admire your ambition and also your desire to give back to this scene. By and large, that's what drives me as well.

However, I felt it prudent to say a few words...

For your "weeks not years" project, may I ask who is writing the compression/decompression tools? As I'm sure you're aware, the graphics are all compressed (as are potentially other assets), and live inside various containers (I believe they had the .MRG File extension).

An MRG container extractor and file decompressor was publicly shared on the Dreamcast-Talk forums, but to my knowledge nobody had shared any container rebuilder or compression tools.

Moreover, how do you plan to do the extraction and rebuilding of the .MES files holding the dialogue (and other) text? Or the text extract/rebuild of strings embedded in the game executable? This is another area where custom tools come into play.

I sincerely hope you don't plan on opening a hex editor and doing an in-place update of the text, as this will surely result in an inferior translation. If you can use ASCII instead of Shift-JIS encoded text, you at least have twice as much space to work with, but it will not come without considerable concessions and compromises. Part of what makes quality translation projects is polish, and the ability to more-or-less use as much localized text as you need in order to convey an idea. SGGG, in my opinion, is a game sorely deserving of such treatment.

There's "icing on the cake" components to this as well, like altering assembly code to accommodate different texture sizes when the original one holding some stylized Japanese text is too small. However, these are not 100% necessary for a good patch, in my opinion. They do help make a great one, though.

I'd also like to comment on the tile-spacing. This was not the big (biggest?) challenge many faced. In fact, modifying the game's assembly to use narrower tile-spacing isn't difficult for most seasoned romhackers. However, SGGG uses the Dreamcast's baked-in BIOS font. Additionally, it only supports two-byte Shift-JIS encoding, rather than single-byte ASCII.

That said, I don't recall if the modified version of the game's executable that megavolt85 shared was also modified to use the ASCII portion of the BIOS font, as well as modified so that all of the text-rendering functions now interpret single-byte ASCII rather than two-byte Shift-JIS. I presume this is something you've already tested.

You may also want to verify that the modified text-rendering code handles text rendered in every part of the game. There's a good chance it does, but I've seen it go the other way many, many times. There's often duplicate or similar code strewn throughout a game for handling similar tasks in different areas.

Last item for you to consider is subtitling FMVs, though this is honestly probably the easiest part of the whole project, as they're all standard SFDs and not encrypted in any way.

Anyway, best of luck!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#110 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:48 pm

I appreciate people are excited to see this game translated, and that we’ve been burnt by abandoned translation attempts in the past, but somebody has posted on this thread not even a full year ago confirming that they have been working on a translation. Myself, ateam and some others worked on Nakoruru and that took more than a year - and that was a team endeavour, not solo. Please be patient.
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk