openMenu Alpha 1

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

letsgome
shadow

Re: openMenu Alpha 1

Post#501 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
letsgome wrote:Is it possible to change the disc swap functionality using openMenu to lock the disc swap button to the selected hidden multi-disc game? The use-case for this would be like if you are playing D2 and you have a swap from disc 3 to disc 1. If you have a 1TB or a 512GB SD Card full of games this is not practical because you have to go through the full redump set to get back to disc 1. I think people more often than not use a separate SD Card just for D2, but if it is locked to the selected game then you wouldn't have to. Maybe add an option in the menu because it is better to give people the choice, but I can't imagine a reason why you would use the disc swap button other than if you are selecting discs of the same game.

Oh, there are times you need to go from disc 3 to disc 1?

I had to make an sd card of only the fishing rod games with no menu because gdmenu does not support the fishing rod to control the menu - and ended up using the hardware button for game selection.

I'll be testing the sega fishing rod with openMenu today.
megavolt85 has made changes: "fix for fishing rod controller."

I am not sure if there is a situation where you specifically have to go from disc 3 to disc 1, but the game does have non-linear disc swapping. I think there is a couple other games on other systems that are similar. Deathmask on Saturn for example has 3 discs and if you need to backtrack to get an item you missed you have to load a previous disc. These games are pretty niche, but I think that it is nice we are able to take the time to focus on the special cases and make sure these games still work with modern mods.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#502 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:00 pm

ChuChu wrote:An example of this would be Pop'n Music 3 and Pop'n Music 4, which are "append discs" that require loading Pop'n Music 2 first and then swapping discs.

Here are patches I created to make 3 and 4 standalone, requiring no disc swap.

https://github.com/DerekPascarella/Popn ... hDreamcast
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

megavolt85
Developer

Post#503 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 pm

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#504 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:05 pm

megavolt85 wrote:latest build openmenu
https://github.com/megavolt85/openmenu/releases/latest

Hi! Whats new in this build?
From love, with Russia :)

megavolt85
Developer

Post#505 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Strik3r91 wrote:Hi! Whats new in this build?

full changelog

The main feature is the addition of virtual folders when sorting is enabled.
Well, I finally understood why transparency for the Scroll style did not work and finally added a blinking cursor like in GDMENU

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#506 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 pm

How does code breaker work?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#507 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:09 pm

I would love to see keyboard support for open menu

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#508 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:36 pm

WSAD and arrow keys for moving around the menu, Enter and Space for launch game. ESC key for reboot F1 for the OSD

megavolt85
Developer

Post#509 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:37 am

deluxux wrote:How does code breaker work?

There is no need to add a codebreaker image, just use the B button to start the game and in the menu that appears, agree to launch the codebreaker with the A button.

Regarding input devices, I plan to rewrite the input system later and I will do an additional user survey.
although, if anyone has free time, create a topic with a poll about what is missing in the openmenu, let users share their opinions and what may be added over time

jandal55
noob

Post#510 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:17 pm

> just use the B button to start the game and in the menu that appears, agree to launch the codebreaker with the A button.

Oh this makes sense now - I have been using the last release just recently and was wondering why every now and then I'd boot into codebreaker!

Nice feature - enjoying your releases. Just need to sort out artwork for homebrews etc and I'll be fully set!