Smash pack version 2?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dark
Shark Patrol

Smash pack version 2?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:31 pm

We all know the DC got smash pack vol 1, and then of course it got cracked and released with hundreds of roms. But did you know that Sega made a smash pack vol 2 for PC, and once again it's mostly Genesis Roms plus Sega swirl?

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Smash_Pack_2

That got me thinking... It could be low hanging fruit to rip whatever menu graphics/music/sfx the official pc Sega smash pack vol 2 has, limit the selection to the same games, maybe use one of the better Genesis emus we have on the DC these days + a rip of Sega swirl, and if desired, adopt the official box art for a dc jewelcase to basically recreate smash pack vol 2 on DC, which we surely would have gotten had DC not been discontinued.

What do you think, would this be cool or would it be boring since the functionality without slick menus and packaging mostly already exists in whatever Genesis maximum rom package you might already have for use with DC?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Smash pack version 2?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:48 pm

I remember hearing about this version years ago. I think you might be onto something here to convert the same titles on that disc over to the V.1 DC files. Menu replication no matter how basic could be doable as well.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm

The game selection is pretty good imo. Better than smash pack 1.

Comix Zone
Flicky
Kid Chameleon
Sega Swirl
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
Super Hang-On
Vectorman 2

Mkk_hanzo
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:18 pm

It sounds a neat idea. I always liked the idea of "retro compilations disks" on the DC, now that the Genesis emulator is way better, something like the "SEGA AGES" line can be done with awesome menu and all. Golden Axe Trilogy, Phantasy Star Collection etc.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:02 pm

Phantasy Star Collection i did fully complete can find it on the forum