[REQUEST] SCUMMVM: Kings Quest Collection W 5 & 6

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Kbackman427
shadow

[REQUEST] SCUMMVM: Kings Quest Collection W 5 & 6

Post#1 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm

The Kings Quest adventure game series was always a favorite for many PC games late 80s and early 90's. Particularly Kings Quest 6 CD-rom version is a fan favorite of many point and click adventure fans. I have tried making my own SCUMMVM CDI disks following guides online and can not seem to get the games to show up in the list when it boots the SCUMMVM DC program. I am using a GDEMU loader.

I found one of ShindouGo's wonderful SCUMMVM collection of French titles including the Kings Quest 5 & 6 French version in own of his volumes and I almost died of Dreamcast excitement. Sadly I do not speak french so I can not play the game but know that its possible and runs well on Dreamcast so I know it is possible.

SCUMMVM Downloads Forum on this site has tons of great point and clicks but sadly no Kings quest 5 or 6 that I could find.

If someone could make a kings quest collection of all the Kings Quests 1-6 and maybe even 7 all in one I think it would increase the amount of great games in the Dreamcast Emulation scene. And unlike many emulators this one tends to work really well on DC for those of you that have not tried it yet. A Kings Quest Collection could be a great thing for many to have in their DC collection.

Until then we will all keep Dreaming and Dreamcasting....

As a side note: I still remember as a kid my Dad installing KQ6 on our family computer hard drive with the 12 floppy disks it came with before we had CD-Rom. Thats a lot of floopy disks. The luckier kids down the street had a new CD-rom computer with the CD Version so my brother & I tried to get invited to their house with a chance to play it.

kremiso
Rank 9

Re: [REQUEST] SCUMMVM: Kings Quest Collection W 5 & 6

Post#2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:30 am

Kbackman427 wrote:...I have tried making my own SCUMMVM CDI disks following guides online and can not seem to get the games to show up in the list when it boots the SCUMMVM DC program. I am using a GDEMU loader.

Hello, i have some questions
what scummdc version have you tried?
do you have a DC keyboard? kq1..4 are surely better played via keyboard
cannot remember atm, but iirc chapters 5 and 6 use icons instead of text?

btw two plugins are required, AGI.plg for old king quest 1..4, and SCI.plg for chapters 4(there is an sci release too)..7 (plus the chapter one remake too)

EDIT in this thread there are some details about the AGI games :

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13619

Kbackman427
shadow

Post#3 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:45 pm

I am using the SCUMMVM DC 2.5.1 and using boot dreams to make a CDI with a GDEMU loader.

No matter what I do it always says please insert disk at the ScummVM DC Menu. The other ones people made have the games in the list. I am new at this and must be missing a step. I have a DC Keyboard but am more concerned playing Kings Quest 5 and 6 the ones that got rid of the typing commands.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#4 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 am

i see
please read my reply here :

https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=16495

should help you in solve your issues
btw, i'll make a KQ release too, at some point :)

Kbackman427
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:19 am

kremiso wrote:i see
please read my reply here :

https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=16495

should help you in solve your issues
btw, i'll make a KQ release too, at some point :)

Hi and Thank you so much for helping me. So I tried again with ScummVMCD version 2.5.1 and with boot dreams. Same issue insert game disk when booting.

My CDI folder is like this
Folder- KQ5
Folder- KQ6
Folder- PLUGINS
file- 000DUMMY.DAT
file- IP.bin
file- SUMMVM.bin

The PLUGINS folder looks like this.
DETECTION.plg
SCI.plg
SCUMM.plg
SCUMMVM.bin

If I get this working I will posted in on the ScummVMDC page on this site as a handful of people would probably like these.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#6 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:20 am

Kbackman427 wrote:Hi and Thank you so much for helping me. So I tried again with ScummVMCD version 2.5.1 and with boot dreams. Same issue insert game disk when booting.

Folder- KQ5
Folder- KQ6
Folder- PLUGINS
file- 000DUMMY.DAT
file- IP.bin
file- SUMMVM.bin

DETECTION.plg
SCI.plg
SCUMM.plg
SCUMMVM.bin

If I get this working I will posted in on the ScummVMDC page on this site as a handful of people would probably like these.

no problem, i'm around this from a long time now :)
seems all ok on your side, i presume the SUMMVM.bin (instead of SCUMMVM.bin) in your root folder it's just a typo

maybe you have a wrong gamefiles then, not recognizable or with different checksum(s)

check if this works on your side, KQ5 and 6 (floppy version), .cdi
scummvm 2.5.1
you could also extract the main files, add your gamefolders, and repack, just to check :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7mdqawc4l2agb12/KingQuest_V&VI_floppy.zip/file

Kbackman427
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:54 pm

kremiso wrote:
Kbackman427 wrote:Hi and Thank you so much for helping me. So I tried again with ScummVMCD version 2.5.1 and with boot dreams. Same issue insert game disk when booting.

Folder- KQ5
Folder- KQ6
Folder- PLUGINS
file- 000DUMMY.DAT
file- IP.bin
file- SUMMVM.bin

DETECTION.plg
SCI.plg
SCUMM.plg
SCUMMVM.bin

no problem, i'm around this from a long time now :)
seems all ok on your side, i presume the SUMMVM.bin (instead of SCUMMVM.bin) in your root folder it's just a typo

maybe you have a wrong gamefiles then, not recognizable or with different checksum(s)

check if this works on your side, KQ5 and 6 (floppy version), .cdi
scummvm 2.5.1
you could also extract the main files, add your gamefolders, and repack, just to check :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7mdqawc4l2agb12/KingQuest_V&VI_floppy.zip/file

This works. Its not the CDrom version but It is still great. Thank you so much.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:14 pm

dont forget sega master system had port of the early kings quest with joystick controls no keybaord needed..

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#9 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:17 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:dont forget sega master system had port of the early kings quest with joystick controls no keybaord needed..

I did not know this version, watching some tube videos atm, seems interesting, with a good and fast compromise interface

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#10 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:21 pm

Kbackman427 wrote:This works. Its not the CDrom version but It is still great. Thank you so much.

nice to know
i have tried KQ5 CD here, it works ok
i have this set of files :
kq5cd_files.JPG